Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tantc

Question About Pine Wood

Hi,

I went to a tmber merchant and ask about pine wood... apparently, they say that IKEA sells them the cheapest... although IKEA would sell them as part of the shelving etc and not for DIY purposes....

any comments ?

basically, where to buy big piece of pine wood for DIY cabinet....

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi,

I went to a tmber merchant and ask about pine wood... apparently, they say that IKEA sells them the cheapest... although IKEA would sell them as part of the shelving etc and not for DIY purposes....

any comments ?

basically, where to buy big piece of pine wood for DIY cabinet....

if u want to know why pine is cheap. cause it is crap. I wanted cheap last time and made some shelves using pine from my timber shop. within a year. everything was spoilt. due to moisture and the most freaking thing. TERMITES. termites love pine wood from ikea and any pine,

I spent 600 engaging a pest buster to get rid of the termites. till today still got attacks. and i swear never to use pine again. really crap things for crap prices.

if u want to know why pine is cheap. cause it is crap. I wanted cheap last time and made some shelves using pine from my timber shop. within a year. everything was spoilt. due to moisture and the most freaking thing. TERMITES. termites love pine wood from ikea and any pine,

I spent 600 engaging a pest buster to get rid of the termites. till today still got attacks. and i swear never to use pine again. really crap things for crap prices.

Hmm if you were to use pine, try to lacquer it. It wil give you a better finish and prevent termite attack.

pine classified under soft wood and it is cheap cause it is renewable source (pine wood grow faster than normal other wood type)

For solid hard wood will be ash, oak and etc..

Otherwise, will be plywood.

For pine.. definitely need to use lacquer or stain to prevent termites.

pine classified under soft wood and it is cheap cause it is renewable source (pine wood grow faster than normal other wood type)

For solid hard wood will be ash, oak and etc..

Otherwise, will be plywood.

For pine.. definitely need to use lacquer or stain to prevent termites.

Ikea is unstained right? if you treat it for termites for the pine, will be cheaper using treated plywoods already

Ikea is unstained right? if you treat it for termites for the pine, will be cheaper using treated plywoods already

Yeah .. Ikea sold unstained pine. plywood is not easy to handle. Using Laminate with ply is also not easy... :)

ike3a pine stuff needs to be varnish / laquered

was thinking of gettin ikea's solid birch kitchen trolley/ worktop

any idea ikea's soild birch stuffprone to termites?

--- need to varnish & laquer?

tia

I have a solid pine cabinet shelf from ikea 11years ago and it is still working fine. I guess it all depends on how you take care of the stuff. Fo sure, you can stain or laquer the ikea furniture to make it last longer.

Should have no problem with ikea stuffs so far. In fact most most of the furniture at home are from ikea.

As for the solid birch wood top, they are fine. Ikea sells them treated.

Cheers.

I have a solid pine cabinet shelf from ikea 11years ago and it is still working fine. I guess it all depends on how you take care of the stuff. Fo sure, you can stain or laquer the ikea furniture to make it last longer.

Should have no problem with ikea stuffs so far. In fact most most of the furniture at home are from ikea.

As for the solid birch wood top, they are fine. Ikea sells them treated.

Cheers.

ty capo _irman

was jus afraid ikea solid birch stuff's termite prone

ty happy 2010