Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jo54anne

Painting Walls By Our Own

my my...

I am bad with colours, lol

I am leaving the painting to my contractor, but I hav to tell him what colours to paint ma, headache,

I see the trend is not to paint the whole room/area same colour, lol :P

which shld be the deciding factor and consider the main wall...

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

i prefer painting myself because you can be proud of it. plus the money save can be used to buy more thing.

i painted my 5i house just with my wife, she do the bottom part like near skirting or corner corner. i paint the bigger ones.

finish everything in 2 days but from morning to nite

For painting a new coat of white paint over a previous white wall is the more problematic part. (e.g. ceiling)

Last time when I painted my house, I cannot tell where I have stopped, or which part I have not painted yet.

Luckily, there is a new product (i think by nippon) that the paint will be pink when wet and it will turn white when it has dried. Maybe u can check out this product. Should make your DIY painting life a little easier

that new product is expensive and is meant for ceilings only :)

it'll be better to make pencil markings on the wall to indicate that it's not yet painted

i prefer painting myself because you can be proud of it. plus the money save can be used to buy more thing.

i painted my 5i house just with my wife, she do the bottom part like near skirting or corner corner. i paint the bigger ones.

congratulations! what paint/sealer did you use and how much did you spend in total? if possible, share the accessories you bought to help you paint easier?

congratulations! what paint/sealer did you use and how much did you spend in total? if possible, share the accessories you bought to help you paint easier?

normally i dont reuse the roller brush cause dont like to wash.. finish that color for that color throw away. lazy to wash.

only keep the L metal piece (i dont know the name), just buy spare roller brush. if i not wrong $1.50 or $2.50.

list of things need b4 painting...

1. newspaper to cover floor. even better if you got big plastic sheet.

2. metal poles or wooder poles for ceiling and wall with roller brush.

3. hat or hair cover.

4. white maskind tape for covering.

4. extra brush and roller brush, just buy spare.

5. the flat pail for roller brush..(heheh i dont know the name. just ask the hardware shop)

6. minyak tanah... turpentine izzit for cleaning stubborn paint.

7. the roller brush assembly, i buy 2 big one and 2 small ones.

8. the paint sealer for the whole house.. very big can, 15 liter or 20 liter.

9. one 5 liter can for 1 room. normally got spare.

10. three 5 liter can for living dining.

11. paint stirer (hehehehe i used the wooden one for cooking)

depending on the type of paint.. the cost for me is bout $350 - $450 i think ,cant remember for my 5I house. 3 in 1 now cost 65 bucks.

and a lot of sweat, water, coke, ice lemon tea, ice, packet rice,

but of course husband and wife must work together..

anyway i always use nippon paint.

if you can get friends to help. walau 1 day can finish

refer to this

http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-paint-room2.htm

Edited by samdolmat

Good job!

We also plan to do ourselves.

DIY painting can be backbreaking, but worth it. I still cannot believe how much it cost to get walls painted. it's actually quite fun too. just make sure you tape down the skirting and cover up the floor. if you do a good job, it's very satisfying, and you save quite a bit of money.

wow! u sure are one brave soul to attempt to paint the house urself.. can be gratifying since ure painting it urself.. guess u have to be prepared for the time and effort for it..

good luck! :)

If paint myself, where to buy those tools ? How much will it cost in total ?

Also, if I need to do capentry work by contractor, do I do one layer before, and one layer after the capentry work?

Thanks!

Daiso sells many painting gear.

I bought the big 7" roller, and the small 2" roller from them.

Also bought a sandpaper holder (to make your wall smooth after painting)

They also sell things like wood filler (useful to cover holes in doors)

Halo All,

I think painting/repainting wall should not be as difficult as re-painting the pipe.

My quotation seem exp for the painting part.

Thinking of diy, but got afraid after remember that the pipe is very dirty.

Anyone know the best way to repaint the pipe?

TIA

Halo All,

I think painting/repainting wall should not be as difficult as re-painting the pipe.

My quotation seem exp for the painting part.

Thinking of diy, but got afraid after remember that the pipe is very dirty.

Anyone know the best way to repaint the pipe?

TIA

Just wipe clean your pipes of dust, dirt and any oil residue. If you don't like your hands to get too close to the dirt first, use a vacuum cleaner with the brush head to vacuum the dust and dirt first. It gets rid of 80% of the dirtiness already. Wear gloves and wipe with damp cloth.

And paint with oil-based paint using normal paint brush. You will need to apply at least 2 coats.

if have some drill holes left in the wall by previous furnitures, where to get the filler for it? roughly how much cost ?

if have some drill holes left in the wall by previous furnitures, where to get the filler for it? roughly how much cost ?

go to any hardware shop and buy wall putty. should be less than 10 bucks. Hope this helps.