Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
nirvana

What Are The Electronics & Electricals You Regret Buying?

Hi guys, I just bought my house and now going through the mortgage stuff. Crossing my fingers I will get my keys by early August!

Searching for ID/contractors now and also sourcing for furnitures and E&Es.

This is my first house and I really look forward to make it sui sui, been diligently coming to forum to learn more about what to look out for. I especially like the thread on "what material you regret installing" under the "maintenance & repair" and thought I will do one up for E&E.

Any one to start the ball rolling?? :):sport-smiley-004:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi guys, I just bought my house and now going through the mortgage stuff. Crossing my fingers I will get my keys by early August!

Searching for ID/contractors now and also sourcing for furnitures and E&Es.

This is my first house and I really look forward to make it sui sui, been diligently coming to forum to learn more about what to look out for. I especially like the thread on "what material you regret installing" under the "maintenance & repair" and thought I will do one up for E&E.

Any one to start the ball rolling?? :):sport-smiley-004:

I have got a place but its not done up yet. However, based on my sister's experience - I would say that a feature wall is something you can do w/o. Reasons are: a)tiles are expensive b)if workmanship is not good, it looks bad c)its a dust/dirt accumulator d) the in-thing look will be out of fashion eventually.

Just my thoughts.

I have got a place but its not done up yet. However, based on my sister's experience - I would say that a feature wall is something you can do w/o. Reasons are: a)tiles are expensive b)if workmanship is not good, it looks bad c)its a dust/dirt accumulator d) the in-thing look will be out of fashion eventually.

Just my thoughts.

I agree with Wally. Feature walls to hang your plasma/lcd is a complete waste of $ unless you really need everything to be streamline. You can get really nice european design tv consoles (there are some that can allow you to hang the tv) all around these days.

Perhaps it is the garment steamer. The result was not really as good as we thought.

In the end, we bought an iron and ironing board, still the best.

bought a steam cleanner by roman ....... completely useless .... can't clean anything at all

electrolux washer. Its my first and my last.

I bought their flagship model (tilt drum) which cost 2k. Door latch broke after less than 20 wash. Laundry trap inside and nobody can get it out.

Technician bring the washer back to factory and all my laundry come back with black stain (looks like oil stain) and not a single word of apology.

Despite washing few times, still cannot get rid of it. In the end, need to throw all my clothing away (cost me a few hundreds dollars).

Initially, told me need to wait for 2 weeks for parts from japan, i called them everyday to chase and it came back in 5 days. (Either bullsh abt the turnaround time or too many lemon washer to repair).

Overall, Lousy quality and service. I will suggest everyone to avoid this brand.

I bought their flagship model (tilt drum) which cost 2k. Door latch broke after less than 20 wash. Laundry trap inside and nobody can get it out.

Technician bring the washer back to factory and all my laundry come back with black stain (looks like oil stain) and not a single word of apology.

Despite washing few times, still cannot get rid of it. In the end, need to throw all my clothing away (cost me a few hundreds dollars).

Initially, told me need to wait for 2 weeks for parts from japan, i called them everyday to chase and it came back in 5 days. (Either bullsh abt the turnaround time or too many lemon washer to repair).

Overall, Lousy quality and service. I will suggest everyone to avoid this brand.

That's lousy...any other experience with other front load washer?

What about a dryer?? Is it that useful?

A storage water heater which drinks electricity like Cookie Monster devours cookies - Its heating element is 3 kW fixed!

Whereas instant water heater with Stepless Electronic Temperature Control can vary their heating power from 850W to 3.7 kW.

This thread is very useful. Please do keep the posting coming.

I will be getting keys soon so will be glad to know more.

As for myself, the electronics I regretted buying will be the garment steamer too, and Watson feet massager.

I love my Shimono portable vacuum cleaner and 2100W philips hairdryer. The latter is specially useful to blow dry my dog. It used to take 45minutes to 1 hr to blow dry her completely, now it takes 15mins. =)

I'll post more when I think of any

Steam Iron -- Clothing not straight at all. In the end I bought a conventional iron.

Scooba -- Troublesome to use. Noisy and take long time to clean

Battery spoilt just after a few months.

Wow... listening to your story might almost convince me to use up bonus to get a miele instead.

I agree with Wally. Feature walls to hang your plasma/lcd is a complete waste of $ unless you really need everything to be streamline. You can get really nice european design tv consoles (there are some that can allow you to hang the tv) all around these days.

Yes I share the same sentiment. That is the main reason I opt for a nice TV console instead. It will not restrict to the same location, won't be out of fashion, can change design or concept easily and mayb coz I foresee I will change TV a lot ! ;p haha

BTW I am still searching for a practical & nice TV console to fit in PS3, DVD player, Onkyo amp. Any suggestions ? Max length I can get is 2.5m ...

Thx

Yes I share the same sentiment. That is the main reason I opt for a nice TV console instead. It will not restrict to the same location, won't be out of fashion, can change design or concept easily and mayb coz I foresee I will change TV a lot ! ;p haha

BTW I am still searching for a practical & nice TV console to fit in PS3, DVD player, Onkyo amp. Any suggestions ? Max length I can get is 2.5m ...

Thx

Hi You mention using a tv console will not be restricted to the same location. Does it mean that if I want to change tv location I can easily get the electrician to install another scv point at the new location ? Is that possible ? Pls help. Thanks.

Hi You mention using a tv console will not be restricted to the same location. Does it mean that if I want to change tv location I can easily get the electrician to install another scv point at the new location ? Is that possible ? Pls help. Thanks.

Hi pooh_bear,

First of all, u must plan very carefully where you want to put the SCV point in your living room. I suggest if you like the idea of occasional rearranging of your TV console, place the SCV point somewhere in the central part of the living room. This means that when you shift the TV console + your TV, you only have to extend the SCV wiring to a certain position (still hidden by the TV console).

Getting an electrician to install another SCV point and wiring at new location can be done, of course. But cost you time and $$.

Another way is that if you really want to shift your TV around, juz do 2 SCV points during your renovation.

Good luck planning ! :)