Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kiven78

Ackerman & Smith Pte Ltd

i think most salesman will deliberately up the price then reduce since the product in question is exclusive to their shop...end of day its up to us to decide whether product is worth the price.

Sofa wise my opinion is maybe you could take some pics of target sofa and head on to trustworthy HDB furniture shop eg S & C (search for their reviews in forum and u ll understand) and show them the pics,most likely they have similar models made in neighbor countries like malaysia/china/indonesia...price wise you can compare for yourselves but make sure you got the specs correct e.g check whether its full/half leather ( latter is usually recommended ).If im not wrong you could save substantially by this proven method through trustworthy HDB shop retailer.

Last resort if you have much determination and grit,go ahead and shoot them through small claims court.You will need to go through consultation 1,2 and then hearings - which is dubbed judgement day,if they were to deny their wrong doings and persist on.If you were to enter this stage please persevere on and let god do the rest for you,sweet victory will come swiftly on hearings.There is no legal nor consultation fee involve other than the small fees of registering ($10) and paying for a meager sum of like $6 for a copy of respondents ROC,our own transportation and time,we were really glad that we persist in that matter.Entire process took us a bout 2 months plus if i remember correctly all the way from 1st & 2nd consultation during which respondent blatantly deny mentioning that mattress in concern is the one used by Westin Stamford hotel,then finally hearings day.

Now we are waiting for our cheque,we will definitely enforce the court order if they fail to deliver us our hard-earned $400 deposit.

alrighty then...maybe i look ard at S&C, Hommage etc first see if they carry this sofa or if they able

to custom make it.

thats the thing im concerned with coz she could deny any wrong doings coz the invoice only states the total cost (after so called discounts) and my verbal phone enquiry was just that...unless

like zhiz suggest i could get a friend to go down and get them to write down in black and white the

prices respectively and use this to claim back...hmmmm....

should i in the first place tell them i wna cancel order or just straight away file claims?

2 months and $16 spent to claim seems do-able...

looks like i have to source for the sofa elsewhere by this week coz if i cant find, will not waste the 1k

and proceed with the sofa purchase instead...

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
if the sofa is found in a few places, chances are is that its found in a lot of other places.

Maybe take a pic and show us what it looks like.

try defu, hommage, s&c , shops around IFC.

hi...as requested,

sofa pic i kapo from forumer Coffee-O's blog (hope you dun mind, Coffee!) :P

sofaslideout.th.jpg

getting a half leather one...

alrighty then...maybe i look ard at S&C, Hommage etc first see if they carry this sofa or if they able

to custom make it.

thats the thing im concerned with coz she could deny any wrong doings coz the invoice only states the total cost (after so called discounts) and my verbal phone enquiry was just that...unless

like zhiz suggest i could get a friend to go down and get them to write down in black and white the

should i in the first place tell them i wna cancel order or just straight away file claims?

looks like i have to source for the sofa elsewhere by this week coz if i cant find, will not waste the 1k

go on a weekend at peak hours. bring a friend. let your fren shop first and get the prices of items down (get their best price) in black and white. then once fren is done, you go in to ask to change your order to those items at those prices. bring a recording devise to tap down the whole exchange.

if they deny, then ask for reasons, get them to talk as much as possible with whatever excuse they have.

if things turn ugly and you feel there is really no way you can recover your money, tell them you want cancel order/full refund/ and you tap down the conversation already and you are going to file a claim against them and write in all the forums about this incident.

hi...as requested,

sofa pic i kapo from forumer Coffee-O's blog (hope you dun mind, Coffee!) :P

sofaslideout.th.jpg

getting a half leather one...

Hi Nino,

this is exactly the one which we saw @ furniture HQ AMK central selling @ $2888- full leather,we merely took couple of pics as usual saying that we need to consult our ID for design advice...after consolidating our preferred pieces we head over to S & C,where we were wowed over by their sincere,passion,professionalism,patient and frankness on choice furniture in full accordance to our style,design concept,# of children and so on, needless to say we commit on their futuristic tv-console,coffee table,dining set w 4 chairs and the same sofa (black cos of our 7yr old little horror) with side-able seats (half-leather) no need for full-leather as its redundant to have leather wrap round the frame,we might as well have the $ use on better aspects.We decided on committing with S & C after scouring through countless furniture shops due to:

1> Their reasonable pricing.

2> Impressive knowledge of furniture specs/pros n cons/aspects.

3> Their frankness and professionalism and understanding.

4> Peace of mind and comfortable with their high service standrads with zero pressure applied on us throughout the entire process.

5> Updated designer design @ affordable price - thanks to melvin's frequent oversea trips.

Will post pics of our choice furniture on our upcoming T-blog which i will most probably start after we got our keys on 16 Dec 09 ;)

Edited by kiven78

to custom make it.

my own opinion on your current dilemma,i would most probably :

1> Check with various trustworthy furniture shops on pricing of pieces of furniture you commit with A & S pte ltd making sure its same or at least similar design and material used for fair comparisons.

2> From there you can gauge the price diff,then sort out the pieces that you can still purchase with A&S.

3> Approach A&S and negotiate on rearrangement on furniture e.g i need coffee table,tv console - $1.5k <which i foresee they dun allow due to their stiff and inflexible crappy company policies *not an issue with Courts/S&C/hommage and some others for fully no amount limitation on exchanges>

Having said that i think its gonna be an uphill task to settle this within a short period of time,for that we took the long hard way.

That is precisely why we will always try to squeeze deposit to bare minimum just in case of any necessarily last minute changes.We learned hard way by depositing $500 with Inch Design Pte Ltd and discovered to our horror that hommage has a cheaper one,we might have da lose our deposit as they only allow minimum amount $1.8k,went down to their show room in sungei kadut and found that their furniture mostly caters to the upper class category/premium/exclusive types which the sales ppl always emphasize :bangwall:

I wish I have known this site much earlier.

During the Living Expo last weekend, I bought 2 sets of Simmons King Size Arlington Plush from them, they claimed that it is the hotel grade and the salesman actually gave me fictitious information. I did ask for the pillow top, but he told me that the pillow top is out dated and went on to tell me that the new version is to have the pillow top embedded into the mattress itself.

Worst of all, I have paid it all in full and delivery will not be until September this year.

Any feedback on how the cases have gone so far with the lawyer, MTI and CASE?

hi,

excuse me, where is S&C? what does it stand for?

thanks.

Hi Nino,

this is exactly the one which we saw @ furniture HQ AMK central selling @ $2888- full leather,we merely took couple of pics as usual saying that we need to consult our ID for design advice...after consolidating our preferred pieces we head over to S & C,where we were wowed over by their sincere,passion,professionalism,patient and frankness on choice furniture in full accordance to our style,design concept,# of children and so on, needless to say we commit on their futuristic tv-console,coffee table,dining set w 4 chairs and the same sofa (black cos of our 7yr old little horror) with side-able seats (half-leather) no need for full-leather as its redundant to have leather wrap round the frame,we might as well have the $ use on better aspects.We decided on committing with S & C after scouring through countless furniture shops due to:

1> Their reasonable pricing.

2> Impressive knowledge of furniture specs/pros n cons/aspects.

3> Their frankness and professionalism and understanding.

4> Peace of mind and comfortable with their high service standrads with zero pressure applied on us throughout the entire process.

5> Updated designer design @ affordable price - thanks to melvin's frequent oversea trips.

Will post pics of our choice furniture on our upcoming T-blog which i will most probably start after we got our keys on 16 Dec 09 ;)

DONT BUY FROM THEM ! This is a damm dirty & cheat our hard earn money. I've been looking for mattress last 2 month & been to the furniture mall to compare mattress, I understand that Ackerman & Smith Pte Ltd & Sleep savvy belongs to the same boss. JIM LOH & CHIN LOH. They sell Napure mattress , Englander mattress & Simmon mattress.

I've brought a NAPURE GERMANY latex mattress from them after comparing Max Coil & Getha latex mattress, they claim that their mattress is from germany & the rest is from Malaysia but end up I've found out that their mattress is from Malaysia, What a JOKE ?

I've try to search this brand online, its a new brand register in malaysia & no such brand in europe, should have brought from Getha..... haiz..

I demand for a refund but till they keep advoiding my call. I have to warn all people not to be taken in by their sweet talk. I'll file this case to the small claim court.

Check online where this brand from & where is it made. I've check their Englander mattress as well , its the same manufacture who made the napure mattress from them, its not from england !

how i wish i have seen this earlier... haiz..

the sales guy still say the arlington plush is new technology...

anyone bought the Arlington Plush from them recently?

can PM me how much you bought?

Frankly speaking i would rather go after a Getha mattress than any of those 'La Sap' brands held by Sleep Savvy/Ackermann n Smith(2 other stores in furniture mall belongs to them,name forgotten liao).I personally tried Getha range of mattress and found their comfort level to be among the best i tried so far,their sales person are not pressing and intimidating at all,its true their product originate from malaysia but its the comfort level that counts...

DONT BUY FROM THEM ! This is a damm dirty & cheat our hard earn money. I've been looking for mattress last 2 month & been to the furniture mall to compare mattress, I understand that Ackerman & Smith Pte Ltd & Sleep savvy belongs to the same boss. JIM LOH & CHIN LOH. They sell Napure mattress , Englander mattress & Simmon mattress.

I've brought a NAPURE GERMANY latex mattress from them after comparing Max Coil & Getha latex mattress, they claim that their mattress is from germany & the rest is from Malaysia but end up I've found out that their mattress is from Malaysia, What a JOKE ?

I've try to search this brand online, its a new brand register in malaysia & no such brand in europe, should have brought from Getha..... haiz..

I demand for a refund but till they keep advoiding my call. I have to warn all people not to be taken in by their sweet talk. I'll file this case to the small claim court.

Check online where this brand from & where is it made. I've check their Englander mattress as well , its the same manufacture who made the napure mattress from them, its not from england !

NEVER NEVER BUY FROM ACKERMAN & SMITH, IT'S A SHAME THAT SIMMONS ACTUALLY CHOSE THEM AS DEALER, COMPARED TO OTHER WELLKNOWN DEALERS WITH GOOD REPUTATION, ACKERMAN & SMITH IS ONLY GOOD AT CHEATING ON CUSTOMERS!

Paid several thousand to buy myself a lesson, I will never want to deal with this company any more, so as my friends and families. When they sell you things and after you placed the deposit, completely 2 faces. Always do the comparison before you buying, and NEVER NEVER listen to Ackerman & Smith's BS. They set traps on their selling price with so called FOC, and their invoices issued, BE CAREFUL.

Heart-bleeding lesson, hope everybody else can see the true Ackerman & Smith, the best way is to avoid them, and run away as far as you can.

I have a run in with them a few years back when i was hunting for queen size mattress. Ackerman was highly recommended in singaporebrides forum then. In short, we had them honour the contract they had with us (what's written on invoice).

What i've learned from this experience is that Simmons price is generally strictly controlled such that the price is more or less there. This applies to official models that Simmons singapore brought in. Such models are found in the simmons shop in furniture mall in beach road and the major shopping centres. Mattress found in these places are controlled by local authorised dealer.

All problems arise when one chose models which the company imported themselves, arlington or charleston which was the one that gave me trouble.

Aim of my post is, shop at the official places, take note of the price, and if ackerman can give better price or can throw in more freebies, then its up to you to decide if you want to take the risk. I personally find that their bed frame is not bad.

Mattress that i've bought is beautyrest glendale. 3 years already we still love it. Wife always said that before buying this mattress she never miss home while overseas, but now she miss her bed whenever we are overseas. Simmons is a good brand. Just beware of who is selling them.

Cheers!

how i wish i have seen this earlier... haiz..

the sales guy still say the arlington plush is new technology...

anyone bought the Arlington Plush from them recently?

can PM me how much you bought?

Me lor

did u go to SCT / Case in the end?

Am one of the victims.. thinking of going...

DO NOT BUY FROM ACKERMAN AND SMITH!!

BAD service, their sales people are trained not to let go of you even if you are just going to the toilet, they will follow you till you buy.

Bad experience with ERIC AND JASON. Run if you see those two.

We exchange our model Arlington Plush (aka Heavenly Joke) for another model, the ****ty thing is, they make you top up the difference TO BUY A BETTER CRAP THAN THIS.

worse of all , you can only exchange with the ACKERMAN AND SMITH Model... meaning you practically have like 3 choices.

WORSE OF ALL , the sales person that they allocated to us did not even come, we have to talk to the other person in the shop.

This ****ty experience has taught me to do my research properly.

If I had seen this earlier, you could not even convince me to buy from them even if you gave me money.

I only wish that more people who have been conned report them to Simmons SEA.

When I pointed out that the forums have a few people being scammed already, the sales and customer service have the cheek to say "NO , SORRY MADAM, YOU ARE THE FIRST CASE WE HAD ...."

What a big joke.

Should they even be allowed to continue their business?

Can we do some petition to give them a bloody fine or get them to stop this nonsense?

Hi,

so SCT ruled in favor of u? wat was the evidence that u provided them with, other than invoice? also a victim and planning to go to SCT.. would appreciate any advice.

thanks!

Hi wako,

i would personally advise that you may wish to go small claim court directly for instant resolution,below is reply i get from CASE :

We thank you for contacting us on the above reference.

Hi Mr ng,

We can assist you by negiotating on your behalf with the company on best effort basis on your request and we do not guarantee whether they will accede to it. If we are not able to resolve the issue or the company do not response to our letters, the other alternative, you may want to approach Small Claims Tribunal (www.smallclaims.gov.sg) to pursue it further. (Please note that SCT take cases within the 1 year time-frame).

Having explain the above, we would appreciate if you could kindly revert back by 4 Sept 09 whether you would required our assistance or prefer to approach Small Claims Tribunal direct. We would like to inform you that we write on your behalf to the company and wait for their response within 2 weeks, if they do not reply to us, we will send another reminder and the procedures could take about 1 to 3 months depends on how fast they response to our letters or whether they will response to us. In the meanwhile, kindly see attached on how CASE can assist consumer in a dispute.

After reading above reply,i took the obvious route of going straight to Small claims tribunal cos i understand that if they fail to turn up on our 1st appointment -( 7 Sept 09 for our case as we went down yesterday for a claim) a court order will be issued against them according to the friendly staff.

Till then i beseech all victims to take appropriate actions to put all scrupulous companies to task less they take consumers right for granted.

Some documents and fees to take note for those who decide to justify their claims through Small Claims Tribunal:

1> x5 copies of claim forms ( 1 for personal reference)

2> x2 copies of invoices

3> x1 copy of company ROC - can be obtain at a fee of $4.80 from Crimson Logic Chinatown point #19-01/02

4> $10 fee for claims <$5000 - for claims above 5k kindly refer to www.smallclaims.gov.sg for details.

im looking forward to at least retrieve the $400 deposit come 7 Sept,will post the outcome for you guys.

Edited by diffystar123