Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
shamustan

1960 Intermediate Terrace - A&a, Reconstruction Or Rebuild Costs?

Hi All,

Have decided to go with a reconstruction and have also got an architect to start on the design.

After reading some posts. I have gone on to search for materials myself.

Who are the best marble suppliers in Singapore that can provide a good deal and what is the price range if one wanted to get a white marble type.

Next question I have is. If I buy all the materials myself, how would I be able to negotiate the price for my construction? Normally it is the contractor who buys the materials for me and will makan a bit from there right?

Any advise and direction will be appreciated.

Just put in the contract that you will supply the tiles and the contractor is in charged of supplying the labour, sand, cement and all other materials to install for you.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi to all,

I am now shellshocked at A&A costs. I got my inter terrace in Serangoon 2 yrs back, also 1950s 1800 sf type, now rented out. I am thinking of A&A and moving in after tenants' lease expires in Apr or later in Oct if they extend.

really hope to find cost effective contractor to just do simple re-roofing, and facelift (windows change and ground floor re-tiling) with some hacking. if my budget permits, add a toilet in the 2nd floor.

think i m really going to be squeezed. I have a cash budget of about 60k only. and i do not like the idea of reno loans...

headache.

allim

Hi to all,

I am now shellshocked at A&A costs. I got my inter terrace in Serangoon 2 yrs back, also 1950s 1800 sf type, now rented out. I am thinking of A&A and moving in after tenants' lease expires in Apr or later in Oct if they extend.

really hope to find cost effective contractor to just do simple re-roofing, and facelift (windows change and ground floor re-tiling) with some hacking. if my budget permits, add a toilet in the 2nd floor.

think i m really going to be squeezed. I have a cash budget of about 60k only. and i do not like the idea of reno loans...

headache.

allim

I think you can still do quite a decent renovation for $60,000 such as re-roofing, floor re-tiling and change of windows. If you have a second floor area, you can also renovate your existing toilet.

Why is there a need to do A&A?

Cheers.

Just wondering if anyone out there met so many contractors (at least 9contractors + 2architect) and still can't find one that is close to his/her budget and decided to give up, rent the property out and then decide to renovate your house few years later. Meanwhile, just do basic things like painting etc and rent the place out..makes more sense?

Suddenly felt so tired and forgot the reason why i even got my place which is IMO unfit to live within my own standards and renovation cost is so high. If i were to rent my unit out for 3yr @ 3k/month (4bedroom 2bathroom interterrace) would i have enough to build 3storey? ie very young couple with not much budget to to reno and skin too thin to ask for extra funds..seems so much easier to be a parasite living with parents

Just wondering if anyone out there met so many contractors (at least 9contractors + 2architect) and still can't find one that is close to his/her budget and decided to give up, rent the property out and then decide to renovate your house few years later. Meanwhile, just do basic things like painting etc and rent the place out..makes more sense?

Suddenly felt so tired and forgot the reason why i even got my place which is IMO unfit to live within my own standards and renovation cost is so high. If i were to rent my unit out for 3yr @ 3k/month (4bedroom 2bathroom interterrace) would i have enough to build 3storey? ie very young couple with not much budget to to reno and skin too thin to ask for extra funds..seems so much easier to be a parasite living with parents

I have met with several contractors and 2 architects too. I believe construction cost will only go up because raw materials are getting more pricey and the demand from China, India and other places will push up the prices of these finite building materials. As usual, we can expect labour cost to go up. Gov has announced more levy for foreign workers and are trying to put in place better living conditions. I am not against giving foreign labour better benefits. It is just that this will cost more and owners have to ultimately pay for it.

I hesitated building my place about 3 years ago. My neighbour built his place into a 3 storey inter-terrace for $300K. Now it cost more than $600K to do something similar for another unit. Hence, the wait to save up more before rebuilding may not be the best option given the rising cost of construction. I was told that in future, rebuilding a 3 storey house will probably be in the region of $800K to $1 million in the not too distant future.

If you are really keen to rebuild your house, do up your finances and if the figures allow, go for it now. I simply can't afford to rebuild the house for $1 million because it is a lot of money and I really don't earn so much to afford it. Give the re-construction some thought.

I have met with several contractors and 2 architects too. I believe construction cost will only go up because raw materials are getting more pricey and the demand from China, India and other places will push up the prices of these finite building materials. As usual, we can expect labour cost to go up. Gov has announced more levy for foreign workers and are trying to put in place better living conditions. I am not against giving foreign labour better benefits. It is just that this will cost more and owners have to ultimately pay for it.

I hesitated building my place about 3 years ago. My neighbour built his place into a 3 storey inter-terrace for $300K. Now it cost more than $600K to do something similar for another unit. Hence, the wait to save up more before rebuilding may not be the best option given the rising cost of construction. I was told that in future, rebuilding a 3 storey house will probably be in the region of $800K to $1 million in the not too distant future.

If you are really keen to rebuild your house, do up your finances and if the figures allow, go for it now. I simply can't afford to rebuild the house for $1 million because it is a lot of money and I really don't earn so much to afford it. Give the re-construction some thought.

Thanks for your advice...will call my agent to take off my unit off the rental market

I fully agree with ur assessment.

Historically, construction cost has never gone down. In early 2000, it dropped but the reason was that contractors were taking jobs at suicide bids just to keep the workers occupied. In effect, they were subsidizing construction cost, but the real cost did not drop. Not only is input cost going to rise, BCA and MOM are taking this opportunity to tighten regulations/ improve professionalism, which historically can only be funded in good times.

Therefore, with regards to construction, I fully believe in "Mai Tu Liao".

I think you can still do quite a decent renovation for $60,000 such as re-roofing, floor re-tiling and change of windows. If you have a second floor area, you can also renovate your existing toilet.

Why is there a need to do A&A?

Cheers.

Thanks LeeChaoRui. Good to know that. Hope i will stay within my budget. :)

Anyone has good contractor contacts to share? Pls PM me if not convenient to post here.

I'm looking for a contractor to do reno, wetworks and extension on the second floor.

Agree that prices tend to be sticky upwards with all feel-good in the property. However, on a plus side, my thinking is, with the completion of IRs this year, there should be a let up in the cost pressure. Contractors will be looking for projects and raw materials will not be so congested. Of course, there are some big players (like CDL) who said they will restart their building project (south beach) this year because material costs has come down. (read from The Edge newspaper).

Hi all,

Really good information here.

Just got an old inter-terrace and just starting to decide what to do.

Appreciate if fellow forum members can PM some reliable architect and builder contacts.

Thanx in advance. :)

Hi, we are currently doing a reconstruction of our dream house at the moment, land of 1800sqft and future buildup will be 3200sqft. Our total cost for the reconstruction is slightly more than 300k, thanks very much to our builder, he is a small time builder but very experience. Also we managed to keep cost down by sourcing for our marbles and sanitary wears at warehouse sale. Can u imagine getting italy marbles at $3psf? That 300k included PE and architect costs, and all necessary permits and approvals. We can intro our builder and architect to u if u are interested, but u have to know what u want. Cheers

hi there, i would like to know this small time builder for reconstruction. Please advise .

Currently using YMH builders. Tracked some of their works before finally using them. Very efficient and responsible. PM me for contacts.

Hi, we are currently doing a reconstruction of our dream house at the moment, land of 1800sqft and future buildup will be 3200sqft. Our total cost for the reconstruction is slightly more than 300k, thanks very much to our builder, he is a small time builder but very experience. Also we managed to keep cost down by sourcing for our marbles and sanitary wears at warehouse sale. Can u imagine getting italy marbles at $3psf? That 300k included PE and architect costs, and all necessary permits and approvals. We can intro our builder and architect to u if u are interested, but u have to know what u want. Cheers

Hi, my family and I are planning to rebuild our house. Would very much appreciate your contact for your builder. Thanks a lot! :)

Sue