Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
cacabi111

Hdb 99 Year Lease Expiry

Hi people,

does anyone know what really happens after lease expiry for HDB flats at 99 years?

If renewal of lease, if i were to leave my flat for my children next time ....and by lease expiry my flat is worth 800k, any idea what kind of price they will need to pay to renew lease? (maybe like 50% of 800K just to renew lease?) Sorry m guessing here, does anyone have clearer idea?

And what if HDB dun wan to renew the lease after 99 years....do they need to offer any compensation at all?

Or maybe just offer a slight subsidy from new flats that they are building?

Thanks!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

so far most flats >30 years get en-bloc very quickly. i doubt the government will be willing to spend the $ to maintain old flats. might as well en-bloc them. build new ones. and earn more $ out of them

that's not very true. many flats well into their 30s are still not enbloc yet. gov wouldn't just enbloc due to age alone.

Edited by looneygas

The interesting thing is that the market used to assume that the government would top up leases for sites to 99 years as they came up for redevelopment. A series of recent decisions in which the authorities either declined lease top-ups or allowed them, but for shorter tenures - have put a big question mark over that assumption.

The recent decisions appear to run contrary to the perception that the government would generally agree to top up leases of such sites to the original 99 years, so long as the planned redevelopment scheme is in sync with URA's long-term vision for the area.

Singapore Land Authority (SLA) said: 'The government will generally allow leases to expire, without extension.' It noted that 'the state generally sells land on leasehold to allow it the flexibility to reallocate land to meet socio-economic needs.'

Bottomline, if the lease do expires u'll be left with nothing.

Correct ! You will be left with nothing ( no compensation from any party)when lease expired and occupants may have to pay "demolish cost".

This is a good question and our next generation/ most of population will face it. My personal view:

- Basic structures able to last 99 year = steels rod in cement. ceiling/wall cements will chip off from time to time.

- Electrical wiring (up and down stream), insulation of cables, with local climate and direct exposore to air with vertical/horizontal running in tray- about 50 years. This is a serious issue to look into, if not when time comes, many cases of fires due to s/c cos of insulation breakdown.

- PVC piles, 100 years over, so long as no constant strong UV light exposure.

- Believed, government must have studied other countries' building/structure/material usage, etc..

Hi people,

does anyone know what really happens after lease expiry for HDB flats at 99 years?

If renewal of lease, if i were to leave my flat for my children next time ....and by lease expiry my flat is worth 800k, any idea what kind of price they will need to pay to renew lease? (maybe like 50% of 800K just to renew lease?) Sorry m guessing here, does anyone have clearer idea?

And what if HDB dun wan to renew the lease after 99 years....do they need to offer any compensation at all?

Or maybe just offer a slight subsidy from new flats that they are building?

Thanks!

There is no one who knows what REALLY happens... mainly because HDB hasn't been around 99 years yet.

We can tell you contractually what rights HDB has... After 99 years, the land reverts back to HDB. Simple as that.

Contractually, there's no compensation required. A lease is nothing more than long term rental, and when 99 years is up, your rental is over and they can kick you out.

If they offer renewal, they'll set any price they like-- nothing to do with your flat value.