Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
seashell

Opennet Cable Installation

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hmm, saw this too. Simon, at least you still got a few years to enjoy your nice nice hse... mine hor will be done next yr ard Mar - Jun... that means I have <6 months before seeing ugly trunking running ard the house :~

This is the reply from OpenNet staff on the guidelines:

Attached are some suggestions on general guidelines which may be helpful to home owners who may be doing some renovations works within the Home.

1. Designate a Location:

(i) Designate a particular location, such as a designated closet, where all the telecommunication facilities can be installed within. This will facilitate connections and ensure that the installation can be performed presentably & neatly.

2. Ensure “Conduit or Path” To The Designated Location So That Fibre Can Be Installed

For Condominiums / HDBs / High Rise Residential Homes

(ii) Ensure or cater for an empty 20mm uPVC conduit or PVC trunking compartment to the above location (eg. The closet). The conduit should be installed in straight runs or be able to accommodate bending radius of the central line of the conduit not less than 100mm.

(iii) A draw rope shall be provided in the empty conduit so that the fibre cable can be installed subsequently.

For Landed Homes

Ensure 1 empty 50mm diamerter uPVC continuous lead-in and underground pipe to be provided from 1m beyond the roadside drain to the designated location.

Ensure that there is a draw rope in the empty conduit so that the fibre cable can be installed subsequently.

This will facilitate the installation of fibre into the home & near points of connection.

3. Ensure Accessories At The Designated Location Is Catered For

(iv) Install twin 13A power point/socket at the designated location (eg. Within the closet), so as to provide power to any equipment.

(v) Install RJ45 patch panel. No. of ports should be greater than the no. of rooms of units .

4. Internal Wiring / Cabling

(vi) Owners are encouraged to install Cat 6 cables for internal cabling from the patch panel to all rooms. This will ensure internal cabling connectivity.

Its important to note that Unshielded Twisted Pair (Cat 6) cables should not exceed 100m runs from the RJ45 patch panel to the RJ45 wall outlet.

Regards

The OpenNet Team

This is the reply from OpenNet staff on the guidelines:

Attached are some suggestions on general guidelines which may be helpful to home owners who may be doing some renovations works within the Home.

1. Designate a Location:

(i) Designate a particular location, such as a designated closet, where all the telecommunication facilities can be installed within. This will facilitate connections and ensure that the installation can be performed presentably & neatly.

2. Ensure “Conduit or Path” To The Designated Location So That Fibre Can Be Installed

For Condominiums / HDBs / High Rise Residential Homes

(ii) Ensure or cater for an empty 20mm uPVC conduit or PVC trunking compartment to the above location (eg. The closet). The conduit should be installed in straight runs or be able to accommodate bending radius of the central line of the conduit not less than 100mm.

(iii) A draw rope shall be provided in the empty conduit so that the fibre cable can be installed subsequently.

For Landed Homes

Ensure 1 empty 50mm diamerter uPVC continuous lead-in and underground pipe to be provided from 1m beyond the roadside drain to the designated location.

Ensure that there is a draw rope in the empty conduit so that the fibre cable can be installed subsequently.

This will facilitate the installation of fibre into the home & near points of connection.

3. Ensure Accessories At The Designated Location Is Catered For

(iv) Install twin 13A power point/socket at the designated location (eg. Within the closet), so as to provide power to any equipment.

(v) Install RJ45 patch panel. No. of ports should be greater than the no. of rooms of units .

4. Internal Wiring / Cabling

(vi) Owners are encouraged to install Cat 6 cables for internal cabling from the patch panel to all rooms. This will ensure internal cabling connectivity.

Its important to note that Unshielded Twisted Pair (Cat 6) cables should not exceed 100m runs from the RJ45 patch panel to the RJ45 wall outlet.

Regards

The OpenNet Team

thanks alot...

from friends comments n etc... this is not a compulsory thing to install... if don't install, we still can use starhub or mio tv... using those boxes..

my house got many beams so practically also cannot hide the trunking....

wah u understand ar ... me totally blur ...

aiya ppl post info must thanks mah..but hor understand abit lah..

summarized:

choose a location where tv and power points are consolidated so that its easier, that if need to reno ask electrician to use larger trunk in order to allow for it to pass thru (or something like that lor), then have enough power point and consider where u want ur internet ports to be and to use cat 6 cables.

hope i didnt get it wrong.. lol

aiya ppl post info must thanks mah..but hor understand abit lah..

summarized:

choose a location where tv and power points are consolidated so that its easier, that if need to reno ask electrician to use larger trunk in order to allow for it to pass thru (or something like that lor), then have enough power point and consider where u want ur internet ports to be and to use cat 6 cables.

hope i didnt get it wrong.. lol

oh ... ... zhun bo ... dun anyhow aga aga ... later provide wrong info ... phahhaa :P

oh ... ... zhun bo ... dun anyhow aga aga ... later provide wrong info ... phahhaa :P

should be bah haha... going to ask my electrician more next week

Oh no,

I went to see the website opennet.. u can see how the fibre is run from the riser to ur main door to ur tv.. oh oh..

I think for me, the trunking will surely be visible.. cos i dont intend to renov my L box ceiling.. =(

Man, I'm so glad I found out about this.

Will talk to my ID about the ceiling plan tomorrow, but I suspect that if I want to stay in budget, we have to continue as planned.

Anyway, if they do the trunking nicely, you don't really notice it.

Really useful and just in time !!

Will inform my electrician to make provision for this. I think I will be getting the network next June.

Better to be prepared.

Is the Cat 6 cable really necessary? I will have to rewire my house network it seems. Last time they used Cat 5

Really useful and just in time !!

Will inform my electrician to make provision for this. I think I will be getting the network next June.

Better to be prepared.

Is the Cat 6 cable really necessary? I will have to rewire my house network it seems. Last time they used Cat 5

Cat 6 would be better but Cat 5e should be sufficient.