Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
aerial77_00

Downlights - Yellow Or White

Hi all,

We're shopping for downlights anytime now and we need advice.

Our living room is of black & white concept. Any advice on what colour lights are advisable ? White or yellow or combination of both ?

Any current owners has valuable info to share in terms of which lights will produce heat that warm up the room ? Coz we want to eliminate this.

Thanks.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I'm using yellow downlights for my bedroom, cos I want that kind of feeling.

While, in the living room, its white downlights. Not the white-white type, but the one in between white and yellow. Because I already yellow cove lights. So, I use these white downlights when I'm reading the papers, etc.

there are 3 types

1) pure white

2) yellowish white (alittle of white and yellow)

3) yellow

I am tinking to get number 1 or 2 or mixed leh...

the yellowish white i scared not bright enuff ??? caus i dont have cove light wor.... depend on totally 16-18 downlights in living room...

any advise ?

there are 3 types

1) pure white

2) yellowish white (alittle of white and yellow)

3) yellow

I am tinking to get number 1 or 2 or mixed leh...

the yellowish white i scared not bright enuff ??? caus i dont have cove light wor.... depend on totally 16-18 downlights in living room...

any advise ?

Oh there 3 types huh ...

Hmm I think it depends on the colour theme of your living room. My fren's place was in white theme and he uses yellowing white bulbs and it looked good.

If your living room theme has a dark feel to it, think white will do good.

Mine will be white/black theme, think I'l prolly use yellowish white bulbs throughout the living room.

Hope it turn out nice .......

For me personally, I would get warm white (yellowish) for living room, coz thats looks more elegent for whole room.

dinning room, i'd make the same warm white on ceiling, but the hanging lights closer to table would be daylight white, which the light should only go to table.

For bedrooms and toilets, i would get daylight white, as it is more of practical use, as well as good for reading and clear visibility.

I would not mix different whiteness of lights in the same room, i feel it is like blown lights are quick fixed with inappropriate lights.

Edited by GSXR~RACER

Oh there 3 types huh ...

Hmm I think it depends on the colour theme of your living room. My fren's place was in white theme and he uses yellowing white bulbs and it looked good.

If your living room theme has a dark feel to it, think white will do good.

Mine will be white/black theme, think I'l prolly use yellowish white bulbs throughout the living room.

Hope it turn out nice .......

my living room will most probably paint bright colours, close to white...

hmmm all i am scared is it will be not bright enuff.......... will anot if choose yellowish white ?

how many downlights u having in ur living room ? doing L Box ah ? or false ceiling ?

my living room will most probably paint bright colours, close to white...

hmmm all i am scared is it will be not bright enuff.......... will anot if choose yellowish white ?

how many downlights u having in ur living room ? doing L Box ah ? or false ceiling ?

As I intend to hv white walls & ceiling with black furnitures, and from GSXR~RACER's comments, I kinda agree to not mix warm white and daylight white in same room. So think I'l go with warm white throughout the living & dining area.

Zio -> my living room is of odd shape and not the squarish design. I was thinking of having false ceiling for the entire living + dining area except the ceiling fan. Till now I am still unsure how to design the ceiling, but I've decided not to have cove lighting.

*blur*

Edited by aerial77_00

As I intend to hv white walls & ceiling with black furnitures, and from GSXR~RACER's comments, I kinda agree to not mix warm white and daylight white in same room. So think I'l go with warm white throughout the living & dining area.

Zio -> my living room is of odd shape and not the squarish design. I was thinking of having false ceiling for the entire living + dining area except the ceiling fan. Till now I am still unsure how to design the ceiling, but I've decided not to have cove lighting.

*blur*

Hey same, my living room is odd shape one... like "L" shape lidat, guess in the past its built lidat :D

I am doing L Box in whole living room. Not doing cove lighting as it collect dust and i wonder how many times per year I am going to use those cove lights...lol

in the middle can put one ceiling fan

I have seen those pure white lightings in ppl's house... hmmm seems too white and boring leh, the only thing about warm white is I scared not bright enuff as I solely depend on the 16-18 downlights nia for living room. shall see how bah...

Hey same, my living room is odd shape one... like "L" shape lidat, guess in the past its built lidat :D

I am doing L Box in whole living room. Not doing cove lighting as it collect dust and i wonder how many times per year I am going to use those cove lights...lol

in the middle can put one ceiling fan

I have seen those pure white lightings in ppl's house... hmmm seems too white and boring leh, the only thing about warm white is I scared not bright enuff as I solely depend on the 16-18 downlights nia for living room. shall see how bah...

Another reason for me not wanting the cove lighting is the possible "home" for lizards etc ... !

Learnt that from this forum ;)

Another thing is what is the current trend of the downlights ?

if you go around lighting shop u know that, they got those surrounding with glass one. It is said to diffuse the lights out.

They say that one is new, or will u all choose the normal one ? like the one shown. For L Box, thinking that it is white in colour already, if get the normal one, its better to get the "steel" ones right ?

spa0280.jpg

Another thing is what is the current trend of the downlights ?

if you go around lighting shop u know that, they got those surrounding with glass one. It is said to diffuse the lights out.

They say that one is new, or will u all choose the normal one ? like the one shown. For L Box, thinking that it is white in colour already, if get the normal one, its better to get the "steel" ones right ?

spa0280.jpg

Personally, I think, the white one looks better if the ceiling is white. Just my preference. :P