Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
theoldjaffa

Washers: Lg Wd-14331ad Vs Samsung Wf8702

hi all,

having read thru all the posts on washers, and visited Best / HN / Courts countless times, i am still in a fix on which washer to buy.

different salespersons recommend different models.

there are different views on whether MIT continental brands are better than MIK kimchi brands.

i was first recommended Electrolux due to its Time Manager feature, and supposed better metal hinges.

Then comes Bosch with its rating as the top washer in Europe (now comes with metal hinges too).

Then Miele, the Rolls-Royce of washers, with its superb build quality and honeycomb drum. Price is premium too.

reading thru Renotalk forums, there are strong proponents for LG WD-14331 and Miele. Miele is definitely out of my budget, so this leaves the LG. i am keen on the Samsung WF8702 as well, with its 1200rpm spin speed, silver nano and other features at an attractive price point. However, seems like not many people use Samsung here.

just wanna check with those who have used these 2 washers on their user experience. pls share and help this newbie here.

thanks!

(frankly, i am looking for reassurance, cos it cannot be for a washer with so many features and yet priced lower than the continentals. i mean, something's gotta give right?)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
hi all,

having read thru all the posts on washers, and visited Best / HN / Courts countless times, i am still in a fix on which washer to buy.

different salespersons recommend different models.

there are different views on whether MIT continental brands are better than MIK kimchi brands.

i was first recommended Electrolux due to its Time Manager feature, and supposed better metal hinges.

Then comes Bosch with its rating as the top washer in Europe (now comes with metal hinges too).

Then Miele, the Rolls-Royce of washers, with its superb build quality and honeycomb drum. Price is premium too.

reading thru Renotalk forums, there are strong proponents for LG WD-14331 and Miele. Miele is definitely out of my budget, so this leaves the LG. i am keen on the Samsung WF8702 as well, with its 1200rpm spin speed, silver nano and other features at an attractive price point. However, seems like not many people use Samsung here.

just wanna check with those who have used these 2 washers on their user experience. pls share and help this newbie here.

thanks!

(frankly, i am looking for reassurance, cos it cannot be for a washer with so many features and yet priced lower than the continentals. i mean, something's gotta give right?)

I don't recommend a washer-dryer. If you need a dryer, buy a separate tumble dryer. You can read up Lapena's posts on the reasons why. Miele is supposedly supreme, but the limited local 1-year warranty makes some people think twice. If I were you, I won't buy a Samsung washer. I just have doubts on Samsung making good washers... :rolleyes:

My friend is using a Thomson front-loading washer, made in France. She's using for years, and it's still going strong. It takes a really long time to wash a full load. It takes at least 2 hours, but the clothes come out very clean. Well, that's her verdict for it. You can visit http://www.rinaelectrical.com.sg/ to view the Thomson washing machine catalog, if you're interested.

My next target would be to try out Thomson. Recalling back, it was the very 1st brand that my parents used at their old house, before they bought a SHARP (it sucks!) top loader, followed by a Toshiba top-loader made in Japan (lasted till now). In fact, my parents' very old Thomson washer didn't spoil; my mum just didn't want to bend or kneel down anymore to compromise the low door height of a front-loader. She's getting quite old, and her joints are painful.

Right now, I'm using LG F1422TD. Only 2 weeks of using it, and I already experienced some things unsatisfying about the motor... :fire:

Whenever I perform the Duvet Program (for 8kg load) with its preset max 800rpm spin speed for duvet, the drum will suddenly sound like as if it's going to "grrrung grrung grrrung" out of the machine! And that is during the start of the spin! It feels like as if the machine is going to give way. I'm trying my best to describe it here, pardon my use of words. Maybe I should one day take a video of it and post it up?

Quite a number of times, my spouse even turned his head towards the direction of the terrible sounds and asked: "What the * H E L L * is going on with the washer!?"

However, after the beginning LOUD and HEAVY "grrrung grrung grrrung" sounds which echo from our kitchen towards the hallway, it will later spin more quietly and smoothly. There on, it will stay that way till the end of spin, followed by a very cute end-of-cycle melodious tune.

My washer feet were properly levelled across the washing machine base, shipping bolts removed. Vibrations are minimal, barely noticed! Yet, the sounds, well, not as "silent" as the Harvey Norman salesman had said though. I don't see why the machine still sounds like as if it were going to "explode", at the start of each spin. Especially when there's a full load inside. With small load such as 2Kg, the machine is fine, not noisy and scary.

I've tried spinning at the minimum 400rpm for the Duvet Program, in the hope not to strain the motor. But the clothes came out wet and heavy! It will take a longer time for the clothes to dry. So I had to choose to spin at the already-preset 800rpm for the Duvet Program. At least, my clothes won't come out wet and limpy. But the drawback is that I notice my washer will "grrrung grrung grrrung" heavily at the 800rpm spin for Duvet.

As for the 1400rpm spin speed, I would only dare use it for a load below 2Kg. In my perspective, it's too stressful for the motor to spin a heavy load at 1400rpm. I still want my washer intact!

What I wrote here, is purely based on my experience with the F1422TD washer. It may not be the case with all other LG Direct-Drive models. Since it stated a 10-year warranty for the motor, I hope it lives up to its claim. So far, I don't have any more problems with the initial metallic stench I mentioned before. It's gone, which I did by running the Cotton 60-degree program, with half scoop of my powdered detergent. The tub became sparkling clean with a nice fresh scent after. No mold problems, either!

Edited by aoi

But the drawback is that I notice my washer will "grrrung grrung grrrung" heavily at the 800rpm spin for Duvet.

Hi, the sound u mention is that the washer is trying to find the balancing before it starts its spin, after which it will spin more quietly!Because the duvet with water will cause imbalance. However if a heavier duvet of more than 1 kg imbalance, u will not b able to spin as the counterweight are concrete n cant support more than 1 kg imbalance! Only the miele can support up to 2kg imbalance!

Hi Jaffa, first of all, how much does the few models u've drawn up cost? What's the most important quality u expect out of ur purchase? Price, durability, ease of use, laundry care, time??? prioritise all n u will get a clearer picture.. I understand everybody has their own opinions, so u might get confused! I'm a pro miele user so Cromo gets irked.. N likewise there might be different salesmen scattered all over the country that might offers differing opinions. But once u get a feel of everything, look up the user manuals, u will get a claearer picture of what might suits u!

This is a review by a consumer from the states on the miele w4840. (model not available here).

http://www.epinions.com/review/Miele_W4840/content_417949388420

But its interesting how he rates, 1/3 more the price, 5 times the quality, when he compared the miele to the lg steam washer n maytag!

Edited by lapena

OK lapena I'm sold.

I bought my WD14331 at abt $900.

You sell me a new Miele at 1/3 more than that I will buy it.

I'll even round up.

Give you $1500.

One year warranty also nebbermind.

OK lapena I'm sold.

I bought my WD14331 at abt $900.

You sell me a new Miele at 1/3 more than that I will buy it.

I'll even round up.

Give you $1500.

One year warranty also nebbermind.

Oh ya, ... hmm the 14331 is alrdy 3 yrs old, arnd there if I'm not wrong.. I used to see it retailing arnd $1599 somewhere few yrs back... hmmm. 3 yrs ago pricing? Oh i remember last yr miele introduced a miele w562 to the sg market retailing around $1.7k. Is that gd enough for u?

Unfortunately.........

Miele sold off the last sets in less than 5 mths... While ur 14331 is now trying to be cleared off at such a gd price!!! Wow! It really needs drastic measures to clear them off... Maybe the new steam washer will be sold at $999 in 3 yrs time, y can't u wait? sigh.............

One more time just for you.

LG Wd14331 at $900 is excellent vfm.

I never say it is die die the best machine in the world and you should buy it even at $1600.

I am not a one brand man like you.

My criteria for buying most things is value for money.

I want to get the most bang for my buck.

Currently for washers that honour goes to the LG WD14331.

It is an older model but not obsolete.

It still appears in LG Singapore website as a current model.

Its features compare favourably even with the latest models of any brand.

It has been more than 7 months of happy problem free ownership.

Its performance remains stellar.

If Miele, any Miele drops to $900.

And offer 2 years warranty,

I too will say buy Miele.

Capisce?

Rinse.

Repeat if necessary.

One more time just for you.

LG Wd14331 at $900 is excellent vfm.

I never say it is die die the best machine in the world and you should buy it even at $1600.

I am not a one brand man like you.

My criteria for buying most things is value for money.

I want to get the most bang for my buck.

Currently for washers that honour goes to the LG WD14331.

It is an older model but not obsolete.

It still appears in LG Singapore website as a current model.

Its features compare favourably even with the latest models of any brand.

It has been more than 7 months of happy problem free ownership.

Its performance remains stellar.

If Miele, any Miele drops to $900.

And offer 2 years warranty,

I too will say buy Miele.

Capisce?

Rinse.

Repeat if necessary.

think u will be the only 1 buying if miele drops to $999/=

if that happens, then i'm sure I'll be swearing off miele forever!!

think u will be the only 1 buying if miele drops to $999/=

if that happens, then i'm sure I'll be swearing off miele forever!!

Even at $900 I'll join you in the swearing ceremony if the Miele conks out slightly after 1 year like Mr Waleed's.

But the drawback is that I notice my washer will "grrrung grrung grrrung" heavily at the 800rpm spin for Duvet.

Hi, the sound u mention is that the washer is trying to find the balancing before it starts its spin, after which it will spin more quietly!Because the duvet with water will cause imbalance. However if a heavier duvet of more than 1 kg imbalance, u will not b able to spin as the counterweight are concrete n cant support more than 1 kg imbalance! Only the miele can support up to 2kg imbalance!

Yup, Miele uses cast-iron weights. :jammin:

The "grrrung grrung grrrung" sounds scary for my LG, perhaps 'cause this was my 1st time buying and using a front-loading washer, so thanks for explaining the "imbalance" thingy.

ok guys, cool it :)

now the LG is retailing at $848 at Best Denki Parkway. very attractive price to clear stock as it is going to be EOL according to the sales rep.

Samsung is now out as they don't have a reputation for washers.

my criteria is as such

1) at least 7kg

2) min 1000rpm

3) express wash

after making another trip to evaluate the build quality and washing programs, i think i shall only shortlist the LG and now the Bosch 20260. the Bosch has an edge on build quality and the all stainless steel drum, while the LG wins on features and price. both are going to be EOL models lol..

****, hope i can make a decision soon.

thanks guys for your inputs!

now the LG is retailing at $848 at Best Denki Parkway. very attractive price to clear stock as it is going to be EOL according to the sales rep.

my criteria is as such

1) at least 7kg

2) min 1000rpm

3) express wash

after making another trip to evaluate the build quality and washing programs, i think i shall only shortlist the LG and now the Bosch 20260. the Bosch has an edge on build quality and the all stainless steel drum, while the LG wins on features and price. both are going to be EOL models lol..

Download the user manuals (mostly PDF files) from their respective sites, if you can. You will really get a clearer picture of the washing programs featured and how it operates. It may help you with your decision.

Because, ultimately, you are the one who will be using the programs for the machine you buy. No point buying something whose operations/programs don't suit your lifestyle and your needs, frankly.

Since you wanted to choose between Bosch and LG, here they are...

For Bosch product catalogues and instruction manuals:

http://www.bosch-home.com/sg/quick-links/catalogues.html

https://portal.bsh-partner.com/service2(bD1..._manual_new.htm

For LG:

http://sg.lge.com/

http://sg.lge.com/proddivergent.do?actType...amp;parentId=06

Edited by aoi

my criteria is as such

1) at least 7kg

2) min 1000rpm

3) express wash

Hi,

I am a new member, but have been following this forum for quite a few months now as I was setting up my new house. Most of my home purchases were made after going thru this forum and LG 14331 is one of them (Miele was way out of my budget).

After using my washer dryer for 3 months, I can say that this is the most vfm purchase I have made. The running costs are not very high and the quality of wash is extremely good. Of course, I am comparing it with my earlier top load machines and not any high end ones. I am amazed at the minimal amount of water and detergent needed.

I had an initial problem with water overflow, which was due to the height of my hdb drain outlet. Though it was not a LG problem, they sent a technician. The service was extremely prompt and efficient. The technician clearly explained the type of extention required and drew the exact dimensions of the pipe fittings. I was able to solve my problem with $1.70 extention from local hardware store. The service itself would make me recommend the machine wholeheartedly.

Hi i also spent super long time to check and compare models, final choice is still LG Trom 14331.

Placed order 2 weeks ago for delivery in Jan...if u still have time, next month I used liao tell u how is it :)

To me, its the best value for money.

Hi i also spent super long time to check and compare models, final choice is still LG Trom 14331.

Placed order 2 weeks ago for delivery in Jan...if u still have time, next month I used liao tell u how is it :)

To me, its the best value for money.

LG TROMM ??? srry to splash cold water, its the model tt gt the most complaints on internet !!!