Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
seashell

Opennet Cable Installation

anyone with suspensed TV console and hidden trunking had the above fixed? able to show how they go around fixing it? Thanks.

My SCV point and trunking are hidden inside wall and console. :bangwall:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I did mine already

my Id suggest that the wiring goes into the false ceiling and then goes into the trunking down the wall to the centre of the wall near the other sockets.

hole was cut into the false ceiling for the entry of the fiber cable

after that the false ceiling was seal up again.

I did mine already

my Id suggest that the wiring goes into the false ceiling and then goes into the trunking down the wall to the centre of the wall near the other sockets.

Problem for me is that my reno all done... did not think of this. Actually i dun mind a trunking from ceiling to suspend console but then if they have to go thru scv point(mine is hidden in console) then problem liao...don't tell me need to do a hole in console.. :(

Problem for me is that my reno all done... did not think of this. Actually i dun mind a trunking from ceiling to suspend console but then if they have to go thru scv point(mine is hidden in console) then problem liao...don't tell me need to do a hole in console.. :(

erm means you need to cut another hole within your console?

thats a big headache then.

alternatively put it at a corner or the wall and till the day the point is going to be use then see how. or if its just a wire its not that bad also

I did mine already

Thanks for all the info guys!

I'm planning to renovate my new resale flat after CNY so all these information will definitely come in handy, as I was planning to lay network cables for my whole flat.

When I was stationed overseas I installed FTTH for my office and the fibre cables are actually very stiff and I was under the impression that they cannot be bent/twisted.

Is this also the case for opennet's cables? Can we actually run the fibre cables via a few right angles without breaking the cable/affecting the quality of the data connection?

Can anyone advise?

Thanks for all the info guys!

I'm planning to renovate my new resale flat after CNY so all these information will definitely come in handy, as I was planning to lay network cables for my whole flat.

When I was stationed overseas I installed FTTH for my office and the fibre cables are actually very stiff and I was under the impression that they cannot be bent/twisted.

Is this also the case for opennet's cables? Can we actually run the fibre cables via a few right angles without breaking the cable/affecting the quality of the data connection?

Can anyone advise?

Hi Stryke,

I am not sure whether it will break the cable or affect the quality. But for my case, I have 4 right angles before it will reach my designated location for the opennet. My ID checked with his few electricians regarding this and was strictly advised that normal conduit plus bending radius of 10cm (minimum) for 90 degree bend is not sufficient. 1st right angle will be okie. When it comes to the 2nd one, it will get stiffer to bend. By the time it get to the 4th right angle, it will be very hard to bend and secure. For my case, the solution is to run the cable through my capentry work freely. Hard to elaborate on the solution in words but when my carpentry for my living areas are done, I will post more info regarding this.

erm means you need to cut another hole within your console?

thats a big headache then.

alternatively put it at a corner or the wall and till the day the point is going to be use then see how. or if its just a wire its not that bad also

That's what worrying me. :bangwall: I dun mind having it behind TV or by the side of the console, but if they insist only can go through same trunking as SCV point... I think I give up installing, and if it is the only source to outside world, internet/TV in future... I think I got to isolate myself from the whole world.... that is good bye AF/HWZ/renotalk liao :P

Edited by jtec14

Hi Stryke,

I am not sure whether it will break the cable or affect the quality. But for my case, I have 4 right angles before it will reach my designated location for the opennet. My ID checked with his few electricians regarding this and was strictly advised that normal conduit plus bending radius of 10cm (minimum) for 90 degree bend is not sufficient. 1st right angle will be okie. When it comes to the 2nd one, it will get stiffer to bend. By the time it get to the 4th right angle, it will be very hard to bend and secure. For my case, the solution is to run the cable through my capentry work freely. Hard to elaborate on the solution in words but when my carpentry for my living areas are done, I will post more info regarding this.

Thanks Mickey for the reply.

I am actually planning to install a 16 port switch/hub in my storeroom, where the router and SCV box will be (for M1 BB). From there I will connect and lay ethernet cables to the rest of the rooms, terminated with RJ45 faceplates. The FTTH installation for my block is estimated to be between Mar 2010 and May 2010, and my reno is estimated to start after Feb. My storeroom is along the corridor so I reckon it should be quite safe. The fibre cable can be laid along the corridor and then through the wall into the store I assume. I will plan for a slot for the fibre termination box... alongside the SCV box and power sockets....... have to discuss with my ID and electrician once layout of flat is confirmed.

Now thinking if I should get just a GB switch/hub or a patch panel, which can be configured to include telephone line routing and even CTV routing, besides the RJ45 connections...

Thanks Mickey for the reply.

I am actually planning to install a 16 port switch/hub in my storeroom, where the router and SCV box will be (for M1 BB). From there I will connect and lay ethernet cables to the rest of the rooms, terminated with RJ45 faceplates. The FTTH installation for my block is estimated to be between Mar 2010 and May 2010, and my reno is estimated to start after Feb. My storeroom is along the corridor so I reckon it should be quite safe. The fibre cable can be laid along the corridor and then through the wall into the store I assume. I will plan for a slot for the fibre termination box... alongside the SCV box and power sockets....... have to discuss with my ID and electrician once layout of flat is confirmed.

Now thinking if I should get just a GB switch/hub or a patch panel, which can be configured to include telephone line routing and even CTV routing, besides the RJ45 connections...

Hi Stryke, how much is it to wire up your house? I'm having a headache with the lighting cost from my electrician, so not sure what they will say about ethernet cabling!

That's what worrying me. :bangwall: I dun mind having it behind TV or by the side of the console, but if they insist only can go through same trunking as SCV point... I think I give up installing, and if it is the only source to outside world, internet/TV in future... I think I got to isolate myself from the whole world.... that is good bye AF/HWZ/renotalk liao :P

haha not so jialat lah. wireless broadband lo.

you can always get them to do a individual trunking for the fibre. they only use your existing one to prevent more trunking being done

dear all,

need some advice how to go about doing this...apparantly the installation in the block will be in Feb but i will only get the keys in March and the flat design hasnt been confirmed yet...

so what should i do? just get them to install and move the points later? i read that the initial installation costs are free right?

Hi Stryke, how much is it to wire up your house? I'm having a headache with the lighting cost from my electrician, so not sure what they will say about ethernet cabling!

No sure how much to wire the house cos haven't confirmed the which ID i'm using. I do know that a Legrand Cat6 2 gang RJ45 faceplate will cost about 30+. 1m of Belden CAT6 UTP cable is in the region of $1.20 - $1.50.... Kronn I was quoted $1.20 IIRC. For installation labour costs, expect it to be double that of normal light switch as the electrician needs to terminate the cables and its more complicate than the 3 cables for powerlines.. they also have to test the connections after installation.

Hope that helped.

No sure how much to wire the house cos haven't confirmed the which ID i'm using. I do know that a Legrand Cat6 2 gang RJ45 faceplate will cost about 30+. 1m of Belden CAT6 UTP cable is in the region of $1.20 - $1.50.... Kronn I was quoted $1.20 IIRC. For installation labour costs, expect it to be double that of normal light switch as the electrician needs to terminate the cables and its more complicate than the 3 cables for powerlines.. they also have to test the connections after installation.

Hope that helped.

OK, thanks. At least it gives an indication. Now I need to find an electrician...

OK, thanks. At least it gives an indication. Now I need to find an electrician...

I need to rewire an existing HDB to have more LAN points - and also use this opportunity to factor in the OpenNet installation.

Need a contact for doing this if anyone has good lobangs.

Thanks.

PS. Currently, I have two SCV points (one in master bedroom, and other in living room). In new set up, I need LAN points in each room (4), and in living/dining area (3). I assume I need to get a patch or switch in storeroom for all termination points (?). If so, then the OpenNet can terminate in the storeroom

Edited by atlantis2267

dear all,

need some advice how to go about doing this...apparantly the installation in the block will be in Feb but i will only get the keys in March and the flat design hasnt been confirmed yet...

so what should i do? just get them to install and move the points later? i read that the initial installation costs are free right?

nobody can give any advice?? :( :(