Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mgurl

Built-in Wardrobe Vs. Ikea Wardrobe

hi.. new here..

I've been looking around for wardrobe ideas and I'm getting more and more confused :(

Hubby and I went to IKEA to check out their wardrobe units and found it very nice. And while browsing around this forum I found some wardrobe pictures that are quite nice also.

Can someone share their ideas on which one is better?

IKEA ones, I liked it coz the options for drawers / compartments, etc are already there. And if we think we lack some more compartments, we can just change it easily coz it's designed to be customizable.

On the downside, it's not going to be an exact fit to the rooms (meaning the height). There would be a space on top that cannot be maximized.

For built-in ones, I really don't know where to start. Not sure how to describe to our contractor what I want (esp since I cannot decide on what I want :) )

Don't know also if I can be assured of the quality of the finished product. It might not be nice as I envisioned it to be.

Also, can anyone share around how much a built-in wardrobe will cost? Those sliding door type?

In IKEA, the 150x236cm (5ftx7.5ft) ranges from $2000 to $3000

thanks!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

what u said abt ikea's wardrobe is right. it will not b full height lor. ask ur ID to quote u for full ht built-in wardrobe and then u can compare.

in my case, e unit that i bought has a built in wardrobe and my id quoted me ~2K (for 8ft length). and this is including dismantling and putting

a new one back in its place. hence i think i'll go w my ID. cos too much hassle should i go e ikea way.

hope the above helps :)

from my research, i find that there are shops which are selling wardrobe almost up to the ceiling height but depending on where you want to place the wardrobe. there are hdb's where there is a space allocated for wardrobe length is abt max 6ft. you can always buy the a wardrobe that is 5ft 8' and the height may not be up to the ceiling but almost. i saw one wardrobe at S & C in AMK. Maybe you should measure the spacing and start from there.

Thanks for the replies. :)

Actually, one of the contractors we are looking at has visited the unit and he says that the measurements are 5ft(w)x10ft(h).

I measured the current unit we are renting and it's just around 8ft. I'm not sure if I heard him wrongly or the ceiling is really that high? :( I'll have to check again our next visit.

I'll check out ikeafans also. I might find some tips.

Really want to maximize space to fit more clothes :P

hi.. new here..

I've been looking around for wardrobe ideas and I'm getting more and more confused :(

Hubby and I went to IKEA to check out their wardrobe units and found it very nice. And while browsing around this forum I found some wardrobe pictures that are quite nice also.

Can someone share their ideas on which one is better?

IKEA ones, I liked it coz the options for drawers / compartments, etc are already there. And if we think we lack some more compartments, we can just change it easily coz it's designed to be customizable.

On the downside, it's not going to be an exact fit to the rooms (meaning the height). There would be a space on top that cannot be maximized.

For built-in ones, I really don't know where to start. Not sure how to describe to our contractor what I want (esp since I cannot decide on what I want :) )

Don't know also if I can be assured of the quality of the finished product. It might not be nice as I envisioned it to be.

Also, can anyone share around how much a built-in wardrobe will cost? Those sliding door type?

In IKEA, the 150x236cm (5ftx7.5ft) ranges from $2000 to $3000

thanks!

first of all, congrats for considering ikea

next, decide what dimensions wardrobe you want, 5ft L by 8ft H? slliding door?

get the pax 1.5m L x 2.34m H or the elga 1.45m L x 1.98m H. elga is very cheap, about $500 only.

if you want to utilise space above the wardrobe, you can use panels to box up or add in extra storage space, up to you.

even built-in cannot maximise as they come in standard dimensions, they just box up for you.

Go for ikea. there is accesories to cover the gap. check from ikeafans.

I'm going to diy my place with most of ikea stuffs.

cheers...

congrats, me too! :D

where's your t-blog?

i've done the ikea wardrobe for my mom's place...abt 6ft by their tallest unit ~2.36m

costs abt $1.6-$1.7k, including assembly and interior shelving/drawers/doors [not sliding---4 wood, 1 full length mirror]

a few contractors quote me abt $1.3k for 6ft by ceiling height (abt 8ft for HBD) and includes sliding doors.

i guess if you have any odd corners, then built in can maximize the space usage and you can still buy accessories/drawer units from ikea too, just pass to your contractor to include them.

hope this helps.

i've done the ikea wardrobe for my mom's place...abt 6ft by their tallest unit ~2.36m

costs abt $1.6-$1.7k, including assembly and interior shelving/drawers/doors [not sliding---4 wood, 1 full length mirror]

a few contractors quote me abt $1.3k for 6ft by ceiling height (abt 8ft for HBD) and includes sliding doors.

i guess if you have any odd corners, then built in can maximize the space usage and you can still buy accessories/drawer units from ikea too, just pass to your contractor to include them.

hope this helps.

Guys, for those who you who customise wardrobes from contractor/id, are your interior shelving of the same laminates as outer or just white? I've got a quote of $300/ft for my MBR wardrobe with sliding glass-frame doors. Thanks.

Guys, for those who you who customise wardrobes from contractor/id, are your interior shelving of the same laminates as outer or just white? I've got a quote of $300/ft for my MBR wardrobe with sliding glass-frame doors. Thanks.

why is it so expensive? ID prices are usually 150-250. Contractor prices are usually 80-100

why is it so expensive? ID prices are usually 150-250. Contractor prices are usually 80-100

Hmm...it's stated F/H aluminum sliding glass door...what's the normal door type? wood? Anyway, back to question, are the interiors supposed to be white or laminated?

Hmm...it's stated F/H aluminum sliding glass door...what's the normal door type? wood? Anyway, back to question, are the interiors supposed to be white or laminated?

at your price, they better be laminated.

I am using an IKEA wardrobe too, 3m long and 2.36m high. Near full height.

I like the wardrobe because I can choose what are the compartments to have inside and can just add them on in the future :P