Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
wind30

Reno For Landed

Actually the tiles shop has pricing on the tiles already. It is like a rrp price.

However, these tiles shop will sell the tiles to the contractor at contractor price. Which is where they make money from. So if you see that it is $20, it might be $17 and the contractor earn the $3 lo.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Actually the tiles shop has pricing on the tiles already. It is like a rrp price.

However, these tiles shop will sell the tiles to the contractor at contractor price. Which is where they make money from. So if you see that it is $20, it might be $17 and the contractor earn the $3 lo.

oh u mean tiles price is controlled for most shops? got rrp one meh? what I am saying is there is two shops selling the SAME tiles.

shop A sell at $20

shop B sell at $15

Contractor A bring u to shop A and says u can choose up to $20, while contractor B bring you to shop B and say you can choose up to $15.

I never knew marble tiles shops has rrp. I always assume the prices can vary quite a bit shop to shop.

oh u mean tiles price is controlled for most shops? got rrp one meh? what I am saying is there is two shops selling the SAME tiles.

shop A sell at $20

shop B sell at $15

Contractor A bring u to shop A and says u can choose up to $20, while contractor B bring you to shop B and say you can choose up to $15.

I never knew marble tiles shops has rrp. I always assume the prices can vary quite a bit shop to shop.

If you get a main-con to manage all the work, chances are it will be more expensive that breaking down the works. The main-con will add some 'surcharges' to the quote from the sub-con. For example, if he engages a roofing contractor and was quoted 20K, chances are he will apply a 5% or 10% charges on this line item. For air-con, another 5% ... and so forth.

I think where possible, try to engage some major items directly yourself. Like roofing, aircon, electrical etc .. you'll be surprised at the savings .. but yes alot more work and hunting around but you can deal direct to get the lowest possible prices.

But when it comes to coordinating, the main-con can still do the coordination and all ...

For tiles, yes the same tiles can be prices different at different shops. A good start might be for you to head-down to one of the tile supplier and see for yourself which tiles you like and get the samples. Then you will have an idea what the flooring and tiling cost will be.

Marble is good but maint is very high esp if you go for the white based ones ...

To save cost, tiling half a wall as opposed to the full wall makes **** of a difference ... nothing a good colour scheme can address this ...

If you get a main-con to manage all the work, chances are it will be more expensive that breaking down the works. The main-con will add some 'surcharges' to the quote from the sub-con. For example, if he engages a roofing contractor and was quoted 20K, chances are he will apply a 5% or 10% charges on this line item. For air-con, another 5% ... and so forth.

I think where possible, try to engage some major items directly yourself. Like roofing, aircon, electrical etc .. you'll be surprised at the savings .. but yes alot more work and hunting around but you can deal direct to get the lowest possible prices.

Yes but the problem is you are not sure of the quality of work with different contractors. The main con usually have a set of people he uses all the time right? so the quality is more consistent.

I dunno. I am trying to bargain down the prices. His quote for marble flooring including skirting is like $27/psf for max $15/psf marble cost. That is pretty high. He says it is because he does double waterproofing at bottom side. And uses epoxy to do the grooves and seal the top of the marble.

Anyone has any quotes for marble flooring?

$250k for renovation? You serious? That's a quarter of a million dollars! Why spend that kind of money on a house in Lentor? It's not Sentosa Cove!

I think you're really quite new at this. Better read up a lot more. My blog has some tips. Search for "Reflections on Renovation".

One tip-- don't be hung up on moving in before new year. You'll have lots of headache due to that one constraint. Cost will go up, quality will drop due to the rush, you'll make mistakes and wrong choices due to the pressure, etc.

Yes but the problem is you are not sure of the quality of work with different contractors. The main con usually have a set of people he uses all the time right? so the quality is more consistent.

I dunno. I am trying to bargain down the prices. His quote for marble flooring including skirting is like $27/psf for max $15/psf marble cost. That is pretty high. He says it is because he does double waterproofing at bottom side. And uses epoxy to do the grooves and seal the top of the marble.

Anyone has any quotes for marble flooring?

$250k for renovation? You serious? That's a quarter of a million dollars! Why spend that kind of money on a house in Lentor? It's not Sentosa Cove!

I think you're really quite new at this. Better read up a lot more. My blog has some tips. Search for "Reflections on Renovation".

One tip-- don't be hung up on moving in before new year. You'll have lots of headache due to that one constraint. Cost will go up, quality will drop due to the rush, you'll make mistakes and wrong choices due to the pressure, etc.

my contractor says it is not possible by new year so it will be late march or early april.

The reason for the cost is I am hacking away EVERYTHING, wall tiles, flooring, roofing. The quote 250k is a bit on the high side but I think the CHEAPEST is probably around 200k. As it includes everything like electrical, aircon, woodwork.

Of course, if I keep the floor, roof then it will be like 60-80k cheaper.

i think u misread my reply ... not all main-con will have the 'expertise' to do everything under the reno-sun. So they will sub the work out to company/pple who are in that paricular field. His job is then to coordinate and manage the work done by these people.

It is not commercially feasible for the majority of the IDs and Contractors to have expertise and dept in all areas of reno from Design, Build, Aircon, Solar solutions, Main Gate and Seurity, Accessories etc ... So even if u get the 3-1 aircon from Company ABC, dun be surprise if DEF Aircon Services come to your house to install them.

Yes, they will have some pple that they worked with before and their own group of contacts but mind you, they will still add on the 'mark-up'.

With regards to Quality - we are all threading on a fine grey line ... with a main-con or sub-con, you still need to chase after someone when the work is not up to your expectation ... if a job is sub-con, it just means the main-con has to go after the sub-con at your insistence to get rectification.

Why still do skirting ? Leave them out and you save loads of money and also maintaining them ...

my contractor says it is not possible by new year so it will be late march or early april.

The reason for the cost is I am hacking away EVERYTHING, wall tiles, flooring, roofing. The quote 250k is a bit on the high side but I think the CHEAPEST is probably around 200k. As it includes everything like electrical, aircon, woodwork.

The amount of work to be done is not the reason for the high cost. And whether it's $200K or $250K, it's still a very large number.

The question is, why do all this work?

Edited by waileong

The amount of work to be done is not the reason for the high cost. And whether it's $200K or $250K, it's still a very large number.

The question is, why do all this work?

Renovations I feel does keep its value provided you maintain it is it is not an expenditure.

Example, my former place I spend 40k doing reno and I think I sold on an average 50k higher than my neighbours. Mine is an EC just passed 5 year occupation period so a lot of people selling.

If my place is well renovated, I think can fetch 150k higher if the condition is ok like after 5 years? The point is to spend money on the IMPT stuff that people look for, like flooring, storage, roofing. Out of 4 toilets, we will be using only one as our family is small. So money spent in redoing the toilets will keep its value.

The impt thing is to maintain your house and the reno will pay for itself when the time comes to sell it so you get to stay in a very nice place with for a small fee. And don't do special designer deco that is toooo crazy.

Have you decided on your contractor or are you sourcing for more options?

Cos you seems to be quoting just one contractor. :)

Renovations I feel does keep its value provided you maintain it is it is not an expenditure.

Example, my former place I spend 40k doing reno and I think I sold on an average 50k higher than my neighbours. Mine is an EC just passed 5 year occupation period so a lot of people selling.

If my place is well renovated, I think can fetch 150k higher if the condition is ok like after 5 years? The point is to spend money on the IMPT stuff that people look for, like flooring, storage, roofing. Out of 4 toilets, we will be using only one as our family is small. So money spent in redoing the toilets will keep its value.

The impt thing is to maintain your house and the reno will pay for itself when the time comes to sell it so you get to stay in a very nice place with for a small fee. And don't do special designer deco that is toooo crazy.

It's really contentious, we have clients shopping around for landed property and are quoted around the average of 3.5m to 5m for the properties that they are looking at. The problem is generally the valuation is off by at least 700k to 1.25m on the average. The sellers are pricing in the renovations. The valuers aren't. The buyers get stranded.

I don't think that constitutes a conclusive finding of a scientific study of the value of renovation....

Just remember that with renovations, esp $$$$ renovations:

The cost is clear, and can surprise only on the upside;

The impact to cash flow is definite;

The risks are high, esp for those unfamiliar with reno;

The time taken will be long, and can only surprise on the long side;

The recouping of the reno cost is uncertain at best.

Edited by waileong

It's really contentious, we have clients shopping around for landed property and are quoted around the average of 3.5m to 5m for the properties that they are looking at. The problem is generally the valuation is off by at least 700k to 1.25m on the average. The sellers are pricing in the renovations. The valuers aren't. The buyers get stranded.

I am sure valuers are pricing in the renovations, else why bother coming to the place to do valuations. It question is how much. I think MAXIMUM of 10% of the property price is all buyers can expect. The idea is of course do things that are durable and acceptable to most buyers like roofing, marble flooring, strip timber flooring or things that increase useable space, add a new room, etc.

Valuation is just a number, an opinion-- maybe an informed opinion, but still just an opinion...

It's a number used to secure a loan from a bank. And for one to use as a base to negotiate off.

The transaction price is really up to who blinks first, who's more "motivated".

Buyers don't have to be "stranded"-- take your business elsewhere if you can't afford it.

Valuation is just a number, an opinion-- maybe an informed opinion, but still just an opinion...

It's a number used to secure a loan from a bank. And for one to use as a base to negotiate off.

The transaction price is really up to who blinks first, who's more "motivated".

Buyers don't have to be "stranded"-- take your business elsewhere if you can't afford it.

Agree. Valuation is just a reference point with Buyer and seller on either side of this number. To me, it seems valuations is like 95% based on recent transactions in that area for the same housing type and the balance 5% based on condition of house, location. But because banks use it as a maximum level to work on the loan amount, it's an important number.

for bro wind, i suggest use another 1 or 2 contractors to compare prices. but remember to compare apples to apples and factor in a good buffer....u will definitely add more things along the way.

for me, i look at renovation to make the place livable to my standards and expectations. not for the purpose of how much i can sell next time. one man's meat is another man's poison. espcially if u intend to stay at the place long term. by the time u want to sell, new design will have appeared to make your reno look outdated.

reno is a tiring but exciting thing. have fun.