Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
bergkamp

Contemporary Makeover For 5i In Sengkang

bro, i also facing e same air-con problems (or i should say dilemma) as u. but i'd decided to keep it for now due to budget constraints.

reason being that, like wat u say, replacing cost is ~S$5K. my current household power bill (with aircon on for 2-3hrs every night in 2

rooms) comes up to ~S$150/ month. assuming those ang-mors note is true, if i change, tat means every month i shave $60 off my

power bill. S$5000/ S$60 = 83mths = 6.9yrs. n this is based on UP TO 40%. if the saving is < 40%, then we r looking at longer "ROI".

with tat said, i think i'll hang on to my new house aircon for the time being. unless i so sway n it broke down within these 2 mths. hahaha

Yeah..makes sense.

I am also leaning towards keeping the existing aircon till I have more funds.

Only problem could be some technical issues. The aircon piping currently passes through the wall where I propose to have my master bedroom wardrobe !!

Later if I need to change piping, whole cupboard will be affected !!

These things can never see when selecting a resale flat !!

Can only learn from experience.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

One unexpected problem has been that I caught the HiFi upgrade bug...

Was helping a friend audition some speakers/amps.....ended up buying myself also !!!

Now I will have a home theater setup in living room and a separate stereo setup in study.

Wife not happy :bangwall:

A friend told me his bad experience at his final inspection before 2nd appointment for his flat in Punggol.

The seller really made sure she cleaned up every last bit of her remainings.

Tried to pull out this cheap speaker wire which was set up via false ceiling for rear speakers... When she couldnt, she said you return it later !

My friend agreed because he was going to throw it anyway as his home theater setup already costs 17000 $ and he would need much better cables.

Worst was they took out all the used batteries from their a/c remotes. :rolleyes:

Now this guy had paid a very good price for his flat with high COV(still one of the top prices for Punggol 5 rooms).

But some sellers really super greedy, will pull the last penny if they can.

Bought my ceiling fans today from JB.

Went with KDK as its the most reliable brand and I wanted clean cut designs without lights.

KDK models are much cheaper in Malaysia. Bit of a hassle if there is a defect, but price is almost half.

Ended up buying KDKs for all rooms. Got good discount for buying in bulk.

Height of fans could be bit of an issue but I will manage. No false ceiling, only Lbox.

2 x V60VK , 60 inch for Living rooms

v60wk_new.jpg

3 x V56VK, 56 inch for bedrooms.

v56vk_new.jpg

Cant afford to turn on aircon all the time and hate those standing fans which get in the way and pose a hazard for my kid.

These ceiling fans should keep the whole flat "airy".

Edited by bergkamp

Wah bro i'm drooling at all your buys leh :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: seriously if i buy such a huge speaker, my wife will certainly slaughter me to be served as dinner :(

anyway bro may i know where to scout for good stereo / amps ah ? me noob abt this kind of stuff hehehe :P

thanks thanks :D

Edited by coffee_o

Wah bro i'm drooling at all your buys leh :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: seriously if i buy such a huge speaker, my wife will certainly slaughter me to be served as dinner :(

anyway bro may i know where to scout for good stereo / amps ah ? me noob abt this kind of stuff hehehe :P

thanks thanks :D

haha. My wife also hates the size of these things...but when I play some good music, she forgets about their looks :)

To buy speakers/amps, you should start at Adelphi mall. You can get most of the well known brands of speakers and amps there. Go and audition a few setups. Make sure you keep some budget in mind and then audition setups within that range. Dont get poisoned by those highend setups. They sound very sweet and blow a big hole in your pocket. :)

Adeplhi address

http://www.streetdirectory.com/asia_travel...vel_site_12949/

haha. My wife also hates the size of these things...but when I play some good music, she forgets about their looks :)

To buy speakers/amps, you should start at Adelphi mall. You can get most of the well known brands of speakers and amps there. Go and audition a few setups. Make sure you keep some budget in mind and then audition setups within that range. Dont get poisoned by those highend setups. They sound very sweet and blow a big hole in your pocket. :)

Adeplhi address

http://www.streetdirectory.com/asia_travel...vel_site_12949/

Oh sure thanks bro

yup yup me seriously cannot buy too ex else will wife will kill me hehehehe :P

I know where adeplhi is since i'm a frequent customer at funan :D

Edited by coffee_o

Hi !

Thanks for sharing your experience and all the best with the reno ....

I was looking for ceiling fans for my new place and was seriously considering getting KDK fans due to their reliabilility. Thought of getting them from Malaysia as well to take advantage of the cost difference, but was not sure about transportation, installation and warranty ...

KDK Singapore (Capital Distribution) said they will not cover warranty or service the fans even with payment if they were to breakdown.

The KDK dealer I went to in JB (Syarikat Wong) said they wont install or cover warranty or service with fee payment in Singapore. Understandable, as they are KDK dealers and cant undercut Capital's coverage in Singapore.

Anyway, I was planning to take a risk regardless, due to the cost difference and to get the fans coming Deepavali weekend. Planning to get the fans from YES Electrical who quoted 35-40 ringgit cheaper than Syarikat Wong and have the models I wanted in stock.

By chance, I happened across your post and was wondering :

- Where did you get the fans. You indicated you got a good discount.

- Did you transport them yourself ? Did all the fans fit into your van / car ? :-)

- How many fans did you buy ? Did you have to declare the fans and pay GST at customs?

Thanks & Regards !

By chance, I happened across your post and was wondering :

- Where did you get the fans. You indicated you got a good discount.

- Did you transport them yourself ? Did all the fans fit into your van / car ? :-)

- How many fans did you buy ? Did you have to declare the fans and pay GST at customs?

Thanks & Regards !

1. Shop name/address you can get from KDK malaysia website. Call them up to find the price. Not much difference in price between shops. They will give more discount for larger orders. My shop guy told me that lot of Singaporeans buy from him..so I am surely not the first one.

2. Yes transported myself. Had hired a big van for transport along with a friend. Its possible to transport in a car but you need to get rid of the boxes and take out the fins/motor etc. That way they consume very little space. Boxes are pretty bulky.

3. We got 10 fans in total. Yes declared at customs, they will calculate GST. Do read the customs rules. If you stay in Malaysia for 1 day/2 day/ >2 days then there are different custom rebates calculated. More number of days you stay, more rebate.

Regarding warranty, I have to go back the JB shop. Usually the problem is with motor, which is easy to carry. Can remove the fins. Other thing that gets spoilt is the remotes...but I have 5 of them now....so can spare a few.

But the shop owner did say that they have seen few cases of KDK fan coming back for repair.

Anyway the reason for buying KDK is their reliability. For the same price I would have got a lesser reliable brand locally. Installation will be done by my electrician who will charge the standard price.

Edited by bergkamp

Went with KDK as its the most reliable brand and I wanted clean cut designs without lights.

KDK models are much cheaper in Malaysia. Bit of a hassle if there is a defect, but price is almost half.

Height of fans could be bit of an issue but I will manage. No false ceiling, only Lbox.

v60wk_new.jpg

v56vk_new.jpg

Cant afford to turn on aircon all the time and hate those standing fans which get in the way and pose a hazard for my kid.

Can ask where is the shop you got these fans and how much cheaper than Singapore?

Can ask where is the shop you got these fans and how much cheaper than Singapore?

Shop name/address you can find from KDK Malaysia website list of JB dealers.

Fan price is nearly half of what you get in Singapore.

v60wk_new.jpg

v56vk_new.jpg

Hi, care to share how much you paid for the V56VK?

Space - A weekly series on interior design

TREND buzz

Keep cool during the heatwave

LOOKING at what's available in the ceiling fan market today, function precedes form when it comes to what is cool this season.

10 May 2009

LOOKING at what's available in the ceiling fan market today, function precedes form when it comes to what is cool this season.

As the sun swelters on, ornate decoration is yielding to greater horsepower and sophisticated technology to blow you away.

Here are some tips on what to look out for when choosing that economical, energy-saving appliance.

BLADE PITCH

Generally, the greater the angle or pitch of the blade, the more air the fan will move. A good angle should be anywhere between 12 and 16 degrees.

CONSTRUCTION

Take note of the outer covering over the motor, the switch housing and the canopy. Those made of cheaper, thinner material will tend to vibrate and rattle more.

Multiple layers of pressurised hardwood and those with heavier die-cast body are recommended over the cheaper stamped steel material.

CEILING FAN TYPE

Virtually all fans sold today are reversible and the conventional pull chain types have been replaced by remote control unit fans.

A godsend, I must say, for lazy people like me who dread getting up from a comfortable position everytime just to adjust the speed.

WARRANTY

Read closely at the the warranty papers. Normally, it comes with a 'Limited Lifetime' warranty and the only part of the ceiling fan that exceeds one year, will be the motor. All the component parts will normally be one year.

Equipped with a thermal sensor, leader of the pack KDK's (Tel: 6288 9190) latest ceiling fans pack the brains to winnow your hair in the most comfortable wind velocity.

Combat the scorching humidity and let the V60WK (5 blades, $488) or V56VK (4 blades, $448) models monitor the temperature change in your cosy retreat.