kkyysky

Beware! Check Your Paint

我是个台湾人,因为工作的关系住在新加坡快五年 ’刚买了房子装修完,发现新加坡设计公司(装修公司)给我们"假的"油漆,

我们真的投诉无门,希望大家评评理

我们选了一间不便宜的设计公司"Lourve,设计师Dennis在与我们讨论油漆时我们选择了ICI "light and space"

还有"all in one"二种油漆分别涂在厨房跟所有其它的地方,总共报价1700

大概只有1400平方尺的空间,因为我本身对於油漆味及一些化学原料过敏,全身会开始起红疹,心跳加快

所以我们愿意付高价选择ICI标榜低VOC的二个有环保标章的油漆,却没有想到房子在交屋的过程,我们发现他们

竟然给我们的是"Maxilite"油漆!!明明是Maxilite的油漆桶,却贴上"all in one"或者是"light and space"的油漆编号标签,

我们深感被骗!! 我与老公二个人直接找ICI总公司的人投诉,得到的回应竟然是"就算用的是maxilite的油漆,

油漆干掉后的一星期,就不会再有味道及化学原料散出"而打发了我们,

而Lourve公司又说如果我们真的在意,那可以请我们搬出去,他们会派人重新涂上一层我们要的油漆!

我们不知道到底是哪里出了问题,会让ICI明明知道这种油漆公司会拿"Maxilite"的油漆假装是"all in one"....

或其它有环保标章的产品来贩卖给消费者,却无能为力,无法可管!!!而我们也不是在新加坡第一件发生这样事情的消费者

在大律师不愿意接这种虽然是欺骗案子却是小案例,去case要等三个月之下 纵使我们握有证据及ICI的化验报告

我们只能放弃追诉,并接受此L公司的"小小赔偿",我们万万没有想到在法律甚严,人人守法的新加坡会发生这样的

欺骗消费者事件,这和之前中国不肖商人卖假奶粉毒死很多的婴儿有什么两样??只是用不好的油漆毒不死人,所以没有人

愿意在意~~而我们除了痛心也对新加坡愈来愈失去信心!!!

:curse:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

:curse: I’m a Taiwanese working in Singapore. My husband and I just got our new home renovated, but realized the renovation company used “ FAKE” Paint. We felt really helpless and has no one to turn to. Just want to share my story.

The company we chose is "Lourve” and they are not cheap.

the designer is called Dennis and when we discussed about what paint to be used, we specifically chose ICI "light and space" and "all in one", to be painted in the kitchen and all other walls respectively. Then he quoted us $1700 for the area of 1400 sqft.

I am very particular about the paint because I’m very sensitive to the smell and certain chemicals. Exposure to them will cause my skin to develop rashes and my heart to beat very fast. Thus we don’t mind spending more money to get the ICI green label paint because it is supposed to be very environmentally friendly, without the chemicals I’m allergic to.

To my horror, during the handing over, we realized they used "Maxilite" paint instead of what we asked for. We found out because the workers were careless enough to leave behind the "Maxilite" paint bucket, with the code number of ICI "all in one" and "light and space" pasted on it.

We felt so cheated and we lodged a complaint directly to the ICI main office, only to be brushed off with the reply: “even if Maxtlite paint was used, all the chemicals and smell will be gone after one week”

And when confronted, Lourve offered to repaint our house using the paint we wanted, but that means we have to move out and how inconvenient will that be!

We do not understand how this could have happened. We were told by the representative from ICI that we are not the first victims of such practice.

These companies try to rip consumers off by shamelessly using regular "Maxilite" paint to pull off as “all in one" or other Green label paint, and usually people will not notice the difference.

ICI obviously know that this is an ongoing practice but they are not about to do anything about it? How could this be?

Even though this is a case of frad, it is too minor for lawyers to entertain. We went to CASE too but have to wait for 3 months

We finally decided to give up and accept the compensation of a mere $500 from Lourve.

I would never expect this to happen in a law abiding country like Singapore. When consumers get cheated like that, it is so difficult to seek justice!

I can’t help feeling, how is this different from the China milk powder case that killed so many babies? Just because using poor quality paint will not cause death doesn’t mean people should treat it lightly. If I had stayed over night in the house when it was freshly painted, I could very well be lying in the hospital!

Other than feeling extremely upset, I am also losing faith in Singapore.

Just want to share my experience with all of u who are reading, and hope you guys will not be cheated like we were.

:curse: I’m a Taiwanese working in Singapore. My husband and I just got our new home renovated, but realized the renovation company used “ FAKE” Paint. We felt really helpless and has no one to turn to. Just want to share my story.

the designer is called Dennis and when we discussed about what paint to be used, we specifically chose ICI "light and space" and "all in one", to be painted in the kitchen and all other walls respectively. Then he quoted us $1700 for the area of 1400 sqft.

I am very particular about the paint because I’m very sensitive to the smell and certain chemicals. Exposure to them will cause my skin to develop rashes and my heart to beat very fast. Thus we don’t mind spending more money to get the ICI green label paint because it is supposed to be very environmentally friendly, without the chemicals I’m allergic to.

To my horror, during the handing over, we realized they used "Maxilite" paint instead of what we asked for. We found out because the workers were careless enough to leave behind the "Maxilite" paint bucket, with the code number of ICI "all in one" and "light and space" pasted on it.

We felt so cheated and we lodged a complaint directly to the ICI main office, only to be brushed off with the reply: “even if Maxtlite paint was used, all the chemicals and smell will be gone after one week”

And when confronted, Lourve offered to repaint our house using the paint we wanted, but that means we have to move out and how inconvenient will that be!

We do not understand how this could have happened. We were told by the representative from ICI that we are not the first victims of such practice.

These companies try to rip consumers off by shamelessly using regular "Maxilite" paint to pull off as “all in one" or other Green label paint, and usually people will not notice the difference.

ICI obviously know that this is an ongoing practice but they are not about to do anything about it? How could this be?

Even though this is a case of frad, it is too minor for lawyers to entertain. We went to CASE too but have to wait for 3 months

We finally decided to give up and accept the compensation of a mere $500 from Lourve.

I would never expect this to happen in a law abiding country like Singapore. When consumers get cheated like that, it is so difficult to seek justice!

I can’t help feeling, how is this different from the China milk powder case that killed so many babies? Just because using poor quality paint will not cause death doesn’t mean people should treat it lightly. If I had stayed over night in the house when it was freshly painted, I could very well be lying in the hospital!

Other than feeling extremely upset, I am also losing faith in Singapore.

Just want to share my experience with all of u who are reading, and hope you guys will not be cheated like we were.

Wow..must beware!

我是个台湾人,因为工作的关系住在新加坡快五年 ’刚买了房子装修完,发现新加坡设计公司(装修公司)给我们"假的"油漆,

我们真的投诉无门,希望大家评评理

我们选了一间不便宜的设计公司"Lourve,设计师Dennis在与我们讨论油漆时我们选择了ICI "light and space"

还有"all in one"二种油漆分别涂在厨房跟所有其它的地方,总共报价1700

大概只有1400平方尺的空间,因为我本身对於油漆味及一些化学原料过敏,全身会开始起红疹,心跳加快

所以我们愿意付高价选择ICI标榜低VOC的二个有环保标章的油漆,却没有想到房子在交屋的过程,我们发现他们

竟然给我们的是"Maxilite"油漆!!明明是Maxilite的油漆桶,却贴上"all in one"或者是"light and space"的油漆编号标签,

我们深感被骗!! 我与老公二个人直接找ICI总公司的人投诉,得到的回应竟然是"就算用的是maxilite的油漆,

油漆干掉后的一星期,就不会再有味道及化学原料散出"而打发了我们,

而Lourve公司又说如果我们真的在意,那可以请我们搬出去,他们会派人重新涂上一层我们要的油漆!

我们不知道到底是哪里出了问题,会让ICI明明知道这种油漆公司会拿"Maxilite"的油漆假装是"all in one"....

或其它有环保标章的产品来贩卖给消费者,却无能为力,无法可管!!!而我们也不是在新加坡第一件发生这样事情的消费者

在大律师不愿意接这种虽然是欺骗案子却是小案例,去case要等三个月之下 纵使我们握有证据及ICI的化验报告

我们只能放弃追诉,并接受此L公司的"小小赔偿",我们万万没有想到在法律甚严,人人守法的新加坡会发生这样的

欺骗消费者事件,这和之前中国不肖商人卖假奶粉毒死很多的婴儿有什么两样??只是用不好的油漆毒不死人,所以没有人

愿意在意~~而我们除了痛心也对新加坡愈来愈失去信心!!!

:curse:

So sad...

From my own experience, the painter used Maxilite metal container to store the paint. Reason being that the paint I requested for is not available in the amount required for the job, thus, they poured into a bigger container, i.e. Maxilite 20l metal container. It does not necessary imply that Maxilite paint was used.

They even used some marine paint container (suppose to be even higher grade), does that mean they are giving me a higher grade paint? No.

The very fact that light and space code was pasted on the Maxilite container, doesn't that already imply that they are not using Maxilite paint?

From my own experience, the painter used Maxilite metal container to store the paint. Reason being that the paint I requested for is not available in the amount required for the job, thus, they poured into a bigger container, i.e. Maxilite 20l metal container. It does not necessary imply that Maxilite paint was used.

They even used some marine paint container (suppose to be even higher grade), does that mean they are giving me a higher grade paint? No.

The very fact that light and space code was pasted on the Maxilite container, doesn't that already imply that they are not using Maxilite paint?

maxilite is ici's economical series ie. maxilite is cheaper than 'all in one' and 'light and space'.

a sticker does not change the paint. they admitted to using fake paint. they compensated for it. anyway, if they had bought the 'all in one' paint for use in your house, the paint should come together with the tin right? unless they need the tin to cheat someone else? :)

maxilite is ici's economical series ie. maxilite is cheaper than 'all in one' and 'light and space'.

a sticker does not change the paint. they admitted to using fake paint. they compensated for it. anyway, if they had bought the 'all in one' paint for use in your house, the paint should come together with the tin right? unless they need the tin to cheat someone else? :)

If the intention is to cheat, surely they would not be silly enough to leave a sticker behind?

I know Maxilite is the economical series. So based on your logic, my previous painter was using paint from a marine paint tin (even of higher grade) to paint my house? I'm sure they enjoy making a loss like this. The tins might not necessary be reflective of the paints it hold, especially when they buy it from retail outlets that sell non-standard quantity (e.g. 1l, 5l, 20l).

If the intention is to cheat, surely they would not be silly enough to leave a sticker behind?

I know Maxilite is the economical series. So based on your logic, my previous painter was using paint from a marine paint tin (even of higher grade) to paint my house? I'm sure they enjoy making a loss like this. The tins might not necessary be reflective of the paints it hold, especially when they buy it from retail outlets that sell non-standard quantity (e.g. 1l, 5l, 20l).

I thought Ossify already said that the designer admitted to cheating. So why is lipton so insistent on defending the designer? The point is the designer cheated and this is apparently quite a common trick by designers. I have also experienced my designer (Super Onion Studio / Three-D Conceptwerke) pulling the same trick on me too. The workers also used the bigger tin and my designer also gave me the same excuse that the bigger tin is for mixing the paint. But the paint was clearly not the paint I have chosen, which is supposed to be water-proof. The paint on my walls comes off easily with water! So, everyone should be aware. Never trust your painter/designer who tells you that the bigger tin is just for mixing. Check the paint on the wall. Better still watch them when they mix the paint and when the start painting. Make sure the workers are using the right paint. If anything doesn't look right, ask the worker immediately. You are a paying customer and so you have every right to ask!!!!

Edited by CLA

@KKYYsky I am sorry this had to happen to you especially when you were only after chemical-free paint. I had feedback from a chemist that some chemicals linger for years and do not disappear. Those that do disappear often disintegrate to other invisible fumes that are actually toxic and bad for our health!

I personally feel they should compensate you with a place to live temporarily while they REDO your place!

I have included your news in my blog so others may be more aware. http://myqute.com/3055

@KKYYsky I am sorry this had to happen to you especially when you were only after chemical-free paint. I had feedback from a chemist that some chemicals linger for years and do not disappear. Those that do disappear often disintegrate to other invisible fumes that are actually toxic and bad for our health!

I personally feel they should compensate you with a place to live temporarily while they REDO your place!

I have included your news in my blog so others may be more aware. http://myqute.com/3055

How do we know that we are being given the correct paint? I mean nowadays, they are able to custom-mix the paint color you choose hence even if you choose a paint color that is only available for the 3-in-1, Medifresh etc, you also wouldn't know. My ID used custom-mixed lower grade paint for my 1st coat, 2nd coat he claimed that he will use Easywash (which is what I requested). I have no idea whether I will be given that for sure or not, especially when I see the Easywash paint cans are so tiny, how can it possibly cover the walls? Unless it's super diluted with the lower grade paint..

hmmm.. now that u mention it, i never check is the paint used the same as stated in the contract.. In the last paragraph u say u r losing faith in SG, well, it's e same where u go, not onli in SG, so cool dn..

Hope everything's fine for u! :)

Substitute paint is a common trick used by ah beng contractors. A 20L matex cost ~$48 while a 5L Wash&Wear cost ~$60. So u can see why they are doing this. Another trick is when u engage professional painters, the contractor substitute with non-professional bangla to put up the paint.

I feel for you.. at the very least like some one mentioned here, they should have arranged for your accommodation while they repainted your unit. We can hope, but we all know no ID/contractor will do this. Then again, why would you trust that they'll use the correct paint this time round right?

But still......

**** serious la, to lose faith in a country because of one contractor. I've been ripped off in other ways in other countries but still am giving the rest of their population the benefit of doubt. Contractors all over the world are like that. I've dealt with/heard of stories about contractors in Australia, America and Israel...and I reckon it's a pre-requisite to be dishonest to be able to be a contractor.. Which could be a reason why forums were set up in the first place. But hey, we share your pain, there's a rant outlet and we'll all come out wiser right?