Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
doremon2009

D'amour ~ A Home With Peace,love ,happiness And Good Blessing.

Hmm maybe u can list out those who are in ur considerations here, together with their pros and cons?

Oops!.. was kind of down and procastinate earlier.. may be too stress..feel abit lost n helpless then.

Actually am in the mist of compiling and summarising.

So far has spoken to >10 renovators,kind of tired and frustrated, as not all come back with quote.

May be mine is too rush a schedule, happens to fall in peak period.

Very few that come back with quote are also of varied.

There are quotes that are totally irrelevant, not to the requirement I want..hmm.. that shows how irresponsible or blur the person is, thus will void immediately.

To be frank, I have yet to meet one that really give the good feel and confidence yet.

That's why the fear I have..

True enough it's a very tiring exercise..

Will list out for sharing once done : )

Edited by doremon2009

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
HI ossify,

Really thanks! The information is useful ; )

welcome, i am thinking of using it to dress my walls :)

AIRCON

Just an update of my findings and meeting air-con ppl..

Requirement

Aircon for 4 bedrooms.

a) 2 bedrooms estimate to on 8hrs a day

b) 2 bedrooms estimate to on once a month for 4hrs each time.

The most cost effective approach is to get 2 System 2.

Was recommended Samsung non-inverter.

Where 1 compressor for (a) and the other compressor for (b).

The reason shared by the salesperson was:-

1) It is more cost saving to have 2 System 2 in term of total price is SGD2618 as compared to Daikin Non-Inverter system 4@SGD2850.

2) It is energy saving by such arrangement as compared to using System4 due to the mechanism of compressor.

3) The cost for 1 system 2 non-inverter (Samsung) for (b) and 1 system 2 inverter (Panasonic) for (a) is SGD3343.

4) Was told that the assumption of having 4 rooms on aircon 8 hrs a day, the electrical bill will be SGD20 per month more than inverter aircon.

How true is this ?

Me also not sure.

Any one can help to share their experience in this aspect?

AIRCON

Just an update of my findings and meeting air-con ppl..

Requirement

Aircon for 4 bedrooms.

a) 2 bedrooms estimate to on 8hrs a day

b) 2 bedrooms estimate to on once a month for 4hrs each time.

The most cost effective approach is to get 2 System 2.

Was recommended Samsung non-inverter.

Where 1 compressor for (a) and the other compressor for (b).

The reason shared by the salesperson was:-

1) It is more cost saving to have 2 System 2 in term of total price is SGD2618 as compared to Daikin Non-Inverter system 4@SGD2850.

2) It is energy saving by such arrangement as compared to using System4 due to the mechanism of compressor.

3) The cost for 1 system 2 non-inverter (Samsung) for (b) and 1 system 2 inverter (Panasonic) for (a) is SGD3343.

4) Was told that the assumption of having 4 rooms on aircon 8 hrs a day, the electrical bill will be SGD20 per month more than inverter aircon.

How true is this ?

Me also not sure.

Any one can help to share their experience in this aspect?

i agree with his recommendations. but i worry that your flat may not be able to fit 2 compressors.

Visit to JB Home Fairs

Been away for a while.. here I am back!!

Just a quick info here..and I'll have to set off again till I've the time to log in again..

Some Lobang for those who are interested in JB sourcing/purchases:-

PS:

No relationship with them or whatsever, it's just that I visited the Home Fairs and gathered the address for my future plan to source/purchase. Definitely not sure about their services and quality etc. Therefore, you will need to assess and compare yourself before your own purchases.

After all this is the site where I will reference, seek advise, share and return with my best effort : )

1) GrandSolar - Good for garden, balcony where there are Sun. It comes with different type of lighting design that comes with solar chips and will be light up in the dark when the Sun set. Can be found in distributor Parkson in Holiday Plaza (Johor Baru) Email: info@mygrandcell.com

I find it innovative, energy saving, price reasonable as it's in promo price and it's direct supplier in the Home Fair.

2) Simtone - Switches /Outlets come with functional design with comtemporary Flair. HQ : Spain. Website: http://www.simon.com.my

I find the price quite reasonable. Design display in the exhibit fine. However, they don't have the white color I want. There are other color series ie bronze,steel, black etc..

3) Middle Curtains Design & Furnishing - www.curtain.com.my

Great promo price in Home Fair, very tempting to buy then.. but refrain as I'd yet to finalised my house theme and design with family.. don't want to regret on my purchases then.. as this can be purchased later.

4)ANZ Home Furnishing - There is showroom in Bukit Indah, 61,63, Jalan Indah 16/12, Taman Bukit Indah, Johor, 81200,Malaysia. Tel:012-7789567

No website. There are different design of wardrobe,beds that attract my attention. Apparently, any furnishing sending to Spore will subject to taxes, transport fees etc.The promo price seems attractive in the Home Fair.

5) Focus Buildware - Househole Accessories, Wardrobe Accessories, Bathroom Accessories, Kitchen Accessories.

Email : focusbuildware8@gmail.com

Not sure who are the distributors in JB. Main office is in Klang.

Can't resist the temptation of buying anymore.. and purchased some bathroom accessories.. but due to biz trip and limited capacity to be able to bring back to SG..

got to go now.. will con't to update when have some time..

Catch up again..

Hi,

Can someone who have Straits Times Newspaper help to check and advise..

Was told that Gain City has promotion on aircons and electrical appliances etc till end of this SUN 15 Nov09.

I am not in town now till this Sat..but hope can be in time to purchase the AIRCONs.

Thanks!

List of work for the Renovator

It's kind of headache to consolidate the quotations and compare.. however, after going thru the complex process, one does learn something.

Here's the consolidated list :- (Let me know if there is anything left out. Thanks!) :rolleyes:

Apply HDB permit fee

Sand and Haulage fee (transportation+delivery)

Debris fee (clearance of rubbish and left over materials)

Acid cleaning/Chemical wash

Hacking Works/Dismantle works

Supply labour & materials to hack the wall between kitchen and service balcony.

Supply labour & materials to dismantle existing service balcony door and window.

Supply labour & materials to patch up affected area after hacking and dismantle

"Wet Works

"

Supply labour & material to construct 50mm thickness cement base for

- (Kitchen) L-shaped base for fridge,cabinet,Washing Basin cabinet

"-(service balcony) Half of Service Area ie I-shape base for washing machine and pipe box up base

ie cement base for box up pipe in service balcony that join the cement base of washing machine."

-(MBR) Toilet cabine base below the vanity top.

Supply labour & material to construct kerb for :-

Supply labour & material to construct 1 shower kerb with tiles to separate wet and dry area in common toilet.

Supply labour & material to construct 1 shower kerb with tiles to separate wet and dry area in MBR toilet.

Supply labour & material to construct kerb at main door entrance with tiles to separate outdoor and indoor to prevent dust, water.

Alteration of existing main gate and main door to make good.

Flooring

To supply & lay entrance and room walkways in Danto Japanese mosaic & quartz tile

"-To supply labour and material to lay living, dining area 600mmx600mm ""Anti Stain"" super polished homogeneous tiles include skirting

Option To supply labour and material to lay boarder tiles@bedroom common area

"To supply and lay""Anti Stain"" super polished heavy duty non-slip homogeneous floor or rustic ceramics kitchen floor finish tiles include skirting

*Tiles based on $2.80psf"

To supply and laying of waterproofing membrane at kitchen

To supply and lay homogeneous tiles in balcony

To supply and install/laying 3 bedrooms and 1 study room with "German Technology" heavy duty laminate flooring in 4mm thk rubber underlay with aluminium foil c/w skirting for all rooms.

Partition

To design, fabricate/supply & install 5 ft pillar divider w/ glass at entryway

Altar

To design, fabricate/supply & install 4 ft full height altar near entrance

Additional Storage @Bomb Shelter

To design, fabricate/supply & install 12 ft full height cupboards w/door for bomb shelter

To design, fabricate/supply & install mirror at the centre (dimension)

Option Shoe cabinet with laminate finish 3ft (Laminate use $40/pc)

Living Area

To design, fabricate/supply & install full height,6ft(L) feature wall/cabinet@living hall area. ie TV,shelves with mixture of casement doors and open concept.

Kitchen

To design, fabricate/supply & install 35ft(L) laminated kitchen cabinet c/w ABS trimming door and steel disk rack.

To design, fabricate/supply & install 17ft(L) solid top @ kitchen cabinet area

Master Bedroom

To design, fabricate/supply & install 6 ft wardrobe w/casement wooden doors in master bedroom

To design, fabricate/supply & install 5 ft storage cupboard under window in master bedroom

To design, fabricate/supply & install 10mm temepered glass shower screen in master toilet

To design, fabricate/supply & install aluminium powder coated sliding doors below vanity in master toilet

Bedroom2

To design, fabricate/supply & install 6.8 ft wardrobe w/casement wooden doors in bedroom 2

To design, fabricate/supply & install 5 ft storage cupboard under window in bedroom 2

To design, fabricate/supply & install 2 full height storage cupboards in bedroom 2

Bedroom3

To design, fabricate/supply & install 5 ft storage cupboard under window in bedroom 3

To design, fabricate/supply & install full height storage cupboard in bedroom 3 (dimension)

To design, fabricate/supply & install bedhead in w/storage cubby in bedroom 3

To design, fabricate/supply & install 7 ft wardrobe w/casement wooden doors in bedroom 3

To design, fabricate/supply & install 8 ft study desk w/drawers and shelving above in bedroom 3

Study Room

To design, fabricate/supply & install aluminium & glass sliding doors in study

To design, fabricate/supply & install bench w/cabinets in study

To design, fabricate/supply & install 5.6 ft study desk w/drawers and shelving above in study

Windows

To design, fabricate/supply & install potbelly iron grilles for balcony

To supply & install casement window & grilles in service yard

To supply & install aluminium window grilles for windows in 4 rooms

Painting

To paint whole unit in ICI Dulux paint

Pumbling Works

Replacement of standard stainless steel piping

Labour for installation of storage heater

To design, fabricate/supply & install/run hot and water piping (3 pts) ie Kitchen, common toilet and master bedroom toilet

Supply labour for installation of bathrooms' accessories

Supply labour for installation of kitchen sink and hob

To design, fabricate/supply & laying of concealed drainage pipe for kitchen sink

To design, fabricate/supply & laying of concealed drainage pipe for washer

Relocate the gas piping (was told suppose to be done by pub) foc .. is this true?

The total package come to 45K Is this consider reasonable price? :help:

Edited by doremon2009

It's kind of headache to consolidate the quotations and compare.. however, after going thru the complex process, one does learn something.

Here's the consolidated list :- (Let me know if there is anything left out. Thanks!) :rolleyes:

Apply HDB permit fee

Sand and Haulage fee (transportation+delivery)

Debris fee (clearance of rubbish and left over materials)

Acid cleaning/Chemical wash

Supply labour & materials to dismantle existing service balcony door and window.

"Wet Works

"

"-(service balcony) Half of Service Area ie I-shape base for washing machine and pipe box up base

ie cement base for box up pipe in service balcony that join the cement base of washing machine."

Supply labour & material to construct 1 shower kerb with tiles to separate wet and dry area in common toilet.

Supply labour & material to construct 1 shower kerb with tiles to separate wet and dry area in MBR toilet.

Supply labour & material to construct kerb at main door entrance with tiles to separate outdoor and indoor to prevent dust, water.

Flooring

To supply & lay entrance and room walkways in Danto Japanese mosaic & quartz tile

"-To supply labour and material to lay living, dining area 600mmx600mm ""Anti Stain"" super polished homogeneous tiles include skirting

"To supply and lay""Anti Stain"" super polished heavy duty non-slip homogeneous floor or rustic ceramics kitchen floor finish tiles include skirting

To supply and install/laying 3 bedrooms and 1 study room with "German Technology" heavy duty laminate flooring in 4mm thk rubber underlay with aluminium foil c/w skirting for all rooms.

Partition

Altar

To design, fabricate/supply & install 12 ft full height cupboards w/door for bomb shelter

To design, fabricate/supply & install mirror at the centre (dimension)

Option Shoe cabinet with laminate finish 3ft (Laminate use $40/pc)

Living Area

To design, fabricate/supply & install full height,6ft(L) feature wall/cabinet@living hall area. ie TV,shelves with mixture of casement doors and open concept.

Kitchen

To design, fabricate/supply & install 35ft(L) laminated kitchen cabinet c/w ABS trimming door and steel disk rack.

To design, fabricate/supply & install 17ft(L) solid top @ kitchen cabinet area

Master Bedroom

To design, fabricate/supply & install 6 ft wardrobe w/casement wooden doors in master bedroom

To design, fabricate/supply & install 5 ft storage cupboard under window in master bedroom

To design, fabricate/supply & install 10mm temepered glass shower screen in master toilet

To design, fabricate/supply & install aluminium powder coated sliding doors below vanity in master toilet

Bedroom2

To design, fabricate/supply & install 6.8 ft wardrobe w/casement wooden doors in bedroom 2

To design, fabricate/supply & install 5 ft storage cupboard under window in bedroom 2

To design, fabricate/supply & install 2 full height storage cupboards in bedroom 2

Bedroom3

To design, fabricate/supply & install 5 ft storage cupboard under window in bedroom 3

To design, fabricate/supply & install full height storage cupboard in bedroom 3 (dimension)

To design, fabricate/supply & install bedhead in w/storage cubby in bedroom 3

To design, fabricate/supply & install 7 ft wardrobe w/casement wooden doors in bedroom 3

To design, fabricate/supply & install 8 ft study desk w/drawers and shelving above in bedroom 3

Study Room

To design, fabricate/supply & install aluminium & glass sliding doors in study

To design, fabricate/supply & install bench w/cabinets in study

To design, fabricate/supply & install 5.6 ft study desk w/drawers and shelving above in study

Windows

Painting

Pumbling Works

To design, fabricate/supply & install/run hot and water piping (3 pts) ie Kitchen, common toilet and master bedroom toilet

To design, fabricate/supply & laying of concealed drainage pipe for kitchen sink

Relocate the gas piping (was told suppose to be done by pub) foc .. is this true?

Hihi.

It is hard to comment whether this is reasonable or not. It is better if the contractor quote every item individually so that if you want to remove any item, you know how much you can save. Or how much is per ft of carpentry for example.

Also, I don't see any cost for electrical work. :)

See my comments in Blue.

Apply HDB permit fee FOC

Sand and Haulage fee (transportation+delivery) FOC

Debris fee (clearance of rubbish and left over materials) FOC

Acid cleaning/Chemical wash ard $200

"Wet Works

"

Hacking/dismantle, wet work ard $2.5K.

Flooring

What is ""Anti Stain"" or which polished tiles are not ""Anti Stain""? Tiles based on $2.80psf, how about getting the tiles yourself, just ask them to provide labour? Using which brand of laminating flooring? Need more info, if not can't compare apple with orange? Area, dimension is also needed.

Partition

Tempered glass or normal glass?

Altar

Ard $360

To design, fabricate/supply & install 12 ft full height cupboards w/door for bomb shelter Should be ard $2800.

To design, fabricate/supply & install mirror at the centre (dimension) Dimension?

Option Shoe cabinet with laminate finish 3ft (Laminate use $40/pc) Full height or half height?

Living Area

To design, fabricate/supply & install full height,6ft(L) feature wall/cabinet@living hall area. ie TV,shelves with mixture of casement doors and open concept. This need to see design is not hard to est., $1400

Kitchen

To design, fabricate/supply & install 35ft(L) laminated kitchen cabinet c/w ABS trimming door and steel disk rack. $3500

To design, fabricate/supply & install 17ft(L) solid top @ kitchen cabinet area Brand of solid top?

Master Bedroom

To design, fabricate/supply & install 6 ft wardrobe w/casement wooden doors in master bedroom $1200

To design, fabricate/supply & install 5 ft storage cupboard under window in master bedroom $800

To design, fabricate/supply & install 10mm temepered glass shower screen in master toilet Length?

To design, fabricate/supply & install aluminium powder coated sliding doors below vanity in master toilet $300

Bedroom2

To design, fabricate/supply & install 6.8 ft wardrobe w/casement wooden doors in bedroom 2 $1400

To design, fabricate/supply & install 5 ft storage cupboard under window in bedroom 2 $800

To design, fabricate/supply & install 2 full height storage cupboards in bedroom 2 Length?

Bedroom3

To design, fabricate/supply & install 5 ft storage cupboard under window in bedroom 3 $800

To design, fabricate/supply & install full height storage cupboard in bedroom 3 (dimension) Length?

To design, fabricate/supply & install bedhead in w/storage cubby in bedroom 3 Length?

To design, fabricate/supply & install 7 ft wardrobe w/casement wooden doors in bedroom 3 $1400

To design, fabricate/supply & install 8 ft study desk w/drawers and shelving above in bedroom 3 $1600

Study Room

To design, fabricate/supply & install aluminium & glass sliding doors in study Length?

To design, fabricate/supply & install bench w/cabinets in study Length?

To design, fabricate/supply & install 5.6 ft study desk w/drawers and shelving above in study $1200

Windows

Dimension for your windows?

Painting

Wash 'n' Wear, 3 in 1 or Pentalite? How many colour and coating? Kitchen and bathrooms ceiling using mouldguard?

Pumbling Works

Relocate the gas piping (was told suppose to be done by pub) foc .. is this true? Citygas will charge $120 (or $200, forgot liao...can check on their website) for that and it will be in your SP bill.

Plumbling works should be ard $1K

Hmm quite difficult to see if you got miss out anything, cos it's really up to you to decide what to include in your reno etc

Maybe I can just send u my contractor quotation to me then u compare and see? Need ur email add tho...

hi doremon, your quotation for kitchen does not specify whether cabinets come with anti-slam, as well as drawer runners, whether its anti-slam.

get ur contractor to specify everything in black and white - brand of anti-slam hinges, runners for drawers, etc.

ur steel dish rack too - will it be covered or exposed?

and like what the other forummers have said, have the electrical works included - get the cost breakdown point by point, how much it costs to install extra SCV point, etc...

i agree that your quotation is too ambiguous to be worth 45k. if they use poor quality items, 30k also considered expensive.

a detailed list of items would be more useful so that you can decide what things you can DIY (get other contractor)

eg. classic door with door frame + lockset + stopper was quoted to me at $400, i sourced from outside and cheapest i see is $450. so obviously i go for the $400 one :D

By the way, Doremon 'long time no see' i thou your reno have started oredi! Now then get quotes huh, when u expected to start your reno and then ur completed timing to contractor is how long? normally u need to give them some allowance for defects too. By the way, your quote is not clear, ask ur contractor to give an itemised breakdown for EvErY item... I have doubts on the below too. What brand u r being quoted? as far as i rem, last time i went to get Voringer quote directly from the supplier, they quoted me super ex. becos it really is the highest quality as far as i know comparing to e other brands. lastly i used Pergo family range, lowest range, but made in msian. so far so good. :)

"German Technology" heavy duty laminate flooring (To specify)? then how long warranty? made in where?

Acid Cleaning/Chemical washing = can ask for Foc

Danto Japanese mosaic (What's that)? how it look like, made where?

""Anti Stain"" super polished homogeneous tiles, really Anti-stain? sure or not? then super polished, will it be slippery when there's water spillage? ask ur contractor abt it.

As for Painting, how many rooms included, ceiling included? the base coat how many? coatings of paint, they paint how many times? how many type of colours can be choosen?

Relocate gas pipe, NOT possible to be foc. you will have to call and arrange yourself. for switching off and turning on, Live Gas. becos its quite dangerous to have LIVe gas on, when they reno.

No electricity works? no cable points no nothing?

I've also noticed a lot of carpentry works ongoing, that's why the quote is much more higher. if u wana save costs, get a separate quote from trusted carpenters, then u can save more on this.