Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
shamustan

1960 Intermediate Terrace - A&a, Reconstruction Or Rebuild Costs?

Hi, we are currently doing a reconstruction of our dream house at the moment, land of 1800sqft and future buildup will be 3200sqft. Our total cost for the reconstruction is slightly more than 300k, thanks very much to our builder, he is a small time builder but very experience. Also we managed to keep cost down by sourcing for our marbles and sanitary wears at warehouse sale. Can u imagine getting italy marbles at $3psf? That 300k included PE and architect costs, and all necessary permits and approvals. We can intro our builder and architect to u if u are interested, but u have to know what u want. Cheers

Hi, I need to do some a&a to my house too. Would greatly appreciate that u give me the contact details of your builder and architect, as well as provide me the contact info for purchasing the$3psf Italian marble. What else do u source yourself, can u also provide me the contact details? Thanks a lot! My email is cheng038@gmail.com.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Currently using YMH builders. Tracked some of their works before finally using them. Very efficient and responsible. PM me for contacts.

Hi Linda, would appreciate that you give me YMH Builders' contact. Thanks a lot. Email is cheng038@gmail.com

Hi Linda

I am almost going to narrow down the list of builders cum contractors.however I will be adopting the same method as you I'd sourcing for my own suppliers. This will include the architect, flooring , parquet, windows, door,sink, etc. Appreciate if you could share the contacts. As you know that this whole reconstruction thingy is very energy draining. This is the world of Internet and we should all take advantage of the situation. Once I start my reconstruction, I will share as much info as possible to help fellow forumers. What goes around comes around. Thanks, sori being long winded.

All brothers and sisters.

I just bought an intermediate terrace. land size 1650sqft. 2 stories only.

Unit was slightly renovated more than 10 years ago.

This is my first home and it is for my family and I will live in it.

Have a few questions which would appreciate advice from all here.

Firstly. what is the difference btw A&A, Reconstruction. Rebuild is obvious to me.

Secondly, What are the costs today? I spoke to a few contractors and they say that is costs about $300/psf today. Seems very high to me especially since I have read some of the other brothers posts.

Construction costs on newspapers say they go down but when I ask these guys, they all say they very busy and that costs never go down.

Would appreciate any brother who can recommend me some good guys that I can use for this. I think the work that will need to be done is substantial.

Thanks all in advance.

Hi,

So have you done the submission? Takes about 3 month...., just wana know the progress and the cost for your A&A or rebuilding, btw $300 psf is normal if you find an archi & qs thus open to tender, but if design and build by a builder will be cheaper ( include everything ).

Hi,

So have you done the submission? Takes about 3 month...., just wana know the progress and the cost for your A&A or rebuilding, btw $300 psf is normal if you find an archi & qs thus open to tender, but if design and build by a builder will be cheaper ( include everything ).

Hi,

We bought a inter terrace in upper serangoon area 3 years back. Land is around 2500 sq ft. We spent $210K doing A&A. We extended the back and the front into a big balcony so now we have 5 bedrooms. We got the contractor's engineer to double up as engineer to cut down on archtitect cost. We knew exactly what we wanted to do so we rather use the architect's budget for some other works.

Hi Linda

I am almost going to narrow down the list of builders cum contractors.however I will be adopting the same method as you I'd sourcing for my own suppliers. This will include the architect, flooring , parquet, windows, door,sink, etc. Appreciate if you could share the contacts. As you know that this whole reconstruction thingy is very energy draining. This is the world of Internet and we should all take advantage of the situation. Once I start my reconstruction, I will share as much info as possible to help fellow forumers. What goes around comes around. Thanks, sori being long winded.

Hi everyone. Newie here. Need some advise from you all.

Am looking for a suitable contactor to do up my terrace house of 40+ yrs. Looking at the possibility of expanding the exisitng place from a 2 storey to a 3.5 storey. Has any to recommend.

Friend of my recommended A&D interiors....anyone know this company..care to share....>Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone. Newie here. Need some advise from you all.

Am looking for a suitable contactor to do up my terrace house of 40+ yrs. Looking at the possibility of expanding the exisitng place from a 2 storey to a 3.5 storey. Has any to recommend.

Friend of my recommended A&D interiors....anyone know this company..care to share....>Thanks in advance.

I think it is better to keep an open mind about whether to do A&A, reconstruction or erection, each with its pros and cons. I am in the process of rebuilding my house now. If you wish to speak with me, you can pm me your hp. Cheers!

Hey Shamus,

Looking forward to your renovation pictures! =)

Which area is your terrace located around?

P.S. Was looking at renovations to 2 conservation units at Blair road. Decor was mind-blowing.. didn't know you can can make magic with narrow type of land.

Really? Must go check out the decor! Wow, time flies and you have sold your place too? :) Seems like yesterday when we were all renovating our place..

Hi All,

Have decided to go with a reconstruction and have also got an architect to start on the design.

After reading some posts. I have gone on to search for materials myself.

Who are the best marble suppliers in Singapore that can provide a good deal and what is the price range if one wanted to get a white marble type.

Next question I have is. If I buy all the materials myself, how would I be able to negotiate the price for my construction? Normally it is the contractor who buys the materials for me and will makan a bit from there right?

Any advise and direction will be appreciated.

Can ask where u got your marble? I got my floor marble in slabs cut to size from Mondo. Now thinking if to get the toilet marble from them too. Pricing is quite through the roof. But went their workshop and all the marble slabs are really beautiful!

Can ask where u got your marble? I got my floor marble in slabs cut to size from Mondo. Now thinking if to get the toilet marble from them too. Pricing is quite through the roof. But went their workshop and all the marble slabs are really beautiful!

Hi Linda, how is the progress of your construction? Seems like you have only started construction recently and now you are already choosing flooring tiles. That's very good progress. My place started construction in March and the contractor is only starting tiling work now.

There are different quality of marbles, ranging from ordinary ones to the more exotic type which is very pricey. In general, marbles in stabs and cut to size is more expensive and when cutting to size, there will also be wastages. The pro is you will be able to get the size you want. Most importantly, you like the cutting and design of the marble and is able to maintain it.

Cheers!

Hi, we are currently doing a reconstruction of our dream house at the moment, land of 1800sqft and future buildup will be 3200sqft. Our total cost for the reconstruction is slightly more than 300k, thanks very much to our builder, he is a small time builder but very experience. Also we managed to keep cost down by sourcing for our marbles and sanitary wears at warehouse sale. Can u imagine getting italy marbles at $3psf? That 300k included PE and architect costs, and all necessary permits and approvals. We can intro our builder and architect to u if u are interested, but u have to know what u want. Cheers

hi victor, can pm me the contractor as mentioned above. Thanks.

Mondo is known in the industry for high end stuff/ personalised service.

Places like Sinbor, Hafary and Hup Kiong, also carry marble but mostly those very quick moving designs.

Need some advice here. I have just bought a terrace of about 1800 sqft as well. It is now 2 storeys, like those with no attached bathroom on the 2nd floor. I wanted to extend the 2nd floor and maybe add an attic if my budget allows.

I am the lazy and no-time kind, so I just called 2 builders for this A&A work, who quoted me $420K and $300K to do these up, inclusive of all submission and design. I pretty much know what I want, the layout, the finishing, the way the roof should work etc... I don't want to do a reconstruction because it is expensive and tedious.

Are these reasonable quotes or should I go round asking some more? Please share with me what kind of quotes you are getting these days. I heard construction costs have gone up again. :(

Edited by diffphase

Forgot to add that if I don't need to add the attic, they are quoting me $150K. Is this reasonable? They are a small company but have been around for 20+ years, or so they claim. Er... some of the pictures of the houses they built do look pretty dated... :unsure:

Need some advice here. I have just bought a terrace of about 1800 sqft as well. It is now 2 storeys, like those with no attached bathroom on the 2nd floor. I wanted to extend the 2nd floor and maybe add an attic if my budget allows.

I am the lazy and no-time kind, so I just called 2 builders for this A&A work, who quoted me $420K and $300K to do these up, inclusive of all submission and design. I pretty much know what I want, the layout, the finishing, the way the roof should work etc... I don't want to do a reconstruction because it is expensive and tedious.

Are these reasonable quotes or should I go round asking some more? Please share with me what kind of quotes you are getting these days. I heard construction costs have gone up again. :(

Forgot to add that if I don't need to add the attic, they are quoting me $150K. Is this reasonable? They are a small company but have been around for 20+ years, or so they claim. Er... some of the pictures of the houses they built do look pretty dated...

Congras on your purchase of a terrace house.

What you want is actually an extension to the second floor. Given your land size, I think your extension should not be too extensive. Without an attic at $150,000, (assuming you are getting quality construction materials, fairly skilled labour and decent design) is a competitive price. You need to ask yourself if it is worthwhile going through the trouble to add a small extension (I am assuming that the extension is small) for $150,000?

However, not many contractors who do quality work is able to do an A&A extension for the second and first floors at $150K, all cost inclusive now. Hence, I feel that the price is really competitive.

You may want to check out the builder's history and talk to one or two of the home owners who have built their houses with the builder. Even for A&A, you will have to move out of the house and the time taken for construction can be anything from 3 to 6 months. During the construction period, you will still have to take a hands on approach to monitor the works because there could still be slight changes to requirements along the way. :)

If you are going to stay for long and would like more space, you may wish to consider rebuilding the place. After all, either A&A or erection, you will still have to spend a fair amount of effort to plan and monitor the works. If you wish to rebuild in future, all the monies put in to do A&A now would be "wasted" because the building would be torn down.

Edited by leechaorui