Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
seashell

Opennet Cable Installation

nobody can give any advice?? :( :(

From their website, it seems like the recommended place to install the termination point next to your TV point. In that case, if you can decide on at least the place where you will put your TV, you can just get the Opennet contractor to install it there.

Hiding wires etc can come later during the reno.

I believe they did state that you are not allowed to move the points yourself.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Thanks Mickey for the reply.

I am actually planning to install a 16 port switch/hub in my storeroom, where the router and SCV box will be (for M1 BB). From there I will connect and lay ethernet cables to the rest of the rooms, terminated with RJ45 faceplates. The FTTH installation for my block is estimated to be between Mar 2010 and May 2010, and my reno is estimated to start after Feb. My storeroom is along the corridor so I reckon it should be quite safe. The fibre cable can be laid along the corridor and then through the wall into the store I assume. I will plan for a slot for the fibre termination box... alongside the SCV box and power sockets....... have to discuss with my ID and electrician once layout of flat is confirmed.

Now thinking if I should get just a GB switch/hub or a patch panel, which can be configured to include telephone line routing and even CTV routing, besides the RJ45 connections...

Do you mind sharing what is the cost of your intended setup (patch panel, RJ45 faceplates, laying of cables, etc)? I am also thinking of having my house wired up. Any installer to recommend? Thanks!

Hi everyone, has anyone appointed the opennet contractor to come 1st? is it a flat fee 220 dollars?

My reno is this period but my roll out is end this year ? can I get my own contractor to install a

cat5e or 6 wiring? any recommendations?

Do you mind sharing what is the cost of your intended setup (patch panel, RJ45 faceplates, laying of cables, etc)? I am also thinking of having my house wired up. Any installer to recommend? Thanks!

Hi,

so far the costs i gathered are:

1) Legrand faceplates with 2 gang cat6 RJ45 @ ~ $35

2) Belden cat 6 from LHS ~ $1.50/m

3) D-link/Cisco 16 port GB switch ~ $300-380

labour to install unknown yet

To those who has installed the Fiber Optic Termination Pt, I would like to find out more on the open net concept. Basically if I want to designate my study room to have the termination pt, how do I go about in getting this fiber optic signal to the living room where the TV is located?

Ie. if I have the master computer in the study room and connected to a router and my whole house is wired and ready for home networking including the living room next to the tv, how will the connection be? Will it be something like this

{Fiber Optic Termination Pt ----->Router -----------> Master Computer----thru the ports from the router to ------>TV console (UTP output) --------> Other home computers }

Any comment if my understanding is correct???? Pls advise

Edited by machineoperator

This is the reply from OpenNet staff on the guidelines:

"bending radius of the central line of the conduit not less than 100mm."

Regards

The OpenNet Team

seriously... 100mm is huge to accommodate that 2 hair like cable.

seriously... 100mm is huge to accommodate that 2 hair like cable.

I am gg to do my reno this month but opennet installation is like 2-4 mths away. What should I do? Delay or get opennet contractors to wire 1st?

I am gg to do my reno this month but opennet installation is like 2-4 mths away. What should I do? Delay or get opennet contractors to wire 1st?

My Openet is like nxt yr but I've asked my electrician to prep conduit n pull string frm outside my hse to my tv console area. So when e Openet pple cm they just need to attach e cable to e pull string n pull fr e tv console area. Tt way there's no ugly trunking or conduit cuz it will be hidden in my L box. My electrician charge me $150 for this.

Hope this helps :)

My Openet is like nxt yr but I've asked my electrician to prep conduit n pull string frm outside my hse to my tv console area. So when e Openet pple cm they just need to attach e cable to e pull string n pull fr e tv console area. Tt way there's no ugly trunking or conduit cuz it will be hidden in my L box. My electrician charge me $150 for this.

Hope this helps :)

hi umaisarah, why install near the tv console? is opennet like MIO where there is IPTV services as well? From what I see its only broadband for now

Edited by titanax

hi umaisarah, why install near the tv console? is opennet like MIO where there is IPTV services as well? From what I see its only broadband for now

The electrician told me the termination point shd be near the Starhub cable point, which is somewhr ard my tv console area.

The fiber optic rollout is planned for many forms of media transmission, not just for broadband, but media content like similar to mio and much more.

thanks guys, saves me the headache now when i need to plan for my own deployment!

do they need to pull the wires to the room?

htng: actually they just need 1 point per house. then u can use wifi or watever to distribute thruout the house.

lingsummer: u have to ask ur ID to prepare a conduit with a drawrope to facilitate the opennet installers to pull the cable thru. thats what i did