Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Ebe

Copper Piping Vs Stainless Piping

I find that stainless steel rust after some time. Not sure if this happens to others. Copper pipe seems to be more reliable.

True stainless steel does not rust. If it does, then it is low quality stainless steel that has high iron content that was used. Usually the steel specs are printed along the pipes. Mine does not have such problems. Copper oxidises over time, creating greenish copper oxide which is not advisable to be ingested. That is why HDB water piping coming into our homes is of stainless steel.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
True stainless steel does not rust. If it does, then it is low quality stainless steel that has high iron content that was used. Usually the steel specs are printed along the pipes. Mine does not have such problems. Copper oxidises over time, creating greenish copper oxide which is not advisable to be ingested. That is why HDB water piping coming into our homes is of stainless steel.

how can we determine the quality of the stainless steel used? what is a reasonable high grade one which will not rust?

our ID installed copper piping when we indicated we want stainless steel piping :furious: - going to ask him to redo all in stainless steel; but wanna know how to know the grade of stainless steel so he doesn't take us for a ride.

anyone able to advise? thanks

I also have this problem. My quotation stated stainless steel but copper was provided, and already concealed inside the wall. The foreman said that stainless steel will have stain over time. He added that copper is more expensive than SS.

something for your consideration.

It is NOT TRUE that TRUE stainless steel doesn't rust...... as long as there is iron content in that stainless steel, there is the ability to rust. In other words, ALL stainless steel will rust, given exposure to oxygen and time. Its just a case of how long it will take to rust that differentiates the good from the average....

can someone here let me of the implications of using either type?

My ID told me stainless stainless steel & copper piping price are same.

Also consider the risk of rust, we decided to use copper piping..

Is it copper pipe really 100% rust proof except of it's ugly look???

Rdgs

Rdgs

If you specify Australia copper pipe, which is thicker and will cost more.

Copper don't rust, but will oxidise.

Rdgs

ya. copper pipe don't rust. it doesn't really look ugly. if you're talking abt the copper oxide, then just make sure you clean them off or paint them. they would just look as good as new.

basically lets put it this way for future owners who want to renovate their house

if you choose copper, the pipe need painting. After few years, it requires new layer of paint as it does peel off. Especially so in the bathroom as these are the area of the highest moisture.

if you choose stainless steel, most stainless steel are pretty much standard in house renovation. Grade or no grade, how do we identify, you aren't going to check the source of the stainless steel before installation right?

Still remember 20 years ago, HDB is still using PVC pipe. Those can easily last 20 years before giving way. Reason why now there is copper or stainless steel is because we have hot and cold mixer in our tap.

To sum it up, if you are those type who will do painting once every few years, can consider getting copper.

basically lets put it this way for future owners who want to renovate their house

if you choose copper, the pipe need painting. After few years, it requires new layer of paint as it does peel off. Especially so in the bathroom as these are the area of the highest moisture.

if you choose stainless steel, most stainless steel are pretty much standard in house renovation. Grade or no grade, how do we identify, you aren't going to check the source of the stainless steel before installation right?

Still remember 20 years ago, HDB is still using PVC pipe. Those can easily last 20 years before giving way. Reason why now there is copper or stainless steel is because we have hot and cold mixer in our tap.

To sum it up, if you are those type who will do painting once every few years, can consider getting copper.

short and sweet. :D

the grade is usually printed on the stainless steel piping itself... if one is kaypoh enough to look through your house' piping, should be able to find :lol: Stainless steel 304 is more than enough - even in chemical industry, 304 piping is commonly used for water.

actually, rust is also caused by oxidation of iron... just like copper oxidises to form copper oxide mah... i dun quite understand why ppl have an issue with stainless steel rusting (very minimal usually), but dun have an issue with copper oxidising (can be quite obvious) :unsure: if you ask me, i'd prefer iron (III) oxide than copper oxide.

Someone was also asking me whether I am choosing copper or stainless steel for the water pipe. I do agree that stainless steel need NO painting and it blends well with the stainless steel tap mixers.

My ID is going to get pissed off with me soon....have been asking him to make so many changes from electrical sockets (to cater for 2-pins friendly type, ofcourse got to pay extra $$$ for single & double sockets) and now, the piping! :disturb: