Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Ris

Where to get lightings?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Does anybody know if lightings bought from USA can be used in Singapore? USA's voltage standard is 120v while Singapore is 230v. From my understanding, we'll need a step-up converter. But how to attach the converter to the lightings huh? Will the electrician know? :dribble:

W to Crown Lighting last week at 600 Geylang (ard Lor 34). The Boss, Davis is very knowledgeable in lighting trades. He even demonstrate what is meant by actual good quality light starter and those cheapo ones recommended by other lighting shops.

Overall, bought someclightings from him with some warranty parts covered. Had a good and long conversation with him. You guys can consider his shop cos' his lightings are good quality and will never cheat on you. Price also very reasonable.

If you have any lightings in mind, can also tell him. He will try to source for you.

Edited by flyersummer

Just bought some lights at Geylang. Went to over 10 shops but only one shop quoted me a good price. Do check out Number One Lighting & Ceiling Fan. Look for Peter or Sally. It is at 673, Geylang Road near Lor 35. You can also call them at 67496636. Tell them you were recommended by Mr Kuo on the internet. Promised them that I will recommend them on the internet as they were very helpful.

Was at Palace of Lights yesterday and saw they got some of those classic looking lamps (at least to me it seems classic). Price is reasonable and very friendly with good recommendations. Speak to Steven. They are at Balestier Crescent Building. Got all our lights and fans from them and this Thur installation.

Thanks Keltong :good:

have been shopping for lights for 2 weekends and ended up buying all my lights and fan at Palace of lights after reading your post.

Spoke to Steven. He is good in providing practical recommendations which is what we appreciate cos we have been seeing so many lights that dunno how to choose.

I spent $1300 for all my lights and 4 ceiling fans. :yamseng:

Thanks Keltong :good:

have been shopping for lights for 2 weekends and ended up buying all my lights and fan at Palace of lights after reading your post.

Spoke to Steven. He is good in providing practical recommendations which is what we appreciate cos we have been seeing so many lights that dunno how to choose.

I spent $1300 for all my lights and 4 ceiling fans. :yamseng:

$1300 for all your lights and ceiling fans sound very reasonable. What did you buy exactly?

I also recently spent about $1300 from a shop at Geylang and bought the following :

1 x ceiling fan with light kit

1 x hanging lamp (foyer)

1 x hanging lamp (corridor)

3 x ceiling lights (bomb shelter & 2 toilets)

1 x ceiling light (children's room)

1 x ceiling light (study room)

1 x Joven heater

i bought lightings for the whole house from 168 Trading; including 3 ceiling fans and the total bill comes up to $2.4k....

$1300 for all your lights and ceiling fans sound very reasonable. What did you buy exactly?

I also recently spent about $1300 from a shop at Geylang and bought the following :

1 x ceiling fan with light kit

1 x hanging lamp (foyer)

1 x hanging lamp (corridor)

3 x ceiling lights (bomb shelter & 2 toilets)

1 x ceiling light (children's room)

1 x ceiling light (study room)

1 x Joven heater

$1300 for the following:

1 x living room amasco 56" fan with 4 bulbs & remote control

3 x bedroom amasco 3-blade 50" fan with light and remote control

1 x dining area light

1 x store room

1 x service yard

1 x kitchen

2 x toilet light

2 x hallway to bedroom lights

exclude installation cost

no gst

so angry, :furious: bought lights from a shop at balestier. On the day of installation, one of the 3 PLL already flicked too long before the light came on...about 5 days later...it died. Swop around those working works. yep, confirm it died so i buy a new and branded one. So i though, quality of PLL given is no good.

5 days later, half of the halogen bulbs not working, did not light up. Tony from Edison Lighting is kind enough to give new branded light bulbs. Went back home to change, the area that did not light up still did not light up, swop around with other lighted up area to check if bulb problem or light prob. Confirm light prob.

Call back again, a older guy (not Tony), after consulting his supplier, suggest transformer problem, told me to buy one small transformer from his shop. Or i could dismantle the lights so that he could give to his supplier to check, something like a warranty. i barely install it for 3 weeks.

But his attitude and service is terrible. 8| Sounding like a know-it-all, you-din-pay-me-to-install, i-am-experienced-dun-ketok-me kind of tone & it is totally-not-my-fault. I know they cant change it the whole light for me, but at least a nice tone to convince me that it could be manufacturer fault and no choice i got to buy transformer. The light is less than one month already faced with prob, why cant admit the quality is bad. When some things are spoilt, they are quick to ask owner to change this, buy that. Cant they just come and take a look as a service.

Since the spare parts is readily available everywhere since all sell the same thing, i dun see any need to buy the parts from them at all. Or i could just leave the spoilt lights alone as an advert to guests coming to my house.

Edited by ahjane

I've recently seen an ad in ST on a lighting warehouse sale at Eunos Warehouse 3. The prices look really attractive eg hanging lamps and ceiling lamps from $9, wall lamps from $5 etc. Has anybody gone for the sale? Appreciate if you could share on the quality/variety of lightings available and very importantly, the service provided.

For those who are interested, the locations are as follows :

Kaki Bukit Road 2

#01-08A (opp Geely Showroom)

10am - 9pm

167 Geyland Road (main road, Lor 3)

#01-01

11am - 8.30pm

Went down to this 'clearance sale' warehouse last Sat. Nothing much of interest but my friend did like one hanging light. Quoted price was $190 but after discount was $140. Did not buy as we wanted to look at other shops. Next day saw the exact same light Vin Lighting at Jln Berseh and was quoted at $65 ! And this before bargaining. Found the owner, Richard, to be extremely helpful and knowledgeable and prices at his shop are reasonable. Bought 2 hanging lights and 2 ceiling lights and 2 wall fans from here. I recommend his shop and services for those looking for lights, heater, fan, etc.

Does anybody know if lightings bought from USA can be used in Singapore? USA's voltage standard is 120v while Singapore is 230v. From my understanding, we'll need a step-up converter. But how to attach the converter to the lightings huh? Will the electrician know? :dunno:

Err.. in fact u'll need a step-down transformer 240VAC to 110VAC.. i used to want to do dat but dun think it's worthwhile to hv a transformer inbtwn a USA lamp .. take up space & waste electricity too!

any case if u r still keen u can source ard sim lim tower for one, probably cost ard 100 bucks or so depending on your electric apps power rating.

Just bought some lights at Geylang. Went to over 10 shops but only one shop quoted me a good price. Do check out Number One Lighting & Ceiling Fan. Look for Peter or Sally. It is at 673, Geylang Road near Lor 35. You can also call them at 67496636. Tell them you were recommended by Mr Kuo on the internet. Promised them that I will recommend them on the internet as they were very helpful.

Hi all,

I'm one happy customer from Number One Lighting!! Our contractor brought us there today.. Although it is a small shop, but i can say that.. their prices are great! Service is superb!! Sally attended to us.. Told us that she will deliver the lights to us 2moro.. as we are abit rush on our reno.. keke.. Gave us discount.. No GST.. Can even ask for doorbell FOC!! haha.. Was juz trying out.. and got it!! :P

Highly Recommended!! :D

hi im hunting for downlights for me place too...so far looked at round downlights, 1-2 tubes with or without cover. Discovered most of the designs very standard - if not identical. i suspect same supplier, different shop only. and from observation, the shops make their money from varying the kind of balast and bulb packaged with the light fixture.

the round ones we were looking at come in small-med-large size

so far been hunting around to see the prices, have not bought any yet..have not had any good experience with the light shops that i've encountered so far, so i'm really looking for a good place to go and get my lights at a better price than i've found so far if anyone can give a sincere recommendation?

what i've encountered so far (the good, the bad, but mostly ugly):

1. balestier -

so far the cheapest we found was $28 per set for the LARGE size downlight (ie; two tubes with cover). comes with "echo" australian ballast and osram bulb - before bargaining. the guy just gave us his name card, and told us to think about it , i think hes used to ppl shopping for prices. if i cannot find any better deal, i will probably go back to this one, at least he is upfront about the price and the ballast, no need to probe so much :P

on average, quoted $30 at other shops.

most expensive at balestier was from lumiere - $37+++. Ask if possible to be cheaper, the person tell us told us flat out - "no cannot. no one will give you cheaper". so confident lei! maybe because it's lumiere, his was actually the real deal, no the pirated-imitation kind. whether or not it is, i can only comment that the external view of the fixture looks similar to the $30 ones we kept on seeing at the other shops. then perhaps, I am not his target market. nevermind lo, we are also looking for dining table light. So we look started to look around but quickly realised that the sales man was letting us browse in the dark. in other shops, the sales ppl are quick and willing to show us the lights, switch them on, ask us what we're looking for etc. This fella, dont bother to on the lights at all, and let us stand in the dark - even though we are not the last customer - another lady was still being attended to (her light was switched on hahahahaha) ...and then suddenly i feel like i need to walk out. what to make of it, i donno :)

2. BH in Tampines - heard about this place from renotalk, now i think is maybe the owner herself/himself post it one. same size LARGE size downlight, same design as described above, quoted $55. (unit price given to me only after i pressure for an answer) but if i buy A LOT (ie more than 20), they give me good price - $30 with some funny brand bulb. when asked about the specs of the downlight, even something as simple as dimensions, they are unable to answer. i told them i need to tell my contractor what size fixture we're looking at, in the end she ask me to use my eyes to estimate. I ask what kind of light bulb they give, sales girl says white light. I say, i know white, but what brand? again she keeps saying white light, warm light, cool light...until finally she says "leona" lightbulb.

Smallest size downlight, quoted $30 (10w round light).

3. Chelsea lights and the other shops next to it:

Smallest size downlight described in pt 2 (10w kind), quoted $15 with osram bulb. (BH quoted me $30, exactly the same design, with leona bulb)

biggest size one $30-35.

thats it for now from jurong to tampines - cheapest big downlight (double bulb, biggest round downlight with glass lid for $28) in Balestier...and find it hard to believe that balestier is the cheapest so far! maybe i will try geylang next time.

hope my experience is useful info, just take my comments with a pinch of salt because maybe i am too impatient to deal with the shops. :)