Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

I just move into my new flat a year ago...

This neighbour living directly above my flat has been disturbing me everyday...

They have huge plants (like trees) all along their corridor and everyday at 12pm this old lady will splash water at these "trees" and water will be splash to my corridor from above...( I have never see pple water plants like that) So my family have to avoid walking by the corridor ard 12pm and totally cannot dry anything at the corridor at all. The dry leaves from their overgrown plants will fall on my corridor and i have the clean them up when i am not planting anything.

Everynight i will know wat time they sleep cos the moment they on their aircon, water will start dripping from their aircon onto mine. I could not sleep well at nite as i cant stand the water dripping sound on my aircon unit outside the window. Is this normal for aircon to drip water like this?

I have been enduring quietly for almost a year although i do get upset at night due to the water dripping as i am a light sleeper.

What can i do? I just hope they can be more considerate. Do you think the hdb can help in any way? Pls give me some good advice... Thanks..

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Can complain to TC about the overgrown plants and excess leaves falling. Use argument like block corridor/fire safety, poor maintenance, wind blow fall down injure ppl.

Cannot use argument about drying things on corridor since not allowed to use it for that purpose anyway.

Is normal for outdoor unit to drip water.

Paste a rubber or foam mat on the aircon so the water will not hit the aircon casing directly.

For Aircon, it is normal to drip water. but the aircon installer will normally install pipes such that the water will flow back into their own drainage and not anyhow drip downstairs.

Can try to complain to TC, but if they dun want to cooperate than nothing much can be done.

Short-term fix: ear plugs. I'm not kidding. You will likely take awhile to resolve the issue with your neighbour, in the meantime, ear plugs will help ensure you are sleeping well.

On your neighbour, if I were you, I'd try the soft approach first i.e. talk to them, you'd be surprised, they might actually be very reasonable people. IF that doesn't work, then go to TC. That way, they (your neighbour) can't say you didn't try being nice.

Hope this helps some.

jus some of the cons of living in hdb..... i guess

Don't think this is unique to HDB. I have a ground floor neighbour in a rather classy area who likes to BBQ. And he starts the fire with kerosene (which is a rather common practice in the UK) which engulfs the estate with the smell of fumes.

Edited by canarywharfgooner

Perhaps I can get advice from the forumers. To what extent can the law be enforced on:

1) BBQ using kerosene in the balcony area.

2) Late-night partying (past midnight), revellers jumping into the pool with beer cans etc.

Because there is no security guards and the managing agent cannot be asked to come down every night to "warn" them, how can other residents take action?

i moved into my new resale flat in nov 2010. i only have an immediate neighbour as my flat is a corner one on a corridor. initially my indian neighbours were ok. then they started to place their 2 mops with the heads upright outside their flat at the parapet at face level. the mops were unsightly and they stank. imagine walking past these mops everyday, somemore at face level!

my MIL complained to them but they chose to ignore. my wife asked me to talk to them. so one day i did. i asked them nicely to remove the mops. but they said the corridor 'space' is theirs! they can put what they liked! the face-to-face talk escalated to a shouting melee, as i became angrier by the minute. they refused to remove.

so my wife and i went to the town council and complained. the officer came the next day and checked. they asked them to remove. AND they still didnt!

then after the whole hooha about a month or so later, the mops werent there anymore? are they feeling guilty? anyway now when i see them i dont smile at them anymore cos they werent neigbourly at all...

Video it with sound, lodge complaint to MC, ask MC to create bylaw.

Perhaps I can get advice from the forumers. To what extent can the law be enforced on:

1) BBQ using kerosene in the balcony area.

2) Late-night partying (past midnight), revellers jumping into the pool with beer cans etc.

Because there is no security guards and the managing agent cannot be asked to come down every night to "warn" them, how can other residents take action?

Video it with sound, lodge complaint to MC, ask MC to create bylaw.

@ nimm12: Would love to at THAT moment, but I will be as guilty and inconsiderate.

@ bepgof: Thanks for the advice. I am part of the MC and have previously highlighted this to the MA. While he has toned down on the activities, it still happens once in a while. Being in a small development and as a direct neighbour, I would refrain from doing something which might not have produce immediate favourable outcome. That said, I think the by-laws are good. Only problem is have to go through an AGM or EOGM but I will make sure that it is proposed!