Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
purecat

How Much Can We Save If We Hire A Contractor Instead Of An Id ?

We have asked for 4 quotes. Already received 1 quote but surprise to see high markup for doors / door frames. Another friend who's quote we will be seeing soon ( this sat), over the phone told my husband about the quote for the tile we wanted. It is about $2 higher per sq foot. ( excluding labour )

Now we are contemplating getting a contractor instead. Or splitting up: floor get a tiler, cabinet get carpenter, plumbing get a plumber.

Just checking for those who done that before, how much can you save ?

Ours is a 5 room resale. Quite a fair bit of hacking to do also.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

from other posts that i'd read/ seen + my own sourcing for quotations, i'd reckon that e price difference to be around 10-15%. so

u gotta decide that would u wanna do ur own co-ordination or would u rather pay a little bit more n have less worries.

my advice would be that if u can more/ less fix ur requirements, then send ur enquiry to at least 5-8 IDs n wait for them to come

back to u with a quote lor. from there u'll have a better idea.

good luck :)

diy coordination will give you a lot of headache if you need to retify anything after work is done. or one contractor damage something during reno. highy nt sugested.

From what I hear, IDs make anywhere from 10% to 30% on a job.

You got to think that the ID needs to earn, the ID's firm needs to earn.....

Comparing quotes will give you an idea if an ID is way over the top or not.

The headache of coordinating with contractors, giving them instructions in lingo they can understand, giving you feedback on which ideas will work and which will look gaudy.... kinda makes an ID worth it.

(at least that's what I'm telling myself ;) )

Since the all-in-one contractors which are praised on this site are always busy, you can try them if you have a few months to wait.

Alot of people would think they would save alot if they engage a contractor instead of an ID, and even more if they were to engage the various contractors to do each piece of job directly. And frankly, they are right about this. But if you examine it closely, I can assure you the difference is not as much as you thought it would be. The reason is simple, as a single buyer, we do not have the bargaining power. This is not the case for IDs who engage contractors.

As such, a contractor might quote $7,000 to the ID as he noes that if he were to charge it lower, the ID might engage his services for future works. The ID will then charge you $12,000, thus earning $5,000 from it. But if you were to engage the contractor directly, he will most likely charge u $10,000 since he noes this is the only time he can earn from you and will not see you again for the next 10 years.

As can be seen by the above scenario, the savings you got is $2,000. You would need to decide for yourself whether it is worth it to save the $2,000.

My suggestion is that if the renovation is a minor one or if you know exactly what you want and when to do what job , then it makes sense to engage the contractors directly.

The problem with ID is that they like to suggest lots of carpentry work.

Which could add a few thousand more to the reno.

I got a few quote from a few ID, the lowest quote is $65k.

BTW: If your budget is below $50k, you can hardly find a ID. Most will turn you away. :)

My new home just started reno, the initial quote is $40k.

If you are going to engage a contractor, make sure you do lots of research, time and know what you want.

Is it worth the time and effort for $25K? For me, is a YES!

Most importantly, I enjoy and learn a lots things from the process.

I'll be starting my Reno t-Blog soon. :yamseng:

From what I hear, IDs make anywhere from 10% to 30% on a job.

You got to think that the ID needs to earn, the ID's firm needs to earn.....

Comparing quotes will give you an idea if an ID is way over the top or not.

The headache of coordinating with contractors, giving them instructions in lingo they can understand, giving you feedback on which ideas will work and which will look gaudy.... kinda makes an ID worth it.

(at least that's what I'm telling myself ;) )

Since the all-in-one contractors which are praised on this site are always busy, you can try them if you have a few months to wait.

You are right. I guess I really appreciate the fact that I can just email or sms my ID and things get done. I dun even have to be on site. Like now, I still getting her to rectify things, like paintjob etc. Just an sms and a few days later go and see and it will be done. Even if paint already and I dont like the color, it can be repainted.

I dont have to be on site, monitor the work, and have issues if i try to get them back to rectify.

My few times that I gotta meet directly with contractor (installation fan, doors, shelvings) all I had to wait at the half renovated place with nothing to do cos they are not punctual.

Hi,

For saying this, think the contractors & ID will hate me.

Just did my reno for condo recently, most things DIY.

Maybe due to my job (I'm in sales) so I understand that all things are cheaper if go direct. The contractors & IDs will sublet the jobs out to 3rd party and thus need to mark up prices.

My direct contacts & reno jobs

1)I engaged direct co. to hack my condo kitchen & 2 toilets (floor & wall tiles, kitchen cabinet, removal of sanitary wares in toilets & removal of debris) - for only $2K

I heard from the boss that the cost is lower for HDB as condo is strict with the reno timing so it would take them more days to complete as compared to HDB thus the higher cost for condo. ** The boss is so sweet to help hack wardrobe & other shelvings all at no extra cost.

The quotes that I get from contractors & IDs for just hacking (Kitchen & toilet wall & floor tiles) & removal of debris is - $2,600 - $2,800

** See the savings for going direct??

2) bi-fold doors, classic doors & iron gate - better to get direct from co. Source for quotes yourself & bargain a good price. The contractors would have earned 20-30% commission from your sales. If go direct, you may probably get 10-20% savings yourself. These co. can't offer 30% discount to direct customers as their main source of biz still come from IDs & contractors. Can't afford to offend them.

3) People know people in this trade. I got the contact for tiling job from my hacker. The tiler did my kitchen & toilet floor & wall tiles & I'm satisfied with the job done. I even went on site to see his workmanship & confirmed the job on the spot. I bought my own tiles though. Again, contractors will get 20-30% commission bringing you to choose tiles & you won't enjoy savings. I bought the tiles myself & got a discount for going direct (though the discount is not as much as the co. gives to contractor, but it's still savings)

The tiler charged me tiling job by per sqm, whereas the contractor charge me a lump sum. I heard from my tiler HDB toilet & kitchen tiling job is only $2+/sqm. The lowest quote I got from contractor is $3.50/sqm but my tiler only charges me $2.30/sqm. See the mark up? These contractors also find these tilers to do the job for them. The contractor get your deposit but will not pay these hacker & tilers, carpenters, plumbers etc so soon. So these people like to work direct with us, customers. Get paid on time.

4) For hacking of kitchen cabinet, the quote for direct is only $200-$300, but look, your quote is $600. All these savings here & there can get you new cutains, or whatever you like to buy.

5) I also engaged a worker for painting job (contact from my tiler). His pay is on daily basis. But same rules - I supply the paint etc. It's still cheaper than getting contractor. And contractor also earn commission from paint co.

6) I also engaged a co. to do my false ceiling in toilets (contact from my tiler). He quoted me $550 for 2 toilet false ceilings. My lowest quote from contractor is $780.

Enough said. Source direct will give you so much savings! : )

BTW: If your budget is below $50k, you can hardly find a ID. Most will turn you away. :)

Really? I think most of the forumers here spend less than 50k on renovation but they don't seem to have problems getting an ID.

Going through the process of deciding between all-in-contractors or IDs now. Budget ~30K max. Hacking, 80% reno excl. flooring works. Any recommendations on ID packages between the 30K range? Hope someone could advise any IDs they've managed to engage within this range. Thanks!

Hi SUmmer..

I've recently bought my first 3 room hdb resale at amk block 110.. REad your thread regarding going direct.. I'm very motivated to go direct!

I hope you don't mind, I would love to have your contacts for your:

1) Hacker

2) tiler (understand you got this contact through your hacker, so i probably can go through your hacker)

3)Kitchen Cabinets

May I know of the above, who installed your toilet stuff? W/c, Basin, etc.

Regards,

jammo89

Go direct if you have lots of time on hand, and can leave work at anytime to attend to the workers, supervise, coordinate the work, and risk any mistakes. If there are any mistakes due to your inexperience, you will have to pay for it. Sometimes it may just mean redoing the tiles and paying for everything twice.

Get an ID if you want specific themes and are willing to pay for it.

Get a contractor if you know what you want, and want the contractor to handle everything in your reno journey except for design.

To me.. only difference between ID and contractor is...

1) Price - ID takes a bigger cut, and the company also takes a cut

2) Design - ID gives u 3D drawings, etc. For contractor, you don't really know how it'll look like until it's done, but some can do sketches for u.

I went for contractor because I didn't like any designs proposed by IDs and am not going for anything special. My contractor managed everything. I only went to the house to have a look once a week. Of course there were mistakes here and there, but it is the contractor's responsibility to ensure everything is done according to what's agreed.

Hi,

For saying this, think the contractors & ID will hate me.

Just did my reno for condo recently, most things DIY.

Maybe due to my job (I'm in sales) so I understand that all things are cheaper if go direct. The contractors & IDs will sublet the jobs out to 3rd party and thus need to mark up prices.

My direct contacts & reno jobs

1)I engaged direct co. to hack my condo kitchen & 2 toilets (floor & wall tiles, kitchen cabinet, removal of sanitary wares in toilets & removal of debris) - for only $2K

I heard from the boss that the cost is lower for HDB as condo is strict with the reno timing so it would take them more days to complete as compared to HDB thus the higher cost for condo. ** The boss is so sweet to help hack wardrobe & other shelvings all at no extra cost.

The quotes that I get from contractors & IDs for just hacking (Kitchen & toilet wall & floor tiles) & removal of debris is - $2,600 - $2,800

** See the savings for going direct??

2) bi-fold doors, classic doors & iron gate - better to get direct from co. Source for quotes yourself & bargain a good price. The contractors would have earned 20-30% commission from your sales. If go direct, you may probably get 10-20% savings yourself. These co. can't offer 30% discount to direct customers as their main source of biz still come from IDs & contractors. Can't afford to offend them.

3) People know people in this trade. I got the contact for tiling job from my hacker. The tiler did my kitchen & toilet floor & wall tiles & I'm satisfied with the job done. I even went on site to see his workmanship & confirmed the job on the spot. I bought my own tiles though. Again, contractors will get 20-30% commission bringing you to choose tiles & you won't enjoy savings. I bought the tiles myself & got a discount for going direct (though the discount is not as much as the co. gives to contractor, but it's still savings)

The tiler charged me tiling job by per sqm, whereas the contractor charge me a lump sum. I heard from my tiler HDB toilet & kitchen tiling job is only $2+/sqm. The lowest quote I got from contractor is $3.50/sqm but my tiler only charges me $2.30/sqm. See the mark up? These contractors also find these tilers to do the job for them. The contractor get your deposit but will not pay these hacker & tilers, carpenters, plumbers etc so soon. So these people like to work direct with us, customers. Get paid on time.

4) For hacking of kitchen cabinet, the quote for direct is only $200-$300, but look, your quote is $600. All these savings here & there can get you new cutains, or whatever you like to buy.

5) I also engaged a worker for painting job (contact from my tiler). His pay is on daily basis. But same rules - I supply the paint etc. It's still cheaper than getting contractor. And contractor also earn commission from paint co.

6) I also engaged a co. to do my false ceiling in toilets (contact from my tiler). He quoted me $550 for 2 toilet false ceilings. My lowest quote from contractor is $780.

Enough said. Source direct will give you so much savings! : )

Hi....

Can you please share your tiler contacts?

I'm thinking of going the ala carte way but unable to find tiler...

Thanks in advance

We just bought a 5room resale 122sqm flat. We hacked everything except the pipes. If you dont have time to manage the reno, it is better to have an ID company to coordinate the reno. It was a lot of work!

We did have a few quotations from ID. But being cheapo as we are, we chose to find our own contractors for most of the works.

A few savings I had

1) We received quotes ranging from $ 1800-2000 on our full length glass sliding doors for the kitchen. Going direct - we paid $ 900. The saving extended to our shower doors, toilet doors. We also found someone (as a favor) to install the wooden doors for our bedrooms. These doors each $ 300+ are usually meant for landed properties.

2) We bought our own marble tiles, kitchen tiles and teak for bedrooms. It saves us about $ 2000.

3) ID always recommend you not to use garnite for kitchen top. I realise it is because garnite is more troublesome to buy and need more work. ID also seldom has lobang to get cheap garnite. We bought direct and save $ 400

4) the false ceiling for the whole house plus kitchen & toilets was quoted $ 4200-5000 because we had to conceal the pipes in the toilets etc.....a lot of works since we had an old flat, we only paid $ 3000 going direct.

A few tips - we always drop by our house during reno. We bought drinks and lunch for the workers. With the saving we had, my husband even gave $ 50 each to different workers (different contractors). Usually these workers would be so happy and they really make sure to get the jobs done on time and also helped to clean up everytime etc.

Have fun!

We just bought a 5room resale 122sqm flat. We hacked everything except the pipes. If you dont have time to manage the reno, it is better to have an ID company to coordinate the reno. It was a lot of work!

We did have a few quotations from ID. But being cheapo as we are, we chose to find our own contractors for most of the works.

A few savings I had

1) We received quotes ranging from $ 1800-2000 on our full length glass sliding doors for the kitchen. Going direct - we paid $ 900. The saving extended to our shower doors, toilet doors. We also found someone (as a favor) to install the wooden doors for our bedrooms. These doors each $ 300+ are usually meant for landed properties.

2) We bought our own marble tiles, kitchen tiles and teak for bedrooms. It saves us about $ 2000.

3) ID always recommend you not to use garnite for kitchen top. I realise it is because garnite is more troublesome to buy and need more work. ID also seldom has lobang to get cheap garnite. We bought direct and save $ 400

4) the false ceiling for the whole house plus kitchen & toilets was quoted $ 4200-5000 because we had to conceal the pipes in the toilets etc.....a lot of works since we had an old flat, we only paid $ 3000 going direct.

A few tips - we always drop by our house during reno. We bought drinks and lunch for the workers. With the saving we had, my husband even gave $ 50 each to different workers (different contractors). Usually these workers would be so happy and they really make sure to get the jobs done on time and also helped to clean up everytime etc.

Have fun!

can pm me the contact for the kitchen glass? i want to put but xpensive from my contractor.. thx in advance