Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ilmare612

Manuel Drying Methods

With immediate effect, PUB will be increased by 7%. We are happy with our city gas dryer so far but I am trying to cut on small little areas as such. As both me and hubby work in the day and will be back when the sky turns dark...how do I air my laundry? I can't possibily hang my laundry out of the windows as it's been raining almost every afternoon. By keeping the laundry indoor (which we are doing now...we converted one of our bedrooms to a 'laundry room'), our laundry gets a funny smell each time. The kind of smell your mum will tell you "Girl ah, lack of sun lah. Must sun it".

Is there a solution to prevent these smell? Even when I don't get to sun it?

Edited by ilmare612

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

"TOP" brand of laundry detergent got a special formula to avoid this smell problem. Not too sure how effective it is, cos I use it under partial sun.

hi,

fyi. my clothes have been dried indoor for more than 8years and so far no problm. this is bcoz both of us r working and we hang our already washed clothes indoor and it is perfectly dried by the night time.

if you have funny smell, you can wash your clothes with softnener. it will help to give a light frangrance. btw, i have been using TOP anti-bacteria washing powder (the yellow packing) since day 1 and all my clothes r well washed. me & hb worked in construction site environment so i need some of those anti-bacteria type of washing aid.

sometimes, you can let it hang there for 2 more days to air the clothes. the smell will go away also.

hope the above helps.

Hi, thanks for the advice. We do use softener as well. But I cannot remember my detergent brand as it's been transfered to a smaller tin. Shall recee and find out tomorrow. Btw, do you close your windows fully when you air your clothes indoor?

Hi leen & yoongf, I have checked...I am also using TOP laundry detergent but it's the blue packaging one for coloured clothing. I walked pass that room this morning, you can really smell it boy! Think my unwashed laundry also dun have that smell. You think if I put the air dehumilzer thingy in that room will help?

Close window??

For laundry to dry, there must be cross ventilation, as such.. windows must be open and there must be air movement, ie.. fresh air from windows pass laundry then out the room door. If a room has no ventilation, then the moisture from the clothes will simply stagnate in the room, and such high humidity areas will result in very stale air. This is ideal environment for air borne dieseases.

Simply putting a fan in the room will not work. It needs air exchange with outside air to remove the moisture.

Hi, thanks for the advice. We do use softener as well. But I cannot remember my detergent brand as it's been transfered to a smaller tin. Shall recee and find out tomorrow. Btw, do you close your windows fully when you air your clothes indoor?

yes, i think its best if you can open your windows a bit to let the fresh air to come in. i am using a green colour packaging of washing powder to wash my clothes, so far so good. even if weekdays i am working, and airing my clothes indoors, it also got no smell. but i forgot what's that brand already. or else wash your clothes on a wkday nite, and clip the clothes on the bamboo, wait next morning then take it in again. it will be 80% dry already.

i have been air drying my clothes for years. Have to put it near the window, leave some openings for air circulation. Best to put it near a window that will catch a bit of sunlight.

Hi All,

Thanks for the contribution. We are begining to see 'light' now.

Why we put our laundry in that room is purely because the sun shines into that room. We thought the sun will be helpful. What we did not do is probably because WE DID NOT OPEN THE WINDOW...for fear that the rain (if it rains) will come in and wet the clothes and room. That's probably the reason why it created that smell...I guessed :bangwall:

We are experimenting now to have the top part of the window open and hopefully this will make those smell go away. If it's still so difficult, I will resume to use the dryer more regularly bah :unsure:

Pinklady, that method of airing the clothes on bamboo pole outside the window in the night is what we have been doing too. The next morning, we bring it into the room to dry indoor, near a window where the sun shines in. What we did not do is open the window. So got smell lor. :(

Edited by ilmare612