Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
bluewater

Our Home @ Holland

Hi Blue: I quite like the brown swivel chair inside your living room - where did u buy it and how much? Last night visited Labrador furniture mall n still couldnt find our sofa. We saw 1 L-shaped leather sofa but it is too big for us...we cannot take more than 8ft but it is 8.5ft....sianzzzzzzzz...if not, the colour is nice and match my living room...well, too bad! Will have to go somewhere else to look out - maybe will visit Beach Rd furniture mall.....

Sis, bought the sofa from LUSH @ 2k odd. Sourcing one which we love both it's look and price takes time. Happy hunting :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Sis, bought the sofa from LUSH @ 2k odd. Sourcing one which we love both it's look and price takes time. Happy hunting :)

I am not asking about your LUSH sofa but the brown single swivel chair....I may consider to get one too.... :)

Blue or anyone can assist or teach me how do I improve on the grouting of my kitchen floor tiles? After Edmund has done acid cleaning, the grouting of the tiles has become darker in colour and looks so ugly in black cement. Can I use white cement to make it nicer? Pls help!!!

:(

I am not asking about your LUSH sofa but the brown single swivel chair....I may consider to get one too.... :)

Oh, that costs $500+ after discount.

Blue or anyone can assist or teach me how do I improve on the grouting of my kitchen floor tiles? After Edmund has done acid cleaning, the grouting of the tiles has become darker in colour and looks so ugly in black cement. Can I use white cement to make it nicer? Pls help!!!

:(

If the darkening in color is not due to staining, then it could be that HDB may have done a lousy job when they grout your tile joint lines... Could the acid washing have removed the grouting unknowingly? I'm not sure though.

For my tiling, after acid wash by Edmund's workers after completion, the grouting did not change color like your case. Probably, consider to do the grouting again? Can DIY if you wish to save $.

If the darkening in color is not due to staining, then it could be that HDB may have done a lousy job when they grout your tile joint lines... Could the acid washing have removed the grouting unknowingly? I'm not sure though.

This is what we suspected too as even Edmund did a cleaning it shouldnt appear like that....got to check with HDB on this n will get them to come up to view.....

For my tiling, after acid wash by Edmund's workers after completion, the grouting did not change color like your case. Probably, consider to do the grouting again? Can DIY if you wish to save $.

How do we DIY? Do you know how?

Sis,

I strongly believe that the initial tile grouting done by P@D is of shoddy job, which causes the black cement to be seen after acid wash. Regular mopping over time will also do similar damage eventually. In this aspect, I personally felt that it's either (1) owner will pay for grouting job to be done, or (2) contractor does it for you OUT OF GOOD WILL.

To DIY- Get grouting powder (colors to choose from)... mix it proportionally with water, followed by application on the joint lines. Wipe off excess to achieve an even line & allow it to dry overnight.

As for the varnishing, you may want to check if polishing was done after the varnish coat. Most probably, polish was not done yet, which causes the second varnish coat application to wrinkle since you already have an initial coat on previously.

For my place, I do encounter hiccups, like you do & as what I've stated in my end of reno review, with Edmund & I felt those are not "end-of-the-world" problems, which are not solvable. I am rather taken aback by your reaction as to me, no renovation will sail 100% perfectly. For the price vis-a-vis workmanship, I think it's a decent deal afterall. That's why all along I have told you to source out others for comparison with the same wish items in place.

Sis,

I strongly believe that the initial tile grouting done by P@D is of shoddy job, which causes the black cement to be seen after acid wash. Regular mopping over time will also do similar damage eventually. In this aspect, I personally felt that it's either (1) owner will pay for grouting job to be done, or (2) contractor does it for you OUT OF GOOD WILL.

To DIY- Get grouting powder (colors to choose from)... mix it proportionally with water, followed by application on the joint lines. Wipe off excess to achieve an even line & allow it to dry overnight.

As for the varnishing, you may want to check if polishing was done after the varnish coat. Most probably, polish was not done yet, which causes the second varnish coat application to wrinkle since you already have an initial coat on previously.

For my place, I do encounter hiccups, like you do & as what I've stated in my end of reno review, with Edmund & I felt those are not "end-of-the-world" problems, which are not solvable. I am rather taken aback by your reaction as to me, no renovation will sail 100% perfectly. For the price vis-a-vis workmanship, I think it's a decent deal afterall. That's why all along I have told you to source out others for comparison with the same wish items in place.

I just got to know from HB that the workers didnt polish it earlier and they just apply another coat to it which resulted to wrinkles n more wrinkles around all the bedrooms which is no fault of us. Anyway, they are doing polishing now and will varnish later this afternoon.

Well, I have never mentioned that Edmund workmanship is no good but always give credits to his carpenters on their good workmanship! It is at the end of this project that Edmund tone is being harsh and I believe he has too many projects that he cant handle/managed. Anyway, since it is coming to an end soon we will try to sort things out nicely with him. I have never blame you for recommending Edmund to me but just seek your assistance at times.

Anyway, thank you!

Hi KSJL,

If you want to DIY, I think you can get those cement/ grout powder from your contractor. Shouldn't be a problem. I think the tiler / painter will be able to teach you how to mix them to apply. For us, our contractor left us some incase we want to DIY in future.

For your grouting, Im not sure if its the HDB whose grouting wasn't done properly in the 1st place or is it the acid wash issue. We redo our flooring and the grouting stay intact after the acid wash. After the acidwash and when the carpentry are 80-90%, our tiler came by to check if anyone 'dirt' the grout during their works and to rectify those affected grouting (ie. for those suppose to be white grouts, there are some black spot on the line, so he fill them back with the white powder mixture).

There are some blogs which I read before, most tilers will return to 'refill' the grouts after acid wash when its around handover. We visited one of the forumer's place when she was doing Handover that day and the tiler was around to check her living room tiles grouts and filling those affected grouts.

Thanks Blue and Rasp for the good advice and let's see how I am going to move on with this....already spoke to HDB and see whether they can assist on this since their job is horrible! If not, will DIY but then our suspended cabinet already up and wonder how to do at the underneath of the cabinet...anyway, see how it goes lah......renovation really headache!!!!!!

Sis,

How did you know that it is their fault that they didnt polish first before varnish which resulted to wrinkles ah????? U going to become contractor liao is it? hahhahaha

How did you know that it is their fault that they didnt polish first before varnish which resulted to wrinkles ah????? U going to become contractor liao is it? hahhahaha

varnishing doesn't cause wrinkles.. unless you put way too much varnish :P usually it's the problem with the polishing before the varnish.

Yeah jonana... we love the Magis stools at first sight... During the hunt, we saw so many types of bar stools, but just have the Magis in our heart. No choice but to bite our teeth to get the original one as the replicas we saw are poorly made to last...

The fan is FOC as I've redeemed for it with my reward points @ Caltex, which was selling @ $99 for it at that time. Best Denki has this 3-head model now cos' I just saw it @ Vivo Branch earlier ;)

thks bro,

will make a trip down to have a look....

Blue: today Jason did my frosted film onto my windows n service yard door and the workmanship is really good! Really soooooooooooooo pleased with his workmanship...thanks sooooooooooo much recommending Jason to me....appreciate!!!!! :D

My re-do parquet also very nice now......

Finally the whole renovation is completed and tomorrow Citygas coming over to fix up the gas pipe and I can start my cooking already....

Last but not least, I must thank you and the fellow RT forumers for many advices here. It is good to read comments/feedbacks here on all renovation stuff and ppl here are willing to give advices. Anyway, be it I have earlier issues/hiccups with Edmund, I must still thank him for doing my place nicely with good workmanship. Though at times his tone is harsh (could be due to highly stress up) to us but overall he still produces good result. I'm glad that my renovation has come to an end and I can move in soon though I would still need more time to find a good sofa and more furnishing later.

Thanks all!

Blue: today Jason did my frosted film onto my windows n service yard door and the workmanship is really good! Really soooooooooooooo pleased with his workmanship...thanks sooooooooooo much recommending Jason to me....appreciate!!!!! :D

My re-do parquet also very nice now......

Finally the whole renovation is completed and tomorrow Citygas coming over to fix up the gas pipe and I can start my cooking already....

Last but not least, I must thank you and the fellow RT forumers for many advices here. It is good to read comments/feedbacks here on all renovation stuff and ppl here are willing to give advices. Anyway, be it I have earlier issues/hiccups with Edmund, I must still thank him for doing my place nicely with good workmanship. Though at times his tone is harsh (could be due to highly stress up) to us but overall he still produces good result. I'm glad that my renovation has come to an end and I can move in soon though I would still need more time to find a good sofa and more furnishing later.

Thanks all!

Sis, I'm happy for you that the strong tide is finally over... Enjoy moving in now.... :sport-smiley-004::sport-smiley-004: