Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ee_soh

Js Furniture Factory Carpentry

The workers from this company have very bad attitude and also very bo chup. When they are carrying the dressing table to my WIW , they almost bang the table into a wall and smash my glass wall. Its not that the space is small but they just move looking straight and dun care about anything.

Then when installing the dressing table the installer claimed that the space is constraint and have no choice but hit my WIW cabinet. The space is so big and I showed the installer that i can do it as i am careful.

After the drilling and sawing, the dust gathered on the floor and above my air-con duct pipe. The installer did not bring any vacuum cleaner and just use a broom to sweep. Making the dust fly all over the WIW.

So regret engaging this company to fabricate and install the dressing table.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
The workers from this company have very bad attitude and also very bo chup. When they are carrying the dressing table to my WIW , they almost bang the table into a wall and smash my glass wall. Its not that the space is small but they just move looking straight and dun care about anything.

Then when installing the dressing table the installer claimed that the space is constraint and have no choice but hit my WIW cabinet. The space is so big and I showed the installer that i can do it as i am careful.

After the drilling and sawing, the dust gathered on the floor and above my air-con duct pipe. The installer did not bring any vacuum cleaner and just use a broom to sweep. Making the dust fly all over the WIW.

So regret engaging this company to fabricate and install the dressing table.

Sorry to hear your misfortune.

I remember another forumer highlighted about the cleaning himself, so was sort of expecting that.

I guess there is no one perfect and sometimes they say shi1t happened.

Is there any pros that you would like to share ? I mean from the forum they are suppose to be quite good but maybe need some extra supervision etc on the none core material (like getting stuff on "tight" corner without damaging other things).

THanks for sharing by the way.

No one to recommend leh. Maybe when you have can share with us?

Sorry to hear your misfortune.

I remember another forumer highlighted about the cleaning himself, so was sort of expecting that.

I guess there is no one perfect and sometimes they say shi1t happened.

Is there any pros that you would like to share ? I mean from the forum they are suppose to be quite good but maybe need some extra supervision etc on the none core material (like getting stuff on "tight" corner without damaging other things).

THanks for sharing by the way.

Anyone got any experience to share?

Anyone got experience to share how much jack or steven quote u p.s.f on kitchen cabinet, tv all feature, wardrobe?

Thousand thanks

Can anyone let me know exactly where is their showroom ? I went to sg kadut today,

At 74 Sungei Kadut Street 1, Singapore 729374

Found the place, but the factory name doesnt even mentioned J&S. It was old and dark, so didnt when in :(

Anymore comments about JS furniture?

I used JS for my reno. All I can say is disappointment after disappointment.

I engage them thinking I would at least get some decent workmanship. But what I get is agony.

For those thinking of engaging them, please be wary.

For those who wants to verify, can contact me or JS directly. Just ask Steve (the guy from JS), can quote that I am the guy from Marine Drive.

Chng

Edited by h2chng

I used JS for my reno. All I can say is disappointment after disappointment.

I engage them thinking I would at least get some decent workmanship. But what I get is agony.

For those thinking of engaging them, please be wary.

For those who wants to verify, can contact me or JS directly. Just ask Steve (the guy from JS), can quote that I am the guy from Marine Drive.

Chng

Hi, May i ask exactly what happened? Thinking for using them... there was another with excellent reviews....

Many thanks

Hi, May i ask exactly what happened? Thinking for using them... there was another with excellent reviews....

Many thanks

I am not a good story teller. Here is my side of story.

I get to know JS from this thread. Before I made the decision, I actually when down to their workshop twice. I wanted to see if they are really like it was said. Met Steven, and was please with his service. Even thought, he was not the cheapest, I don't really mind. I just want peace of mind. I talk to Steven 3 to 4 times, send him some of what I have in mind.

Everything was sweet until the day they came to install the cabinet. Then do I realise that they really not that professional. When I first saw my cabinet, I was in shock because the grain was vertical instead of horizontal. In all my drawing to Steven, the grain was horizontal, I don't understand how Steven could have got it wrong.

What Steven mention was that all the grain I have chosen is vertical type, so he thinks I would want it vertical than horizontal. Almost fainted when I heard that.

A few days later, I realised one of the drawer fitted with Blum is only less than 5.5cm deep. With drawer at such depth, I can't even put my wallet or a cutlery tray into the drawer. Given no other option, I compromised n shift the Blum runner to another smaller drawer. The drawer will use the cheap runner which allow the drawer depth to increase to 8 cm. Steven did not charge me for the change

Then came the TV console. The whole console is too big for one single piece, so a horizontal joint is required. On the second day of installation, my wife realise part of jointing part is bulging. After a few days, it grew worst, and there is simply no way to hide it. Steven says that it is due to the thermal expansion, some times when the joint is too close, the two different piece of laminate, just push each other to bulge. Steven send his men down, and his way of rectification was to knock on it with a piece of ply in between. And guess what, his men did not rectify it and worst still, they left many marks on the laminate. So Steven had another layer of laminate be pasted over the old laminate. The end result is not good. And again I compromised.

Then came the wardrobe sliding door, after installation, I complained to Steven that the doors are extremely noise, I can get waken up by the noise from the door. I even brought him to my neighbor who had just renovated, for him to make comparison. He agrees that the sliding door was unacceptable, he agree to change. Even before he did the change, the door mechanism got dislocated and got stuck. I spend more than half an hour trying to get my wife bag out from it. Obviously she was late for that day, but at least no one got hurt. If the whole door came down, I am quite sure either my wife or me will get injured. Because I was sleeping on the bed which is in front of the sliding door. The sliding door mechanism was replaced, but the outcome was ugly. A piece of wood was added to cover the new track as the new mechanism is bigger than the old. They also stained the ceiling and damage the floor immediately in front of the wardrobe. The irony of it all is that before I signed the contract, I told Steven I want heavy duty mechanism ( for peace of mind) and he charged me an extra $450 for it. I wanted problem free installation, it came out problematic and expensive. Currently I am having slight problem with the sliding door again, one of the bottom pair of track for one of the pair of the doors would rub against each other . But I have yet to ask Steven to send his men. Why? because I fear it could turn out worst. The sliding doors have been taken down couple of times, there are so many screw hole behind it that I don't know if could be put back the next time.

There are other issue about his workmanship. But I think you get the point. So when he ask for the final balance, I ask for discount. And guess how much he discounted. $120, less than one percent of the total bill. I almost laughed out loud. I told him it is an insult and issued him in full. I don't need the discount.

I strongly feel that his workmanship is not worth the money paid. Frankly, looking back, If I knew about his workmanship, I will not engage him even if he is 20% cheaper.

My whole reno beside the carpentry took one month, the carpentry from JS took me more than one month to settle. Still I consider myself luck, because only one contractor is problematic.

Chng

Edited by h2chng

I am not a good story teller. Here is my side of story.

I get to know JS from this thread. Before I made the decision, I actually when down to their workshop twice. I wanted to see if they are really like it was said. Met Steven, and was please with his service. Even thought, he was not the cheapest, I don't really mind. I just want peace of mind. I talk to Steven 3 to 4 times, send him some of what I have in mind.

Everything was sweet until the day they came to install the cabinet. Then do I realise that they really not that professional. When I first saw my cabinet, I was in shock because the grain was vertical instead of horizontal. In all my drawing to Steven, the grain was horizontal, I don't understand how Steven could have got it wrong.

What Steven mention was that all the grain I have chosen is vertical type, so he thinks I would want it vertical than horizontal. Almost fainted when I heard that.

A few days later, I realised one of the drawer fitted with Blum is only less than 5.5cm deep. With drawer at such depth, I can't even put my wallet or a cutlery tray into the drawer. Given no other option, I compromised n shift the Blum runner to another smaller drawer. The drawer will use the cheap runner which allow the drawer depth to increase to 8 cm. Steven did not charge me for the change

Then came the TV console. The whole console is too big for one single piece, so a horizontal joint is required. On the second day of installation, my wife realise part of jointing part is bulging. After a few days, it grew worst, and there is simply no way to hide it. Steven says that it is due to the thermal expansion, some times when the joint is too close, the two different piece of laminate, just push each other to bulge. Steven send his men down, and his way of rectification was to knock on it with a piece of ply in between. And guess what, his men did not rectify it and worst still, they left many marks on the laminate. So Steven had another layer of laminate be pasted over the old laminate. The end result is not good. And again I compromised.

Then came the wardrobe sliding door, after installation, I complained to Steven that the doors are extremely noise, I can get waken up by the noise from the door. I even brought him to my neighbor who had just renovated, for him to make comparison. He agrees that the sliding door was unacceptable, he agree to change. Even before he did the change, the door mechanism got dislocated and got stuck. I spend more than half an hour trying to get my wife bag out from it. Obviously she was late for that day, but at least no one got hurt. If the whole door came down, I am quite sure either my wife or me will get injured. Because I was sleeping on the bed which is in front of the sliding door. The sliding door mechanism was replaced, but the outcome was ugly. A piece of wood was added to cover the new track as the new mechanism is bigger than the old. They also stained the ceiling and damage the floor immediately in front of the wardrobe. The irony of it all is that before I signed the contract, I told Steven I want heavy duty mechanism ( for peace of mind) and he charged me an extra $450 for it. I wanted problem free installation, it came out problematic and expensive. Currently I am having slight problem with the sliding door again, one of the bottom pair of track for one of the pair of the doors would rub against each other . But I have yet to ask Steven to send his men. Why? because I fear it could turn out worst. The sliding doors have been taken down couple of times, there are so many screw hole behind it that I don't know if could be put back the next time.

There are other issue about his workmanship. But I think you get the point. So when he ask for the final balance, I ask for discount. And guess how much he discounted. $120, less than one percent of the total bill. I almost laughed out loud. I told him it is an insult and issued him in full. I don't need the discount.

I strongly feel that his workmanship is not worth the money paid. Frankly, looking back, If I knew about his workmanship, I will not engage him even if he is 20% cheaper.

My whole reno beside the carpentry took one month, the carpentry from JS took me more than one month to settle. Still I consider myself luck, because only one contractor is problematic.

Chng

China workers came and install your carpentry is it?

China workers came and install your carpentry is it?

The first carpenter is from Malaysia. The second one is a local (I think) and his sidekick is a China citizen.

I don't think nationality plays a part in workmanship. I think the workmanship is more dependent on experience and good supervision.

I guess I am the stupid guinea pig for them.

Chng

<!--quoteo(post=548533:date=Jun 30 2010, 09:32 AM:name=h2chng)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (h2chng @ Jun 30 2010, 09:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=548533"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The first carpenter is from Malaysia. The second one is a local (I think) and his sidekick is a China citizen.

I don't think nationality plays a part in workmanship. I think the workmanship is more dependent on experience and good supervision.

I guess I am the stupid guinea pig for them.

Chng<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then u r wrong....China carpenters I seem so far have working attitude problem man...they don't care if the tools going to damage your flooring, they don't care whether it will scratch your laminate, door, etc.....I can't said all is like that, but for those I have seen so far is like that. I've seen very hardworking china worker before...but out of 100...only 1. Nationality don't play a part cos, even local, some may not have the workmanship too. Mostly is the attitude towards their jobs.

Edited by jaskel

Then u r wrong....China carpenters I seem so far have working attitude problem man...they don't care is the tools going to damage your flooring, they don't care whether it will scratch your laminate, door, etc.....I can't said all is like that, but for those I have seen so far is like that. I've seen very hardworking china worker before...but out of 100...only 1. Nationality don't play a part cos, even local, some may not have the workmanship too. Mostly is the attitude towards their jobs.

Well, getting a quote from Steven tomolo night for 2 tv consoles and a dressing table. We'll see how things goes. As i'm also collecting 3 other quotes from other Contractors.

I must say i saw one of the forumer's study table with cabinet done by him looks very decent and well priced, cheap in my opinion. so...giving him a chance to quote and also will be talking to him about my concern on these "bad attitude" to see his response.

Cheers

Well, getting a quote from Steven tomolo night for 2 tv consoles and a dressing table. We'll see how things goes. As i'm also collecting 3 other quotes from other Contractors.

I must say i saw one of the forumer's study table with cabinet done by him looks very decent and well priced, cheap in my opinion. so...giving him a chance to quote and also will be talking to him about my concern on these "bad attitude" to see his response.

Cheers

I think it is not a matter of "bad attitude" for JS. It is a matter of workmanship. Are they able to deliver? For my case, they came and they go. Rectify and rectify until cow comes home. Once you sign the contract, if you are not satisfied with the quality of work, what can you do?

That was my situation. I just feel frustrated yet not being able to hold them accountable.

But any way, all the best. Hope everything will turn out to your expectation. Just to add, it would be better if you are able to include clause that safeguard the quality of their work. Don't just tell them verbally like I did, let them write down the quality that they would provide.

Cheers

Chng

Edited by h2chng