Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
triston

House Facing

Hi.

Just wondering, when one says the house faces north. are we talking about the main door facing north? or the main living room window facing?

thanks.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi.

Just wondering, when one says the house faces north. are we talking about the main door facing north? or the main living room window facing?

thanks.

some think the main door, some think the main living room window.

for us. we look at main door. but best will be both dont face * , north or west which means 喝西北风

Some say look at ur gua to determine good facing ?

The funny thing if you observe majority of the flats sold are * facing.It happened to us when shift from woodlands to current flat. So no * facing became a criteria in my new 5room upgrade.

It also happened to my bro in law last weekend when he went flat viewing. All * front door facing.

And if you read some fengshui books, they will tell u the best facing is south, southeast. But that will really limit choices of flats. So suggest choose one which you feel comfortable and get a fengshui master to help you correct ?

Afterall there is also a saying : 没有不能住的房子

so 改改风水便能住了.

Edited by purecat

From the FS books, good facing depends on your personal Kua.

Different individuals may have different Kua and this means we may have different good facing personally.

For the facing of your house, have to see the picture to determine because many people mistaken the facade of their house as the facing.

It does not mean that the facing of the unit is the same facing of your main door, although sometimes they can be the same.

Different individuals may have different Kua and this means we may have different good facing personally.

For the facing of your house, have to see the picture to determine because many people mistaken the facade of their house as the facing.

It does not mean that the facing of the unit is the same facing of your main door, although sometimes they can be the same.

To me, does not matter the living rm/main door facing. Around main door must be clear from obstruction, gate swing toward wall (not "rejecting" ppl). Big & bright enought foyer(too bad, nowaday many pte apartment has narrow foyer). And a stoned bench (H shaped) for sitting to wear/remove shoes.

To me, does not matter the living rm/main door facing. Around main door must be clear from obstruction, gate swing toward wall (not "rejecting" ppl). Big & bright enought foyer(too bad, nowaday many pte apartment has narrow foyer). And a stoned bench (H shaped) for sitting to wear/remove shoes.

This's the bench covered with Granite which I was talking about.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/8301/dscn0641z.jpg

Edited by bepgof

"gate swing toward wall (not "rejecting" ppl)."

hi what do u mean by this? Do u mean when we open the door, the door is blocked by neighbour's flat? My gate must swing 180 degree than will go to the wall...

some think the main door, some think the main living room window.

for us. we look at main door. but best will be both dont face * , north or west which means 喝西北风

Some say look at ur gua to determine good facing ?

The funny thing if you observe majority of the flats sold are * facing.It happened to us when shift from woodlands to current flat. So no * facing became a criteria in my new 5room upgrade.

It also happened to my bro in law last weekend when he went flat viewing. All * front door facing.

And if you read some fengshui books, they will tell u the best facing is south, southeast. But that will really limit choices of flats. So suggest choose one which you feel comfortable and get a fengshui master to help you correct ?

Afterall there is also a saying : 没有不能住的房子

so 改改风水便能住了.

the part about "喝西北风" is very interesting... I didn't link up with this when I bought my flat. My main door faces north but the balcony faces *... Both me & my spouse rarely stay for long at home because we travel very often. the taiwanese FS master did tell us that the main door facing is not suitable for us because we'll need to choose a south-west for optimal FS. But thanks for sharing. "喝西北风" sounds like a nightmare from FS perspective.

"gate swing toward wall (not "rejecting" ppl)."

hi what do u mean by this? Do u mean when we open the door, the door is blocked by neighbour's flat? My gate must swing 180 degree than will go to the wall...

My main door is located extreme far end near to a wall (gate swing out, door swing in). If hinge fixed at right of frame and swing out would cause blockage to passage way as if blocking ppl from coming back to home. I purposely choose a "1 piece" gate = grand, bigger entrance.

Houses built in "northern semiphere" to be in NS/SN orientation(allows wind flows from N to S, or S to N)have scientific bearing. The facing is regarded in such a way that there is/are door/windows facing N or S, to allow wind flow during days & night. However, nowaday's building structure has complicated this principle, and get ppl confused which is which.

If you've read my postings in "Sun, Earth, Moon" thread, you'll understand earth self-spin CCW but axis tiles 23.5 degress which causes 4 seasons in a year. And how the wind is created during these seasons(diff season diff wind direction). S'pore's latitude is 1deg 20 minute N.

Again all the numbers, magnetics flux/field, positive/negative energy flow, chart, lines, DOB...NESW theories. Sigh! I'm not surprise many so-call FSMs, don't even know the earth self spins CW or CCW.

Edited by bepgof

My main door is located extreme far end near to a wall (gate swing out, door swing in). If hinge fixed at right of frame and swing out would cause blockage to passage way as if blocking ppl from coming back to home. I purposely choose a "1 piece" gate = grand, bigger entrance.

Houses built in "northern semiphere" to be in NS/SN orientation(allows wind flows from N to S, or S to N)have scientific bearing. The facing is regarded in such a way that there is/are door/windows facing N or S, to allow wind flow during days & night. However, nowaday's building structure has complicated this principle, and get ppl confused which is which.

If you've read my postings in "Sun, Earth, Moon" thread, you'll understand earth self-spin CCW but axis tiles 23.5 degress which causes 4 seasons in a year. And how the wind is created during these seasons(diff season diff wind direction). S'pore's latitude is 1deg 20 minute N.

I m confused... isn't it the same for all flats where gate will swing out & door swings in? My main door is also located at the extreme end of the wall. I also don't understand what u meant by the hinge fixed at the fright of the frame - all flat owners have 2 frames: door & gate. Ur right - right when u r standing inside ur home or outside?

Both my gate & door r fixed at the right side of their respective frames (from the inside of my flat). But gate still swings out & door still swings into the flat. My gate also has 1 single panel only but tilted at an angle.

I m confused... isn't it the same for all flats where gate will swing out & door swings in? My main door is also located at the extreme end of the wall. I also don't understand what u meant by the hinge fixed at the fright of the frame - all flat owners have 2 frames: door & gate. Ur right - right when u r standing inside ur home or outside?

Both my gate & door r fixed at the right side of their respective frames (from the inside of my flat). But gate still swings out & door still swings into the flat. My gate also has 1 single panel only but tilted at an angle.

Look like I need to brush up my language. Picture speaks a thousand words. Contractor at first fixed the gate the other way round. I did not realise the problem, I asked them to walk from lift towards door with gate swing first way out. They immediately removed and bring back with the present one.

http://a.imageshack.us/img38/1526/welcomehomec.jpg

Edited by bepgof

My gate also has 1 single panel only but tilted at an angle.

Did you measure if it is 5.625 degree? Or 11.25 degress?

Edited by bepgof

Did you measure if it is 5.625 degree? Or 11.25 degress?

The FS master told us to make sure the gate is skewed from the hinges (at the pivot point) by 1" to 2" and must be single panel & opening on the same side as the main door. We chose the maximum 2". His recommendation was 10 years ago but we only implemented it now because what he had predicted 10 yrs ago turned out true.

How to measure how many degrees? shame shame shame on me because I forgot all about secondary school maths :P

But for sure the handle of both door & gate is on the same side because the purpose is for the tilted gate to over-write the main door so that we don't slam into the neighbr's "墙角".

The FS master told us to make sure the gate is skewed from the hinges (at the pivot point) by 1" to 2" and must be single panel & opening on the same side as the main door. We chose the maximum 2". His recommendation was 10 years ago but we only implemented it now because what he had predicted 10 yrs ago turned out true.

How to measure how many degrees? shame shame shame on me because I forgot all about secondary school maths :P

But for sure the handle of both door & gate is on the same side because the purpose is for the tilted gate to over-write the main door so that we don't slam into the neighbr's "墙角".

If really were to tile, is the door door, not the gate. If door comes with gate, then it is better two of then tile at same time.

Master did not explain reason of tilting, or you did not ask?.

My 3rd brother tilted his door & gate years ago (before 1993), then only yesterday I called him asked for the reason, then he told me: door's location (not facing)not in "favorable" trigram location of the 64 hexagram. He even told me he shifted 5.625 degree, "to compensate it". It refers to his bazi. He told me his fixed a string horizontally across old door frame. Make another string horizontally acorss new door frame. Get angular ruler ( 2 rulers rivoted, with 360 deg angle indication) measure & adjust to that required angle. He told me quite in detailed that he need to shift 1 trigram only (360/64), some ppl may need to shift more......

If really were to tile, is the door door, not the gate. If door comes with gate, then it is better two of then tile at same time.

Master did not explain reason of tilting, or you did not ask?.

My 3rd brother tilted his door & gate years ago (before 1993), then only yesterday I called him asked for the reason, then he told me: door's location (not facing)not in "favorable" trigram location of the 64 hexagram. He even told me he shifted 5.625 degree, "to compensate it". It refers to his bazi. He told me his fixed a string horizontally across old door frame. Make another string horizontally acorss new door frame. Get angular ruler ( 2 rulers rivoted, with 360 deg angle indication) measure & adjust to that required angle. He told me quite in detailed that he need to shift 1 trigram only (360/64), some ppl may need to shift more......

The FSM did explain that the tilting is a must because we slammed into the neighbr's "corner" at the opening of the door (duno whether this makes sense to u or not). When we stand inside the flat & look out from the main door entrance, we see abit of our neighbour's door. Our flats are diagonally across each other & there is abit of overlapping of units. So when my inlaws came to our flat, they said we were stupid to buy this type of flats - according to them, it's unlucky because got blockage.

We've already got floor tiles (ceramic tiles but very high-shine & good quality type) when the FS master audited the first time 10 yrs ago. So if we were to tilt the door frame, then our floor tiles will be destroyed... my flooring at the entrance liao liao leh...

wow the measurement part is so "cheem". I will try to measure but maybe i'll end up ... confused :dunno: