Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Nikar

Problem With Drilling On Tiles

Hi,

How do you drill through ceramic tiles without the drill bit sliding off the tiles?

I saw some website articles where they said to paste masking tape on the area of the tile where you want to drill, so as to prevent the drill from sliding.

I tried that but it's useless. Immediately after my drill bit has pierce through the masking tape layer, the drill bit starts sliding all over the tile. I've also tried pasting multiple layers of masking tape, but well.... :rolleyes:

I'm using the carbide-tip drill for tiles, which is the correct type of drill bit.

Any ideas? Btw, if anyone here provides services like what I require, pls PM me or e-mail me at xeon@outgun.com, or reply to this thread.

Thanks! :D

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Stick masking tape.

Use pencil to mark out location, and draw some extra extension lines like a target. When u start drilling, the location mark will be gone, so these extension line will be useful.

Use a hammer and the drill bit, to lightly chip away a dent, to create a depression so that the drill bit will sit at the exact location.

Once u get a rough depression, then can start drilling. Can do the same for homo tiles.

Stick masking tape.

Use pencil to mark out location, and draw some extra extension lines like a target. When u start drilling, the location mark will be gone, so these extension line will be useful.

Yeah, that's exactly what I did, but after the drill bit has drilled through the masking tape, it starts sliding all over the place.

Use a hammer and the drill bit, to lightly chip away a dent, to create a depression so that the drill bit will sit at the exact location. Once u get a rough depression, then can start drilling. Can do the same for homo tiles.

Lol, I don't dare to use hammer to chip a dent cos' the ceramic tile is just the tile by itself (not pasted on those walls that kind). The thickness is only like 0.5 cm so I think if I exert a bit too much force, the whole tile will crack.

Btw, are there anywhere in Singapore that provides drilling on ceramic tiles?

I've like 30+ tiles to drill through.

hello everyone! check with u all... does drilling on the toilet wall tiles chip off surface of the tiles? is this normal?

What do you mean chip off surface of tile? would you like to post a picture?

hello everyone! check with u all... does drilling on the toilet wall tiles chip off surface of the tiles? is this normal?

The correct way of drilling tile is to make use of tile drill bit. Any DIY shop will sell this

Use this drill bit, disable the hammer function and drill through the tile. Once u have created a hole on the tile, change to a normal masonry drill bit and continue to drill through the wall

Edited by hawthorne