Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
LeeWK

How To Remove Old Silicon From Basin

I need to remove old & dirty silicon from 2 of my toilet wash basin. My contractor says difficult.

Anyone konw of any quick & efficient way of removing them as I want to re-apply a new coat of silicon. Putting a new coat on existing one will not work long term.

Thanks!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
I need to remove old & dirty silicon from 2 of my toilet wash basin. My contractor says difficult.

Anyone konw of any quick & efficient way of removing them as I want to re-apply a new coat of silicon. Putting a new coat on existing one will not work long term.

Thanks!

Don't understand what you meant.

My plumber was able to remove the silicon from my water basin in just a couple of minutes. He basically cut it and then tore it out with his hands. It should not be difficult unless you are refering to some other kind of silicon.

Don't understand what you meant.

My plumber was able to remove the silicon from my water basin in just a couple of minutes. He basically cut it and then tore it out with his hands. It should not be difficult unless you are refering to some other kind of silicon.

The silicon is spread unevenly around the top side of the basin which is below a marble top. I guessed it is about 10 years already. I can manually scrap it off but it will take at least a few hours for 1 basin.

If there is some sort of grease or application which can facilitate the removal of this scum in less than 15 minutes.

10 yrs worth of mold is almost impossible to remove even by chemicals. Like one of the members put it another thread ....'The mold has successfully applied for PR status on the sillicon strip'.

However, U might want to try Mr. Muscle's 'Mold Remover'. Its available from all major hydermarts and retails @ $5.50 plus. I'm able to remove the mold from my shower-screens and sink's sillicon strips with it....but mine's only stayed abt 12 mths......gd luck.

Thanks!

hi, a hardened sillicon can be easily removed by using a sharp pen knife. no agents can be use for removing sillicon unless it's applied within less than 5mins. my dad is a glass and mirror manufacturer and he deals with sillicon everyday.

hope my suggestion helps

cheers