Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
welcomegod

Is Exhaust Hood Useful?

Hi,

Heard that some of my relative and friends said that the Exhaust hood is uesless,

as the kitchen will still be 70% oily as usual.

Is it true?

Any way to lessen the oiliness in the kitchen except stop cooking:)

Thanks.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi,

Heard that some of my relative and friends said that the Exhaust hood is uesless,

Is it true?

Thanks.

Very true, my kitchen doesn't install hood.

i thought the exhaust is to suck out the hot air so the cooking smell will not go around the house

wat i noe is that its suck up the air with oil in it filter the oil and let the air out, so that the kitchen wouldn't be so oily.

I hope it's useless too, cos I'm not installing one! I've got an island hob, so the hood looked a little odd, so decided to leave it out completely. Hope it's a justified omission.

Hi,

Is it true?

Thanks.

Have you ever been to a restaurant or coffee shop kitchen ? Even with their powerful suction hoods turned on, you can still smell burnt oil or nice garlic aroma depending on the time of day.

I have used a cooker hood since the 80s' from Elba to present day Ariston and I insist on having one. The reason is simple, it removes at least 80% of the oil fumes. You need to maintain the hood because the carbon filter can only do so much as far as smell is concerned. Next, clean up the kitchen after every cooking session especially if you have deep fried something. Many people assume that having a cooker hood will keep their kitchen 100% clean and smell free. Well, it will if you maintain the hood by washing the filter regularly and changing the carbon filter at least once every 2 years.

Many people's homes have hoods that smell like an oil tank ! They complain their hood is a lousy brand...hey, Fujioh, Rinnai, Ariston, Castor, lousy ??? I think the owners are just LAZY.

agree w asoon88,

my place has also got a chimney hood installed and we clean it EVERYDAY after cooking. even the best hood will have oil stains. so its down to maintenance :)

i think is mine cooking skill sucks. When cook, whole area including floor also oily.

When my master, my mum cooks, I can't even feel oily even she fried the food. She said the technique is to use small fire and my mum's house doesn't have a hood for the past 20 years.

I have used a cooker hood since the 80s' from Elba to present day Ariston and I insist on having one. The reason is simple, it removes at least 80% of the oil fumes. You need to maintain the hood because the carbon filter can only do so much as far as smell is concerned. Next, clean up the kitchen after every cooking session especially if you have deep fried something. Many people assume that having a cooker hood will keep their kitchen 100% clean and smell free. Well, it will if you maintain the hood by washing the filter regularly and changing the carbon filter at least once every 2 years.

Many people's homes have hoods that smell like an oil tank ! They complain their hood is a lousy brand...hey, Fujioh, Rinnai, Ariston, Castor, lousy ??? I think the owners are just LAZY.

Agreed. I find the hood useful too. Plus, I maintain it regularly. Please get those powerful ones. They are calculated by suction power per square metre. 1000/m2 and above will be good.

Seldom use the suction, but the hood lights give the hob area a nice effect.

so true, we hardly cook so no real use for the hood but the lights is turned on almost every night

of course, with better planning can install light at hood position but hood is useful when we really have to cook

Almost useless. It becomes 'one more item' to clean, that's all. But somehow it has become a pretty std item in morden kitchen ... successful marketing by kitchenware vendors.

Whether to have exhaust hood also depends on the ventilation in the kitchen. For a well-ventilated one, you can probably get away with it. If not, everywhere becomes oily after cooking! The cooking smell engulfs the whole house (real life experience)

I am currently deciding between an under-cabinet hood or funnel type. I heard funnel type more powerful. Is that true?

Also suction power that is too strong may not necessary be good, then how much suction power per square meter is sufficient?