Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
synapse

How Long Have You Been Looking For A Flat?

Just curious.. how long have you guys been looking for a flat (given the high cov for the past few months and this doesn't seem to be decreasing anytime soon)

:bangwall:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Around 6-7 months.

Basically, we started in Feb and finally found what we wanted in Aug.

The first 2 months was more of learning about ourselves, learning about what we really want. Personally, its different writing down what we wanted and seeing the flats in person. Missed out 1-2 good deals as we were indecisive then.

it all depends on individual. I've a friend who took more than 2 years and viewed more than 200 units.

For all our buyings, we viewed less than 10 units and zoom down on the one we like

Total 3 years.

2.5 years trying for balance flat ballotings of hdb but failed to strike any.

1 week looking for resale unit. Viewed 10 units, then OTP.

Now waiting for 1st appt with hdb. Renting a room for 1 year

Edited by forgotten

Around 6-7 months.

Missed out 1-2 good deals as we were indecisive then.

I'm opposite from you haha. I think I was too decisive, too rush to choose the unit! I'll be able to save 20K if I choose other nearby blocks that are mere 5 more mins walk to the MRT station than my block . The latters' valuation prices are 20K-40K lower. :(

Luck and market force play a part. It's tough to gauge the situation sometimes. We won't know how much the other buyers are bidding for the unit, how serious is the seller in selling the unit etc.

My friend didn't manage to grab his 2 units successfully though he offered what the sellers requested (COVs of 35K). There were other buyers who offered few Ks more than what the sellers requested.

Edited by forgotten

Luck and market force play a part. It's tough to gauge the situation sometimes. We won't know how much the other buyers are bidding for the unit, how serious is the seller in selling the unit etc.

My friend didn't manage to grab his 2 units successfully though he offered what the sellers requested (COVs of 35K). There were other buyers who offered few Ks more than what the sellers requested.

well it does seem that sellers are just fishing for prices now..

Around 6-7 months.

Basically, we started in Feb and finally found what we wanted in Aug.

The first 2 months was more of learning about ourselves, learning about what we really want. Personally, its different writing down what we wanted and seeing the flats in person. Missed out 1-2 good deals as we were indecisive then.

i looked for 3 months...from jun 08 and signed OTP in Sep08...act that time the lehman not busted yet so prices were also high (4 room tampines 315k + 25k)...but i went ahead cos knowing how "artificial" the valuation method and system is, hdb prices is not going to drop. on hindsight, i was happy w my purchase. latest prices ringing ard my area for like units is 390K.

my advice to you is gone are the days of buying first hdb can earn money. if u come across one that is ideal and meet ur expectations (eg. low renovation required, shd b no prob to live for at least 5-10 yrs), u can lock in alr.

my advice to you is gone are the days of buying first hdb can earn money. if u come across one that is ideal and meet ur expectations (eg. low renovation required, shd b no prob to live for at least 5-10 yrs), u can lock in alr.

that is what my husband told me.

to earn money for first flat, the only way is via BTO or hope that you'll meet a divorce case (choy choy choy!!! but my relative actually did and now he can net a tidy $80k if he sell his resale unit)...but if the flat is too cheap, one will worry about shady pasts and loan sharks right? :unsure:

Had buy/sell idea about 2 yrs ago. Action started only July 2009, after some calculation and homework....

- July 09 posted to sell existing over internet, wow, many incoming viewers.

- Same time actively look out for unit (have zoom down to 4 blocks, must > 20 storey & certain criterias), fm internet & newspaper.

- Too tired to handle the incoming, sign an exclusive agreement with DWG to sell on 1/8/09. Set target to move early Feb 2010.

- After about 8 rounds of viewing, found the present one on 30/8/09. Signed OTP on same day, asked agent to proceed asap. But ended up seller in contra with another seller.....

-Selling deal closed on 20/9/09. Move out set on 1/2/2010.

Now reno in progress, move in targeted on 28/1/2010, before CNY.

Advice: no child play, need to do homework, then go and no U turn.

that is what my husband told me.

to earn money for first flat, the only way is via BTO or hope that you'll meet a divorce case (choy choy choy!!! but my relative actually did and now he can net a tidy $80k if he sell his resale unit)...but if the flat is too cheap, one will worry about shady pasts and loan sharks right? :unsure:

Just to share... Not all divorcee sellers will sell their houses below the market rate. I have about 10 friends who are divorcees. They are considered serious house sellers but only 1 of them was more qingchai at the house price. I would say that her buyer was lucky to meet her. The rest sold their houses at the market rate.

I saw one Sembawang unit that was asking for 10K COV, which was the lowest COV that I came across so far. Later my agent did a check on seller's financial background and told me that he was declared bankrupt and the bank was forcing him to sell the house off. She warned me that he might have borrowed from loanshark. :unsure: I don't dare to buy such unit......

Edited by forgotten

it took me less than two months but have been think to buy a flat for 3 years :P

just one viewing and i offer with cov 5K.... ;)

it took us 9months - started viewing back in Aug 08, close the deal in May 09 with COV 8k. Handover mid Oct 09 and we started renovation Nov 09. Just moved in last weekend.

wahh..from viewing to move in is 17 months.