Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
garion

Recommendation For A/v Receiver And 5.1 Speakers

What's your budget?

Cheers

not too much la... haha

i am guessing abt 500 incl.decent wires? is it enuff to get something decent?

does rear surround speaker need to be tokkong ant? or a decent one will do?

i was actually thinking of buying a cerwin vega woofer and doing a custom job for the woofer. any ideas?

Edited by ivan_sg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
not too much la... haha

i am guessing abt 500 incl.decent wires? is it enuff to get something decent?

does rear surround speaker need to be tokkong ant? or a decent one will do?

i was actually thinking of buying a cerwin vega woofer and doing a custom job for the woofer. any ideas?

Rear speakers I cannot comment. To begin with, Mirage are mediocre speakers. You can get another pair of matching Mirage speakers to go with it.

Which Cerwin sub are you interested? passive or active sub?

If its for the room, not advisable to put such a powerful sub. Youre going to shatter more than just mirrors.

Cheers

Rear speakers I cannot comment. To begin with, Mirage are mediocre speakers. You can get another pair of matching Mirage speakers to go with it.

Which Cerwin sub are you interested? passive or active sub?

If its for the room, not advisable to put such a powerful sub. Youre going to shatter more than just mirrors.

Cheers

so what would you recommend bro ? for speakers and a sub?

when i listened to my frd's mirage speakers it sounded decent enuff for me..maybe i am not a hardcore audiophile i guess :)

so what would you recommend bro ? for speakers and a sub?

when i listened to my frd's mirage speakers it sounded decent enuff for me..maybe i am not a hardcore audiophile i guess :)

If its for bedroom, I would not recommend a proper 5.1/7.1 HTS set up.

#1 - There's inadequate room space for receiver & speaker placement esp sub.

#2 - If there's too much clutter, eg bed, wardrobe etc etc the audio would not be at optimum

I would recommend the soundbar if its for bedroom. Leave the 5.1 in the living room.

Cheers

#1 question- yes. Upgrade to a better center & yes maybe a Procenter2000

#2 - Ive tried Deftech sub & i find it a bit hollowed. You may want to audition with velodyne or SVS sub (ask KEC to recommend the model) & hear for yourself the difference. IMHO, DefTech subs cannot handle low bass frequency eg motor humming etc as well as the SVS or Velodyne

#3 - www.svsound.com or www.velodyne.com

Just watched terminator Salvation on Bluray. My Velo sub handled the engine humming really well. Its as if its landing near the open field opposite my block.

Cheers

cheers

Bro vicenzo70,

Due to budget constraint, I have to select the upgrade.

The living room is 4.5m by 5.4m, old 4 room HDB flat.

ProCinema 800 come with ProMonitor 800(4x), ProSub 800 and ProCentre 1000.

Option 1: Upgrade Front L/R speaker from ProMonitor 800 (2x) to ProMonitor 1000 (2x)

Option 2: Upgrade ProSub to SVS or Velodyve

Option 3: Upgrade ProCentre 100 to ProCentre 2000.

which option has the most impact? which has the least?

Thanks.. :)

Bro vicenzo70,

Option 1: Upgrade Front L/R speaker from ProMonitor 800 (2x) to ProMonitor 1000 (2x)

Go for Option 2. Then if you have the additional budget, go for option 3.

Cheers

Hi people, any one using the new Marantz 6004 Av Receiver?any recommendations on a 5.1 or 7.1 setup?

Marantz receivers are more adapted for music listening rather than movie watching.

You could pair it with B&W or Tannoy speakers.

Again, its best you go & audition.

Cheers

Go & audition this model to have a better assessment.

Cheers

Vincenzo, auditioned them yesterday at TC. Kinda preferred what I heard on these than the Def Tech 600/800. And slightly cheaper too. They're pairing it with a huge woofer, the SW-450. Can't find any comments on the net rgd this system though, think it's pretty new on the market. Any news on the B&W M1?

Vincenzo, auditioned them yesterday at TC. Kinda preferred what I heard on these than the Def Tech 600/800. And slightly cheaper too. They're pairing it with a huge woofer, the SW-450. Can't find any comments on the net rgd this system though, think it's pretty new on the market. Any news on the B&W M1?

Hi Ive spoken to my friend who's selling his B&W. Bear in mind, his M1 is without a sub. Not sure if youre still keen.

He may contact u today.

Cheers

Bro vicenzo70,

I was in the same dilemma as you, deciding between all the available upgrades from ProCinema 800.

Agree with vicenzo70 too that option 3 to upgrade the sub would be the most significant change that can be heard/felt (really can feel the air punching when I tried the SVS PB12 NSD !).

Anyway I end up taking options 1+2+3 with downgrade of rear speakers to ProMonitor 600 after all the poisonous audition of all possible combinations at KEC. :D

*Wallet bleeding* But I sacrifice rear speakers mostly because my listening space (tiny living) is smaller.

Final system that I got...

Front L/R: ProMonitor 1000

Centre: ProCentre 2000

Rear L/R: ProMonitor 600

Sub: SVS PB10 NSD [Would love to have PB12NSD but its too HUGE!]

AVR: Denon 1910

Edited by jervislim

hihi guys..i've just ordered a Def Pro 600 together with a CHT-8Q along with a onkyo 507..this is for my living room...do you think i should upgrade my only centre to ProCentre 1000? or should i get Pro 800 instead and downgrade my surround to Pro 600 with the remaining items remain? I have not collected the items yet due next week..difference between a Pro 600 sys and a Pro 800 sys is $600..thanks..

hihi guys..i've just ordered a Def Pro 600 together with a CHT-8Q along with a onkyo 507..this is for my living room...do you think i should upgrade my only centre to ProCentre 1000? or should i get Pro 800 instead and downgrade my surround to Pro 600 with the remaining items remain? I have not collected the items yet due next week..difference between a Pro 600 sys and a Pro 800 sys is $600..thanks..

I'll say do it if your wallet agrees with your ear. Best way is to audition to justify if its worth your money for the upgrade.

Different people may have different preferences/"weight balance scale". E.g. My budget justification may not be same as yours. There are some ppl who may not hear the sound difference between a $6K and a $3K HTS sound system at all.

For me, I auditioned all Def Tech Pro600, Pro800 and Pro1000 sets before arriving at the verdict to get ProMonitor 1000 for fronts as I can really hear the difference.

PM1000 gives really more punch and details compared to PM600 and PM800 to me. I know I'll be happy with it without regrets and hopefully no more upgrades for me next 3-5yrs?? :P

Happy auditioning and shopping! :D

Edited by jervislim