Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
gakuseisean

Living Room Inspiration

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

MIDCENTURY

Here'a a new one, something inspired by the Mid-century era, as well as a local showflat (seen below).

Midcentury.jpg

midcenturyinspiration.jpg

Click here to see a render of a layout furnished with these items.

Alternatively, click here to see an updated version of this lookbook.

Edited by gakuseisean

Your idea is looking good, i do not know how it looks after execution. I used an online guide (Guide to Home Renovation & Remodeling; Interior & exterior Improvements www.hometoolsdepot.com) for my home making and they are great in guiding people.

Thanks

Hi,

Need some inputs...

My theme for my living room is black and white. My sofa is white, TV console is black and white.. Need wallpapers for my feature wall... but don't know what kind to choose. Any ideas from anyone? :)

Hi,

Need some inputs...

My theme for my living room is black and white. My sofa is white, TV console is black and white.. Need wallpapers for my feature wall... but don't know what kind to choose. Any ideas from anyone? :)

I suppose you're going for the contemporary look? Or are you going for the black and white modern take on baroque styles?

I'm just going to give some suggestions based on the suggestion that it's not the latter.

10937.jpg

Wallpaper from Goodrich

apartmenttherapy.jpg

If you want something very avant-garde, try this. Paste newspapers on the wall and lacquer over them (a DIY project), that being said, it would yellow over time. Alternatively, if you're not so bold, try the below example for a similar (but less permanent effect).

bigidea_aug_img.jpg

Edited by gakuseisean

In continuation (cause I couldn't post too many images in one post),

Truth be told, my suggestion would be to use wall art instead of wallpaper. Trust me, I have this wall that is wallpapered as a feature wall, and after a few years, it gets a little boring. In the case of prints, at least you can change what's framed up for something fresh.

In light of that, can I suggest using black and white photos, they are very classy looking.

homesandgardens2.jpg

Alternative use very vibrant pop-art for contrast, something like this:

roy_lichtenstein_drowning_girl.jpg

And I know you were just asking about wall treatment, but can I suggest that you add a little bit of wood into your decor, like the example below. It makes it a little less harsh. Maybe just one or two pieces would be nice (it could even be the picture frames).

chenchowlittle10.jpg

That being said ignore this last piece of advice if you want your home to look extremely sleek (so sleek that it could cut).

Lastly, do check out Goodrich, they have a very wide array of wallpapers (that last). I would know, that wallpapered wall I talked about earlier in my own home is from there.

Thank you very much, gakuseisean. (student sean?) Hehe.

You inputs are highly valuable!!

I definitely need wallpaper on one side of the wall because it's been boarded up by boards and looks real ugly without wallpaper. :(

I still have another side of the wall in which I think I could take up your idea to putting some art pieces... probably not black and white... I'm afraid it'll look tooo lifeless. I like the vibrant pop art idea but need to think more about it.. or "research". DUnno anything about such things. hahaha..

Thanks again for your help!!! :D

Talking about Goodrich, you remember the installation fees?

I've shortlisted Goodrich and Europa..

Sorry it was installed years ago. Can't quite remember the price. And I'm glad that I could help.

Edited by gakuseisean

For those wondering how I would have furnished a flat using the furniture I suggested earlier (Mid Century Inspired), check this out. (pardon the poor lighting in the 3D model, I'm no professional)

20101230031542_9m0s.png

Edited by gakuseisean

SCANDINAVIAN DINING AREA

This is the first time I'm posting a dining area, inspired by Scandinavian design.

DiningUpdated2c.jpg

Items Used:

Wishbone Chair

Available at Space Furniture. Replicas available at stores like Lush-Lush and Comfort Furniture and Picket & Rail.

Tulip Table

Available at Dream Interiors. Replicas available at Evov, Lush-Lush, Comfort Furniture and many other stores.

Louis Poulsen PH 4/3 Pendent Lamp

Available at Space Furniture. Used/Vintage ones available on eBay (just try searching). Replicas can also be found on eBay, and perhaps local retailers like LightCraft.

Wall Lamps

Similar ones can be found at Lightcraft or any good/reputable lightings shop.

Componibili Round Tower

Available at Kartell.

Vintage Plane Model

Available at The Wright Gift. Alternatively, try eBay.

Picture Frames

Available at Ikea.

Vintage Fan

Try departmental stores like Tangs or Robinsons. Alternatively, Lorgans should also carry some every now and then.

If you like this design, or would like to know a bit more about how to make such a look work, leave a comment on this link.

Edited by gakuseisean

SCANDINAVIAN-ESQUE APARTMENT

In continuation with the Scandinavian-esque designs:

Crisp cream walls with warm wood floors and a neutral palate.

LivingAndDining2011-05-0100024200000ee.png

Dining.png

Bedroom2011-05-0716482500000eee.png

MBathroom_e-1.png

And for the bathroom, something that you don't see very often in Singapore homes - Subway tiles.

If you like this design, or would like to know a bit more about how to make such a look work, leave a comment on this link.

Edited by gakuseisean

[NEO]-CLASSICAL HOME, PART 1

One theme that many Singaporeans seem to like, but fail to understand how to execute properly is the [neo]Classical one. A common mistake when it comes to execution is firstly, the backbone of the style - the setting itself. So below are some [fundemental] aspects that would help to increase the authenticity of your home's design, should you choose to go with a classical theme.

I'm basing this write-up on my understanding of the neo-classical (i.e. late 18th, early 19th Century) design ethos.

Classic1.jpg

It's somewhat colonial/Greek Revival in style in this render, somewhat simplified, but the basic elements remain the same, and more importantly, the atmosphere is there.

1. Wall Panelling

In the above picture, I've showed a fully-panneled wall, which is common in many formal classical settings. On a fully pannelled wall with two indented regions, the lower indented region is usually about one-third the wall's height.

An alternative that is less formal, though equally period-appropriate is panelling up to a chair-rail (see below). Basically, its panelled up to about one-thirds of the wall, similar to how it is done with full-height wall panelling. The unpanneled part could either be painted as done in the picture below, or wallpapered.

wainscoting.jpg

2. Cornice & other Ceiling Pieces

Often neglected also is the cornice, perhaps due to its association with older (and arguably less stylish) homes from the 80s. Nevertheless, a cornice is also another key fundemental aspect of a neo-classical home. It should be nothing too exaggerated, but not too over-simplified as well.

An optional but highly-recommended addition is a ceiling medallion. Its a round plaster thingy (see below) meant to decorate the ceiling, and beautify the start of a light fixture.

beamed_sam4.jpg

3. Baseboard

Also really important. Evidently, the people of old had some form of dislike for sharp and abrupt lines (i.e. those of minimalism/modernism), hence the gentle and deliberate progression from ceiling to walls to floors. They tend to be white in classical rooms, but may also be in the same shade as the wood floor, depending on the degree of formality of the room.

4. Floor

In the first picture (the render), I've used a dark parquet. This is common in many modern refurbishments of historical homes, in line with current tastes, but it may not be the most period appropriate. More appropriate would be a mid-brown parquet that is laid in a herringbone or cheveron manner (see below)

2075627408_0ffb8e3126.jpg

In order to soften the look, a carpet was usually placed over the parquet - rugs like Persian carpets or similarly richly decorated ones.

Alternatively, entirely-carpeted floors were common as well, but that is not extremely practical in Singapore, and also it'll probably make your home feel like a hotel room. Marble floors were also uncommon, and were usually reserved for palatial settings.

Also, one final point to note: Most rooms in classical homes tend to be rectangular/square/any other similar permutations in shape, and not L-shaped like most apartments are these days. So subdividing your space into rectangular areas (e.g. a dedicated dining space seperated by an archway/pillars) would add to the authenticity.

As a conclusion to this short write-up, it should be noted that many classical homes complete wall to ceiling panelling, and while half-wall pannels are common, there are exceptions. However the bare minimum would be a good baseboard, (perhaps) a chair rail and also definitely the cornice.

Edited by gakuseisean