Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
HungryPillow

Hungry's Home

Hi folks,

been lurking around since the beginning of the year, reading posts and getting ideas from your lovely homes.

We've been wanting to buy our own place for some time now, but over the last couple of years the pricing was too prohibitive.

Finally bit the bullet and bought this apartment because we liked the location, and it was convenient for us.

Bit of background, we have been renting for the last few years, money down the drain really, so definitely time to buy.

We were staying in a small studio on the top floor and loved it there, but the rental kept increasing year after year.

To get to the point, this apartment was basically in move-in condition when we bought it, owner occupied.

We didn't do very much to be honest, because we weren't sure how long we would be staying and didn't want to spend too much on renovation works. Plus we had to work with a tight timeline, renovation had to be completed in 3 weeks, we had to move in right after because our lease was running out.

Works done was pretty minimal:

- changed the floor tiles in the kitchen

- knocked down the second bedroom

- redid the common bathroom

- polishing of the floors

- repainting

- redoing the aircon trunking for the bedroom we were hacking

- some electrical works, moving powerpoints around etc.

Did we have a concept in mind? Yes, I wanted a homey, comfortable Balinese feel with lots of wood around the house. He wanted modern and minimalist. Being somewhat uhm, less sterile by nature (sounds far better than saying messy), it is impossible for me to deal with minimalist decor. I want a place to live in, not tiptoe around, and I definitely need my stuff!

In the end I am sad to say, there isn't much of a concept, except I tried to minimize use of glass and steel around the house.

The bedroom has an oriental feel, but I think that is because of the lighting we chose.

Without further ado, enjoy!

The living room

3999410116_1246b89a8e_m.jpg

What was the second bedroom... is now our work/play area

3999434496_10b998d30d_m.jpg

The dining area

3998651989_3b62c227ed_m.jpg

The kitchen - as you can see, still in pretty good condition, probably because the last person who lived here was a bachelor. I daresay when we move-out the kitchen should be just as immaculate. Yep, don't cook all that much!

3998700989_41a7cb8c20_m.jpg

3998694707_83dfa1553d_m.jpg

The new bathroom

The small balcony

The adjoining ensuite

- left as-is, since we won't be using it much. Odd, I know, we prefer using the shower... but we left the bathtub for the dog.

There's still lots of work to be done and we haven't fully finished unpacking. Will update once everything is more settled, so stayed tuned for messier pictures!

Edited to add that for some reason it keeps telling me I have posted more images than I am allowed to. Hence the url links. Perhaps this forum has a limited amount of pictures you are allowed to upload per day?

Edited by HungryPillow

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hungry, your house is literally in a move-in condition, is it a condo? yeah rgd the images, i rem can only upload 4 to 5 at a time. after that, to upload again.

Yes it is a condo, these pictures are after renovation, that's why it's in move-in condition :)

Let me see if it allow me to upload any more pics...

The bedroom

3998682661_c82ae07d3f_m.jpg

The small balcony

3999453242_0c74a6d301_m.jpg

The new bathroom

3998657621_8ceb764932_m.jpg

The ensuite

3998738209_1cccfc2b1b_m.jpg

Edited by HungryPillow

Yes it is a condo, these pictures are after renovation, that's why it's in move-in condition :)

So, in the end, how much u spent for your minor reno? any before pics to share?

Pinklady, I spent slightly over 8 grand on renovation alone, not including furniture and fixtures, lighting etc. To be fair, the place was already in move-in condition even before we moved. Very little work was required, so we did not engage an interior designer since the space is so small and we hardly use the kitchen.

We did have to buy some sanitary ware, new fridge, washer and dryer etc. Plus new furniture.

Some before pics:

The common washroom before

4003982770_02768501c2_m.jpg

The living room before

4003213827_54c8af7926_m.jpg

The second bedroom which we hacked to open up the space - on hindsight I should have kept the second wardrobe but I wanted space for the treadmill

4003216447_0c0782ddcf_m.jpg

The kitchen before - with light grey floor tiles

4003205075_59cc2e0f0b_m.jpg

Weirdly shaped side counter which we hacked

4003971644_1b5cdb88ff_m.jpg

A quick update with live-in pics

4078201464_77755f88ac.jpg

4078201558_2255aa8f49.jpg

4078201976_a191451039.jpg

4077682475_d0f5a74653.jpg

4077686987_95b7c1320e.jpg

Made a last minute decision to wall mount the telly.

Am now regretting not doing a feature wall as it would have concealed the wires.

Any suggestions? We are consulting with our contractor for options next week.

4077686987_95b7c1320e.jpg

Made a last minute decision to wall mount the telly.

Am now regretting not doing a feature wall as it would have concealed the wires.

Any suggestions? We are consulting with our contractor for options next week.

Use a triangular shaped tunnel painted same colour as your wall to conceal it.

Why triangle? Less reflection to your eyes compared to square, rectangle, semi-circle.

Pointed end facing you of course. Flat end stick onto wall with super glue.

Can DIY :paint:

The bedroom

3998682661_c82ae07d3f_m.jpg

The small balcony

3999453242_0c74a6d301_m.jpg

The new bathroom

3998657621_8ceb764932_m.jpg

The ensuite

3998738209_1cccfc2b1b_m.jpg

Hi Hungry,

Nice & cosy apartment you have.

Pardon me but would like to ask if your unit at Sin Ming-Garden@Bishan?

Coz the layout and the surrounding looks so familiar!

Cheers! :yamseng:

Why triangle? Less reflection to your eyes compared to square, rectangle, semi-circle.

Hi,

This is what I did to conceal the cables to the TV set in a simple and easiest way without the drilling/screwing.

Just place a decorative flower-vast besides the console table, pull those cable to the corner just beside the vast and camouflage it with the flowers decoration!

Hope it works for you.(see this pic sample of mine) :good:

hide-cable.jpg

Hi,

This is what I did to conceal the cables to the TV set in a simple and easiest way without the drilling/screwing.

Just place a decorative flower-vast besides the console table, pull those cable to the corner just beside the vast and camouflage it with the flowers decoration!

Hope it works for you.(see this pic sample of mine) :good:

hide-cable.jpg

That is the most ingenious tip ever, I will use your idea if other options are too expensive! From the pic you posted your wires look invisible.

Yes we live in Bishan, you too?

Nice live-in pics. Love the little touches u have in ur home, like the decal kitty and pics. And ur doggie looks very cute from the side view. :P

Thanks! We also have a "bird" hiding from our "cat", lol!

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24682#

Someone I know suggested something similar. Get a piece of board and paint it the same colour as the wall. I am not quite keen to do so because then the board would always bug me, thanks though.

Edited by HungryPillow

That is the most ingenious tip ever, I will use your idea if other options are too expensive! From the pic you posted your wires look invisible.

Yes we live in Bishan, you too?

Hi,

Yes, I used to lived there at Blk3, 3rm before I sold it and now still living at Bishan area HDB......down-grading to a humble but bigger size space for my 2 growing & growing.. bigger & bigger children.

Hope you really like the tips on how to conceal the cables which i gave, besides concealling the cables, it could also decorate your living area! :dribble: ( let me know if you need further assistance on how to do it)

Cheers!

:yamseng:

Edited by CJREDDEVIL

CJ, that's great, it's not a downgrade if you are moving to somewhere with more space!

Sometimes I feel a little pang of regret not buying a HDB for my first home.

We justified that we don't need the space, but I still long for an EM!

I showed your tip to my partner and told him to learn from you, lol. Something needs to be done about the wire management because it's driving me crazy looking at them dangling down like that. We'll see what our contractor says next week first though.

After obsessing about it for weeks, I finally changed my curtains.

On the one hand, the ones we had were perfectly serviceable, just grey and very dreary looking.

We had quotes from anywhere between 200 - 2000 per set of curtains. But while I didn't want to pay 2 grand for a pair of curtains, neither did I want a pair of 200 dollar curtains made from some hideous cast-off fabric.

The solution? My $55 dollar Ikea ready-made curtains.

Just iron and hang up.

For $55 you can't complain, and they look pleasant enough to me.

Brightens up the living area don't you think?

4080268336_daa7cd99b7.jpg