Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
his.beloved.child

How To Clean Grout Between Homogenous Tiles?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Yes I have been facing similar problems and I am set to dicussing a few steps below.

1) you can utilize Oxygen Bleach

2) using Chlorine Bleach and Baking Soda

3) using a Steam Cleaning Machine.

If you attempt these tips for evacuating them. Provided that it is an only a couple of spots and your floor tiles have an exceptional hard surface that won't scratch effortlessly, cleaning tiles as this ought to be simple.

I would like to share my experiences. Tried HG grout cleaner from Home Fix, it doesn't help. Then I watched from youtube on using a blade to remove existing grout and to re-grout. Looks easy and grout cost only few dollars from Home Fix. However decided it takes too much time so didn't want to experience this. Also tried using the baking soda + peroxide method, didn't work too well. Finally bought a Karcher steam clearner that comes with a scrub head, and it is very effective! But as the grout has been dirty for many years, it takes a long time to steam out the dirts. To further experience, I applied some tile cleaners on the grout line first before steaming, and it works wonder! The tile cleaners are not available on the shelves, my friends bought them from some sellers near the wet markets and outside OG, those mobile stalls which I wouldn't take a 2nd look when walking pass. Usually its the aunties surrounding the table where the seller do demo and talk loudly with a microphone. But amazingly those cleaners work, and super effective. if someone can guide me how to upload photo, i can post the photo here, and also my before and after photo.

Edited by gemini

Hi all, I understand your fustration, i too face such issues when i bought my resale flat.

Recently my close friend complained that her new condo also very bad - less than 3 months will turn black. I know that there are ways to clean it using peroxide clorine etc.

But don't do that. you must solve the root problem - which is fungus and dirt. Those grout used by commonly are white cement or some ppl even call it cornice powder etc - but they are porous and will get dark easily, and no matter how good they are, with time, they will crack and leave holes.

I have moved into my place for 1 year and so far my grout is still clean and white - and the solution i found is that you must replace the top coat of your current grout with another type - those that are waterproof and anti fungus. It comes in a bottle and you can apply and clean but trust me - it is super duper tiring. I did my whole house myself. As for my friend, i just helped her scrapped a layer of the current grout off and applied this new grout material. It should last for at least 1 year easily.

So i decided to go into this as part time with my dad - we will help ppl redo their grout for a small fee if you would like - typically can complete within a day. Drop me a message if you would like us to help you - especially now cny is coming, you will want your living/dining room look super clean.

I don't lay tile enought to have that magic touch that keeps mortar out of the joints, so I usually run a "+" style tile spacer though the joints to pull out anything that gooped up. A nylon bristle brush work nicely too.

Finally bought a Karcher steam clearner that comes with a scrub head, and it is very effective!

I second the Karcher steam cleaner.

I used to use bleach +water or the Daiso magic sponge. They either "eat up" the grout or my nails/household gloves.

Lately I tried a small part of my living room with the steam cleaner. Am so pleased I eventually cleaned the grout in my entire flat (bit by bit, whenever I'm free and feel like cleaning) and it's more effective than anything else. No need for any cleaning agents, just hot steam and the hard bristle brush that came with the steamer. Any dark "spots" you still see are probably parts of the grout that needs to be fiilled, not dirt.

I used to use bleach +water or the Daiso magic sponge. They either "eat up" the grout or my nails/household gloves.

Bleach is corrosive, better not use it on homogeneous tiles

On 12/29/2013 at 5:51 PM, sgpuser said:

Hi all, I understand your fustration, i too face such issues when i bought my resale flat.

Recently my close friend complained that her new condo also very bad - less than 3 months will turn black. I know that there are ways to clean it using peroxide clorine etc.

But don't do that. you must solve the root problem - which is fungus and dirt. Those grout used by commonly are white cement or some ppl even call it cornice powder etc - but they are porous and will get dark easily, and no matter how good they are, with time, they will crack and leave holes.

I have moved into my place for 1 year and so far my grout is still clean and white - and the solution i found is that you must replace the top coat of your current grout with another type - those that are waterproof and anti fungus. It comes in a bottle and you can apply and clean but trust me - it is super duper tiring. I did my whole house myself. As for my friend, i just helped her scrapped a layer of the current grout off and applied this new grout material. It should last for at least 1 year easily.

So i decided to go into this as part time with my dad - we will help ppl redo their grout for a small fee if you would like - typically can complete within a day. Drop me a message if you would like us to help you - especially now cny is coming, you will want your living/dining room look super clean.

Hi, can pm me ?