Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
leechaorui

What Type Of Tiles To Use For Outdoor Terrace Area?

I am planning to rebuild my house and would like some advice on the type of tiles to use for outdoor terrace area. I would like something that is durable, aesthetic, not slippery and easy to maintain.

Would appreciate your recommendations.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
I am planning to rebuild my house and would like some advice on the type of tiles to use for outdoor terrace area. I would like something that is durable, aesthetic, not slippery and easy to maintain.

Not sure if slate is to your likings... but i think it seems like a practical material for outdoor area...

try this...

http://www.handydeck.com/ezytile.html

Not sure if slate is to your likings... but i think it seems like a practical material for outdoor area...

try this...

http://www.handydeck.com/ezytile.html

Slate tends to breakup and crack over time especially under the cars weight, but easy to replace, as the pattern is almost the same regardless when you purchased it.

There is a property listing website called www.propertyguru.com.sg . Got many pix of landed properties for sale. Usually I go there and get ideas.

I think a combination of textured homo tiles + pebble wash borders is nice. Homo tiles that resemble natural stones is a very safe bet. Aviod granite for driveway becuase the any oil stains from the car will be a permanent stain. Granite for bordering is ok.

We had considered using slate for our front drive and backyard but found out that over time, slate flakes. we finally settled for large homo tiles- textured with natural stone look

We had considered using slate for our front drive and backyard but found out that over time, slate flakes. we finally settled for large homo tiles- textured with natural stone look

correct. the house we just took possession has those greenish slates in the car porch. some of them are already fading and some have cracked. will be changing to textured homo tiles.

What about pebble wash?

Pebble wash must be done properly and you have to bear with some pebbles coming lose once in a while but yoongf's suggestion is good a combination of textured homo tiles + pebble wash borders, by keeping pebble wash to minimum the problem of lose pebbles is almost all but eliminated.

You are right that pebbles may dropped off after some use. Even with a combination of homogeneous tiles and pebble wash at the drive way, I am concern that the pebbles will dropped off because the car is a very heavy object, weighing more than a ton.

For homogeneous, it is porous and this means that it can stain quite easily. Are there outdoor homogenous tiles that is stain resistant and at the same time easy to maintain and aesethetic?

For homogeneous, it is porous and this means that it can stain quite easily. Are there outdoor homogenous tiles that is stain resistant and at the same time easy to maintain and aesethetic?

Check with your tiling contractor and go to tile shop for advise. They would be able to tell you what is best as they have done many.

I have been using pebblewash for driveway for quite some time, and so far, no problems with pebbles dropping off. I wanted the natural beach sand coloured look. However, the problem is that pebblewash is prone to algae growth! Need to pressure jet every 3 months to remove the black colour algae. I can't use bleach to scrub the floor because I sloped the driveway to drain water into my carpet grass. Tried those cement sealers in a small section but there is a noticable darkening of the pebblewash colour.

Initially, I had no problem with the algae thing, cos there was lot's of sun drying the driveway. But over time, when the bamboo trees started to provide more shading, the algae wun stay away.

BTW, homogenous tiles are not porous. It's textured, The more textured it is, the more easily it will stain. Hup Kiong and Hafary got a wide selection of textured homogeneous tiles. Alternatively, can consider those 80mm X 80mm clinker tiles, which is normally used for heavy duty driveways, and very popular in Japan/Taiwan. Can be creative and do many patterns.