Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
keemn2002

'child Proofing' Condo Balcony

Need some expert advice from forumers on childproofing balconies. I got 3 young toddlers and the condo that i will be staying in does not allow us to put up window grilles for the living room balcony. I have a planter area in the balcony. As far as i know, i currently have a few options to childproof the balcony area :

1. install sliding grilles at the entrance leading to the balcony (ie either directly infront or behind the balcony glass doors)

2. put plants at the planter area

3. use planter area for other purposes eg rearing fish (eg fish tanks)

I will most likely go for the 1st option but feels that this precautionary measure may not be sufficient. We dun intend to put plants and rear fishes at the planter area (will most likely level up the area). Are there any other ways that i can childproof the balcony? All suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance for all the tips and ideas.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
frankly, i think none of the 3 above is foolproof.

1. u may forget to lock the sliding glassdoor grilles after watering plants

2. plants do not act as a barrier at all

3. this is the worst idea among the 3

a child's safety is at stake... if i were u, i will take away this worry once and for all by installing FULL window grilles

Hi nimm12. Thanks for your input. You are absolutely right! I am for the idea and very much would like to install the grilles....the problem here is that the condo management does not allow us to do so. This is the common practice for a lot of private condos. that is why i am seeking advice on how else i can childproof the balcony area....

Hi nimm12. Thanks for your input. You are absolutely right! I am for the idea and very much would like to install the grilles....the problem here is that the condo management does not allow us to do so. This is the common practice for a lot of private condos. that is why i am seeking advice on how else i can childproof the balcony area....

Hi,

I too stay in a condo and know very well of these weird management restrictions for the sake of 'beautifications'. Anyway I will suggest you a comination of (1) and (2). Dont put real plants in your planter area - just put in some fake plants which dont need to be watered but still can look pretty. Then install sliding grill door and just lock it. You can open it occasionally when adults are in home or your kids are being well looked after. Once your kids grow up, you can think of other alternatives. Hope that helps!!

Hi,

I too stay in a condo and know very well of these weird management restrictions for the sake of 'beautifications'. Anyway I will suggest you a comination of (1) and (2). Dont put real plants in your planter area - just put in some fake plants which dont need to be watered but still can look pretty. Then install sliding grill door and just lock it. You can open it occasionally when adults are in home or your kids are being well looked after. Once your kids grow up, you can think of other alternatives. Hope that helps!!

Maybe you will like to take a look at Lindam Safe and Secure Playpen. It can be extended to be a wall-to-wall gate.

Maximum length is 3m. So should be able to cover your balcony door.

Thanks for all your reply and suggestions.

After much deliberation, me and my wife had more or less decided on the following :

1. Put plants (either real or artificial ones) at the planter area

2. Install sliding gates at the entrance leading to balcony

3. To teach, educate and reinforce to our children on the dangers of climbing over the balcony wall

For item 2, we are toying with the idea of installing half height sliding gates (abt 1-1.2m tall) instead of full height ones. Either the aluminum/wrought iron types or wooden gates. Not sure if anyone has done this for their homes. If so, would very much like to see some pics on it.

Thanks!