Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zhiz

Too Difficult To Choose A Mattress

I think better stick to just the big 4 S....sealy, slumberland, simmons, serta....or nightingale cellini.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I'm using Simmons. bought from courts 2 yrs back. still very good.

according to the salesperson, quite a number of hotels in SG uses Simmons mattress. he even have a brochure stating which hotel uses which

Edited by hawthorne

I'm using Simmons. bought from courts 2 yrs back. still very good.

according to the salesperson, quite a number of hotels in SG uses Simmons mattress. he even have a brochure stating which hotel uses which

Which series u bought and how much?me thinking of buying

over the weekend learnt a lot about mattresses. learnt about and saw for myself that mattresses are named differently at different shops. how prices can differ by a few hundred, and how desperate salesman can literally always match other shop prices and throw in freebies.

but i really dun like mattress salesman :(

only slumberland lady at furniture mall stands out though i not getting slumberland. aiming sealy.

Today finally decided after the 3rd try on the mattresses. Decided to get it from Harvey Norman Centrepoint through the first saleslady who guided us patiently on mattress selection and trying out different brands. She was totally unlike the other sales ppl at Courts or Sealy Boutique who was either relentless at brand/store bashing or literally forcing you to put a deposit.

She told us to try each bed for 10 min to get a good feel on the bed. Super patient and helpful. The most honest i met as compared to the 6-7 bed salesppl i come across.

Managed to get a very very good price as well, esp that Harvey is offering a $200 off at this point in time. Even though boutique can match price plus some freebies, we felt that the HN lady really deserve to be rewarded for her good sales etiquette.

yup got the same kind of hard selling tactic from courts the last time i bought a mattress. their comm should be quite high ba. usually we wont buy it if they r 2 pushy we would rather go else where for second opinion

yup got the same kind of hard selling tactic from courts the last time i bought a mattress. their comm should be quite high ba. usually we wont buy it if they r 2 pushy we would rather go else where for second opinion

use the competitor price approach and you can further press them down by a couple of hundreds.

I had a hard time looking for mattress too, so many brands !!!! Luckily i met a honest saleman who tell me " Believe in yourself, sales talk listen only 50 % cos salesman sometimes oversell or over promise you" ( They can tell you how many springs inside the mattress, do you believe them ?) If you r comfortable with the mattress and the price is reasonable, just go ahead.

In the end, i end up buying from him, " Dutchess (New Design) " from Dunlopillow . Beware there are two models, one is "old and "new". :rolleyes: The price is good, cos i have compared with other dealers..............

After reading up, lying on mattress, looking at the huge varying prices, how can anyone really make up their mind on mattress choosing?

Soft, Medium soft, hard, brands, latex, pocket spring, memory foam.

DIfferent brand, different sales talk, different techonology or brand bashing....

If you are looking for Dunlopillow, try the one at Trade Hub 21 , next to Nova. So far i think the price is ok cos they only sell Dunlopillow. My advice : go on weekdays cos you have more time to bargain with them, I bought my "Dutchess New" queen size at only $1388 nett

You are absolutely right. Softer mattresses act like a winter coat. So if you are not planning to sleep with your air-con on, get something firmer so that you are not stuck inside your mattress.

if u r staying in the west u can try IMM then go to TradeHub 21, the prices there cheaper .

Hi everyone,

i came across this very useful website that gives tips on how to choose your mattress and also negotiate for a better price

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/guide...tiating1-3.html

Tip 1

There are two things you should bring when going shopping for a mattress; our framework provided below and a notebook. Not only will this help you compare mattresses at different stores but you will also get the salesperson's attention and most importantly, his/her respect.

The mattress salesperson will see that you are doing your research and realize he/she will have to work hard for your business, which means a better deal for you.

Our framework and a notebook will also help you sort out all the statistics of the beds you are interested in. This is called the Buyclass theory of purchasing. This refers to a scheme that divides organizational buying decisions into types based on the complexity and effort required to make them.

There are three decision-making decisions you are doing here, which will most certainly impress the salesperson and help you make the right buy:

1. You are gathering as much information as possible prior to making a decision.

2. You are also considering all possible alternatives seriously.

3. Lastly, you are becoming familiar with the type of purchase you are making.

Tip 2 - How to Comparison Shop for a Mattress

Now we are going to teach you to comparison shop for a mattress, also known as making an Accommodative Purchase decision. This is a process that uses bargaining, coercion, compromise, and the wielding of power to achieve an agreement with the salesperson who most likely has a different preference or priority than you.

So, now that you have your trusty notebook and our framework, you can begin taking down information and statistics on your favorite mattresses now you are ready for some cognitive learning.

As you are taking down some statistics, try out the mattresses you are interested in by lying on them. Make sure you lie on each one for three to five minutes so you get a good feel for it. Also, roll around a bit to see how the mattress responds to your body.

After lying on a bunch of them, pick out your favorite two and write down the statistics for the bed (manufacturer, best price, coil count, coil gauge, ticking, etc.) If the information is not available, ask for the spec sheet.

After you do this, ask the salesperson what the absolute best price is for one of them. Whatever the price is, even if it sounds like a bargain, reply by saying something like "Wow, that's pretty high." Then, do the same thing with your other favorite mattress.

The salesperson will try to convince you to buy one right then, but make sure to leave the store without buying anything!

When you get to the next shop, ask that salesperson for the brand with the same specification of your favorite mattress that was in the other store. It will most certainly be called something else but it is probably the same exact bed.

Once the salesperson shows you the mattress with the same specifications, lie on it and see if it feels similar to the one in the previous store. Then ask the salesperson what the best price is for this specific mattress.

After he/she responds, say something like, "Wow, that's a lot higher than (name the previous store you were in)" your competitors have a lower price on this one, how about another one?? Then ask about your second favorite mattress and do the same exact thing.

By using these tactics, you will compare apples with apples and get the best price from your respective salesperson.

This is called using Compensatory Decision Rules. These are a set of rules that allows information about attributes of competing products to be averaged in some way; good standing on one can potentially offset poor standing on another attribute.

You are doing this by rating your two favorite mattresses and taking down the specifications for each one.

For each mattress you evaluate make note of each of the following categories. This is the key to changing your mattress shopping experience from subjective to objective.

Retailer:

Manufacturer:

Make:

Model:

Coil Count:

Good/Better/Best:

Plush/pillow-top/firm/x-firm:

Ticking:

Comfortable:

Best Price:

Tip 3 - Everything is always on sale!

You are going to hear a lot of this, "We actually have a special sale on this particular mattress." And "Unfortunately, the sale ends today." Don't believe it!

Almost every store will have a "special sale" that day to make you think that the sales price is non-negotiable when in fact, it is. Make sure to look at the price they are offering as a starting price and not a sales price.

Remember this important rule:

EVERY MATTRESS PRICE IS NEGOTIABLE!

Other tips are here:

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/guide...tiating4-6.html

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/guide...iating7-10.html

Right on. The established brands will stay with you for a long time. It's better to spend a hefty amount once for a furniture that lasts, rather than spending cheaply over and over for different furnitures that are prone to wear and tear.

Anybody heard or used Max Coil before?

I have tried to lie down and compared with Slumberland 1200....it does not feel much different but the price is cheaper by few hundred bucks

Anybody heard or used Max Coil before?

I have tried to lie down and compared with Slumberland 1200....it does not feel much different but the price is cheaper by few hundred bucks

hi l1nn3, personally i feel slumberland is much beta as my buddy uses MC bought fr courts amk...

Have been using slumber for 5yrs alr and counting...

i tink the justification if the diff of the couple of hundred buck surfaces onli after usage for a couple of yrs. if u r the kind tt changes mattress regularly(like other of my fren's mum), i suggest u get the cheaper 1