Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
heartya

The House With Blue Lights

:o 6ft wardrobe for $1320? That's $220 pfr.

If you want white PVC, might as well buy from Ikea :) $800 for L2100mm wardrobe.

Hi Ossify,

since the reno is already completed leaving with the last 20% payment and an unconfirmed discount to be provided by the boss, would you have any other recommendations based on the above feedback? :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi Ossify,

since the reno is already completed leaving with the last 20% payment and an unconfirmed discount to be provided by the boss, would you have any other recommendations based on the above feedback? :)

PVC is just carcass covering. Laminate is what people use to dress/protect the carcass.

Considering they gave you the wardrobe carcass without the laminates and charged you full price for it, i suggest you ask them to laminate it for you according to your initial requirements. If you paid for ID price, you better get ID quality.

:o 6ft wardrobe for $1320? That's $220 pfr.

If you want white PVC, might as well buy from Ikea :) $800 for L2100mm wardrobe.

Hi,

During my reno search, most of the renovator (contractors) quote around $180 to $250 pft for wardrobe. And the laminate finish is only for the exterior with white pvc for the interiors. There's another kind of brown pvc kind of interior finish but slightly more expensive.

The difference between Ikea one is, the wood used for carpentry on the wardrobe. Most of the contractors quoted for solid plywood as the material for wood. For Ikea, my previous understanding is they used compressed wood.

My old ikea coffee table was made of compressed wood and circles of molds grew out from underneath it within months of using. We didnt notice it as we didnt really look under the table. But the molds will dropped off to the ground as powder stuff. Its only when we noticed the floor always having white powdery stuff that we went around to check. The moment we look under the table, both of us got a shock! Many many circle of molds under the table. Very scary, since then I don't dare to buy ikea wood stuff.

My old ikea coffee table was made of compressed wood and circles of molds grew out from underneath it within months of using. We didnt notice it as we didnt really look under the table. But the molds will dropped off to the ground as powder stuff. Its only when we noticed the floor always having white powdery stuff that we went around to check. The moment we look under the table, both of us got a shock! Many many circle of molds under the table. Very scary, since then I don't dare to buy ikea wood stuff.

One reason for this mold growth is because Ikea's products are build mainly for the European markets, where the weather isn't as humid as ours right here. Hence it is very easy for the growth of mold and dew on their wooden products.

bro i feel your pain...our ID is the same....your list looks like the same types of complaints we have for our own place...our ID is never on site to supervise and we wonder time and time again what is he for when we begin to directly engage his contractors and start to do up schedules for him instead....sigh.....in the end did u get him to rectify all the flaws ?

bro i feel your pain...our ID is the same....your list looks like the same types of complaints we have for our own place...our ID is never on site to supervise and we wonder time and time again what is he for when we begin to directly engage his contractors and start to do up schedules for him instead....sigh.....in the end did u get him to rectify all the flaws ?

Hi JandG,

OMG... you mean your ID is also Jamxx? or your ID is someone else in Plus Interior?

Hi,

During my reno search, most of the renovator (contractors) quote around $180 to $250 pft for wardrobe. And the laminate finish is only for the exterior with white pvc for the interiors. There's another kind of brown pvc kind of interior finish but slightly more expensive.

The difference between Ikea one is, the wood used for carpentry on the wardrobe. Most of the contractors quoted for solid plywood as the material for wood. For Ikea, my previous understanding is they used compressed wood.

Hi Rasp,

so the price which my ID quote is ok? or still exp?

Hi JandG,

OMG... you mean your ID is also Jamxx? or your ID is someone else in Plus Interior?

nope...my ID is someone else. But our situation is also like yours

I'll share my experience when my house is handovered from my "ID" (maybe another 2 weeks time). At least your ID's boss was willing to retify the mistake done by the ID. In my case, the site co-ordinator (supposed to be an ID) made mistake (think he knew what I want but he did it on purpose to save money), I contacted the boss and he straight away ask me to refer every thing listed in the contract, if still not happy, he'll settle every thing in court.

Noticed that there's no point discussing with them so I just accepted it (with no choice) and learnt this lesson. Jus read a post by weileong, Eight Signs Of A Good Contractor, all the first 7 signs of bad contractors are related to my ID company. The last one, signing of contract, the company used it to threaten me.

Do you feel better now? :)

Edited by IceBlue

I'll share my experience when my house is handovered from my "ID" (maybe another 2 weeks time). At least your ID's boss was willing to retify the mistake done by the ID. In my case, the site co-ordinator (supposed to be an ID) made mistake (think he knew what I want but he did it on purpose to save money), I contacted the boss and he straight away ask me to refer every thing listed in the contract, if still not happy, he'll settle every thing in court.

Noticed that there's no point discussing with them so I just accepted it (with no choice) and learnt this lesson. Jus read a post by weileong, Eight Signs Of A Good Contractor, all the first 7 signs of bad contractors are related to my ID company. The last one, signing of contract, the company used it to threaten me.

Do you feel better now? :)

hi IceBlue,

saw your blog and I'm sorry to hear about your 'ID'. hope this painful experience for you will be over soon. However, your cupboards look gd.. :)

Hi Rasp,

so the price which my ID quote is ok? or still exp?

Hi Heartya,

I think the common range for carpentry is around the range that I post previously. I cant comment whether it is overpriced anot by just that item. Because I noticed that for most quotes, the contractors/ID will quote some items higher, some items lower and some f.o.c. items. So it depends on the rest of the items whether they are quoted lower to absorb this.

One reason for this mold growth is because Ikea's products are build mainly for the European markets, where the weather isn't as humid as ours right here. Hence it is very easy for the growth of mold and dew on their wooden products.

Exactly, please use Thompson's Waterproof Sealer to waterproof your Ikea wood products. You only need to waterproof the joints that are not laminated.