Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
MeMyself&I

Soundproofing Bedroom

Hi everyone, I am currently staying in a HDB flat that is facing a busy road. The traffic sound is really disturbing my sleep. I am wondering if the double glazed windows will help. Appreciate if someone can share their knowledge of the product. Good if you can recommend shops or contractors. How much does it cost to change a four panel window? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi everyone, I am currently staying in a HDB flat that is facing a busy road. The traffic sound is really disturbing my sleep. I am wondering if the double glazed windows will help. Appreciate if someone can share their knowledge of the product. Good if you can recommend shops or contractors. How much does it cost to change a four panel window? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Hi MeMyself&I, have you found a solution for your question? I wish to know how you solve it too.

My last place was also beside a very noisy road. So I had to close the windows whenever I was in the room. ;(

is there any sound proof window? if i walking around the house, next door neighbor can hear me walking around the house. They put black film for privacy.

I am also interested to know how much does the window cost? Alternatively, is using a heavy curtain useful? Or is there any other methods to minimise noise from outside? Thanks

My friend pl near to changi airport ... their window are design to cut down noise.

I dont know how much but contactor sure know where to get and cost

If I am facing this problem is noise from window, I wld start with the following method of elimination.

1. Heavy curtains.

2. If is sliding, change to casement. Sliding is hopeless against noise, as to many gaps.

3. Install those japanese wooden sliding blinds as a 2nd level of barrier.

If u think about it, how big window do we really need. Actually even when I open, it's normally only 1 panel. So, why need the extra panels as window?

If I am facing this problem is noise from window, I wld start with the following method of elimination.

1. Heavy curtains.

2. If is sliding, change to casement. Sliding is hopeless against noise, as to many gaps.

3. Install those japanese wooden sliding blinds as a 2nd level of barrier.

If u think about it, how big window do we really need. Actually even when I open, it's normally only 1 panel. So, why need the extra panels as window?

I agree with using the curtain first. Any heavy curtains and material to recommend?

If you are thinking of changing to double glazed windows, you will have to change the outerframe as well. Even if you are changing to a combo of casement and sliding, you still have to change frames. And that if I am not wrong is against HDB regulations, I don't think they will approve. The cheapest and most effective method is to change the rubber gaskets in the windows and put heavy curtains. But I have seen the older flats, the ones with the walkways have changed theirs. The best is to call HDB and ask. Hope this helps.

I checked with contractor before, he said that those double glaze windows are not allowed in HDB units and only done in private property/condos so far.

Hiya, windows are very difficult to work with, there are so many contractors that don't know sh$$ about what they are doing.

Double glazing doesnt working in singapore cos the glass thickness is to thin, pvc is normally a crappy quality and the alu is really bad.

For best sound reduciton, you can use the noiseblock glass overlay material that works with your exisiting frame, or you can replace the whole window with the NYTC sound reduction window.

It took a long time to find this window after so many problems, but its proven to work better than anything else at least its the same standard as what i had before in france.

as mentioned, i have had double glazing, pvc and replacment alu and they didnt work at all.