Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
shamustan

1960 Intermediate Terrace - A&a, Reconstruction Or Rebuild Costs?

All brothers and sisters.

I just bought an intermediate terrace. land size 1650sqft. 2 stories only.

Unit was slightly renovated more than 10 years ago.

This is my first home and it is for my family and I will live in it.

Have a few questions which would appreciate advice from all here.

Firstly. what is the difference btw A&A, Reconstruction. Rebuild is obvious to me.

Secondly, What are the costs today? I spoke to a few contractors and they say that is costs about $300/psf today. Seems very high to me especially since I have read some of the other brothers posts.

Construction costs on newspapers say they go down but when I ask these guys, they all say they very busy and that costs never go down.

Would appreciate any brother who can recommend me some good guys that I can use for this. I think the work that will need to be done is substantial.

Thanks all in advance.

Read it and thing about it....

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi,

We did a A&A 3 years back. It was a 30+ years old 2 storey and land around 2500 sq ft.

We did rather extensive A&A. Only 1 toilet on 2nd level initially and 3 bedroom. We added on another toilet that is attached to masterbedroom. Our level 2 is able to house 4 good sized bedrooms (think it is significantly bigger than those new condo master bedroom nowadays).

We did extension out behind (kitchen) and the 2nd level follow suit. We also extended infront to convert into a big balcony that covers the car porch.

We shifted the electrical so everything is like brand new. We know exactly what we want so we got a builder and a civil engineer? who doubles up as a architect so that save us $20K on architect fees. In total we paid $210K for the A&A works.

We didn't do an atttic but our contractor told us it would cost around $20k more. Our regrets.... we felt that we should explore 2.5 storey especially on our newly extended area but I recall that our GFA is very near the cut off point for rebuilding.

Hi all,

I am planning to rebuild (not reconstruct) my dad's place, which is 1800sqf in land area, an intermediate terrace. I am working with an architect now on the plans, but i feel that I should do my research and get my 5th and 6th opinion since it is a big ticket item.

What is the market rate now for payment to the architects? Is it 8% of the total construction cost? I have been told that there are one-stop shops which I can go to, which offer their inhouse architects and designers and they'll also do the contracting work for you, at a much lower cost.

Most of the contractors or designers I've approached, said that 600k is a do-able budget to build up to 2.5 storeys. However, a friend of mine told me that contractors usually earn 2 - 3 times of the actual cost. Which is why I am not surprised that the same could be done with 300k, provided you get $3 marbles and what not.

Do PM me your opinions on the contractors and architects you have all spoken to. There are too many out there. The most recently one I spoke with, started doing reno for HDBs and only came into this market in the last 2 yrs. I have a feeling that some of these contractors, once they have one or 2 outstanding projects, they'll just copy and paste that design and use it for their future clients...

I am still in the midst of selection, but i have a target date of march 2011 to start the tearing down.

Hi, we are currently doing a reconstruction of our dream house at the moment, land of 1800sqft and future buildup will be 3200sqft. Our total cost for the reconstruction is slightly more than 300k, thanks very much to our builder, he is a small time builder but very experience. Also we managed to keep cost down by sourcing for our marbles and sanitary wears at warehouse sale. Can u imagine getting italy marbles at $3psf? That 300k included PE and architect costs, and all necessary permits and approvals. We can intro our builder and architect to u if u are interested, but u have to know what u want. Cheers

Hi can you give me the contact of your builder. Sounds like a nice fellow and I am thinking about going the way of a rebuild. Thank you and best regards

Joe

I think you can still do quite a decent renovation for $60,000 such as re-roofing, floor re-tiling and change of windows. If you have a second floor area, you can also renovate your existing toilet.

Why is there a need to do A&A?

Cheers.

I may be wrong but re-roofing will cost a lot, possibly 20-30K,depending on extent of work.

I may be wrong but re-roofing will cost a lot, possibly 20-30K,depending on extent of work.

I did my re-roofing (about 1000 sqft) for $8500 using German tiles that comes with 50 years warranty. :)

However, prices may have increase now due to increase in worker's levy, additional safety requirements, etc...

Have been reading the posts in the forum for sometime... lots of great sharing!

My wife and I have been shopping around for a landed pty and one thing that we can't get clarity on is whether a house can be A&Aed or must it be re-built.

We have narrowed to a 30-odd year 2-storey inter that is around 2300land and 2400built-in. We want to extend the 1st floor kitchen backwards to the boundaryline, extend the 2nd floor (so that we will have 2 good size rooms, ensuite), add a 3rd sty (also with 2 good size rooms ensuite) and a roof terr on the 3.5floor. I think it will come to 3500-4000built-in.

We are really at a loss as I know the estimate cost for re-build ($900k) and A&A ($550k) can be significantly different. Are there ways we can get an assessment done whether house can be A&A before we make an offer to the owner?

Have been reading the posts in the forum for sometime... lots of great sharing!

My wife and I have been shopping around for a landed pty and one thing that we can't get clarity on is whether a house can be A&Aed or must it be re-built.

We have narrowed to a 30-odd year 2-storey inter that is around 2300land and 2400built-in. We want to extend the 1st floor kitchen backwards to the boundaryline, extend the 2nd floor (so that we will have 2 good size rooms, ensuite), add a 3rd sty (also with 2 good size rooms ensuite) and a roof terr on the 3.5floor. I think it will come to 3500-4000built-in.

We are really at a loss as I know the estimate cost for re-build ($900k) and A&A ($550k) can be significantly different. Are there ways we can get an assessment done whether house can be A&A before we make an offer to the owner?

There may be height limits in certain area which stops homeowners from constructing to 3.5 storey. A&A has a fair amount of limitations in terms of construction works and you may not be able to construct to the size you wish for. If you are keen to construct to a design that you like, best to tear down everything and start afresh, though the cost may be higher. Depending on your requirements, I think rebuilding a fairly modest 3.5 storey house (excluding interior furnishing such as carpentry works, LED lightings, sofa, bedframe, mattress, curtains, electrical appliances, etc...) will cost less than $900K. I have just rebuilt my 2,500 sq ft land size corner terrace to 3.5 storey and it cost me less than $900K

In the meantime, you can check out your neighbours' houses to see if anyone build to 3.5 storey. If they are able to, it is likely that you are also able to 3.5 storey.

Cheers!

There may be height limits in certain area which stops homeowners from constructing to 3.5 storey. A&A has a fair amount of limitations in terms of construction works and you may not be able to construct to the size you wish for. If you are keen to construct to a design that you like, best to tear down everything and start afresh, though the cost may be higher. Depending on your requirements, I think rebuilding a fairly modest 3.5 storey house (excluding interior furnishing such as carpentry works, LED lightings, sofa, bedframe, mattress, curtains, electrical appliances, etc...) will cost less than $900K. I have just rebuilt my 2,500 sq ft land size corner terrace to 3.5 storey and it cost me less than $900K

In the meantime, you can check out your neighbours' houses to see if anyone build to 3.5 storey. If they are able to, it is likely that you are also able to 3.5 storey.

Cheers!

Thank you Chaorui for sharing. You have been one of the active members who openly and happily share what you know. :good: (The german roof tiles with 50-year warranty is now stuck in my head)

There is a neighbour along the same street who has a 3.5 storey house which gave me the confidence that height limitation-wise, ought to be ok (though I know it's best to check with BCA?).

My burning issue is I'll probably not know if it's going to be an A&A job or a re-build until I have bought over the property and asked a civil engineer to make the necessary tests. So it's like a $0.5m gamble! Based on your experience, do you know of a better way I could go about to get that A&A or re-build assessment done before I put the down payment for the option to purchase?

Thank you, again.

Thank you Chaorui for sharing. You have been one of the active members who openly and happily share what you know. :good: (The german roof tiles with 50-year warranty is now stuck in my head)

There is a neighbour along the same street who has a 3.5 storey house which gave me the confidence that height limitation-wise, ought to be ok (though I know it's best to check with BCA?).

My burning issue is I'll probably not know if it's going to be an A&A job or a re-build until I have bought over the property and asked a civil engineer to make the necessary tests. So it's like a $0.5m gamble! Based on your experience, do you know of a better way I could go about to get that A&A or re-build assessment done before I put the down payment for the option to purchase?

Thank you, again.

One of the things at I did when I was searching for my place was to get an architect to go house viewing with me. I was able to get advice and when I narrowed down to making an offer, I was able to get the plans and structural engineer to help determine if it is possible to add another story. However for this to work, you will need to find an architect that you trust and who will be balanced in providing views rather than asking you to tear down and rebuild.

IMO I think it's a personal thing to go for rebuilding or A&A.

What are your expectations?

Can you live in a house with external facade that is 30yr old?

How much space do you need?

How many rooms are there in the existing house?

Eg. 3rooms, 2 humans, 1 dog? then maybe A&A enough.

Eg. 3rooms 5adults, 4dogs then please go and tear and rebuild?

If you want estimates, drive along my neighborhood St Patrick's Road see this house newly build semi D beside Grand Hotel (since i never mention exact address should be ok right). Look for the most awful semi D only 4there lah quite easy to spot even if its new. You think nice? Got lift inside, carpark big big can park maybe 6cars.

Total reconstruction cost 750k cheap right but u think nice?

Then u drive abit further to Jalan Sotong look at a 3storey intermediate terrace house? Carpark very small park 2cars if you squeeze 1 vintage merc + 1 mini

Total reconstruction cost 750k without lift

You pay peanuts for peanuts, almond for almond

What i'm trying to say is, you just mention ok terrace house 2300sqft land build in 2400sqft ok good size to start with but you also never mention what is your expectations?

you want cheap cheap material do A&A 250k also can do something decent. What kind of materials you want to use? Homogeneous? My neighbor only spent 150k for A&A and she uses laminate for her kitchen floor and homogeneous tiles for her living room still can stay still ensuite. Her terrace she just paint the floor no tiles no nothing, is this what you desire?

But just to let you know when contractors budget 350k they actually mean please prepare 400-450k, 750k then please prepare 900k in total coz alot of extras?

If i were u, i'll just buy the house if i like it coz a desired location is hard to come by. Buy it and slowly do, money will fall from somewhere (ok maybe just based on my simplistic mind someone who eat less rice than others here who eat more salt) but i probably experienced more house moving than others here

One of the things at I did when I was searching for my place was to get an architect to go house viewing with me. I was able to get advice and when I narrowed down to making an offer, I was able to get the plans and structural engineer to help determine if it is possible to add another story. However for this to work, you will need to find an architect that you trust and who will be balanced in providing views rather than asking you to tear down and rebuild.

took your advice :) - have arranged to view the place again, this time with the architect and builder. Hopefully will get some ballpark figure. But think you are right, in the end the team must be a trusted one.

Thanks.

IMO I think it's a personal thing to go for rebuilding or A&A.

What are your expectations?

Can you live in a house with external facade that is 30yr old? How much space do you need?

How many rooms are there in the existing house?

Eg. 3rooms, 2 humans, 1 dog? then maybe A&A enough.

Eg. 3rooms 5adults, 4dogs then please go and tear and rebuild?

If you want estimates, drive along my neighborhood St Patrick's Road see this house newly build semi D beside Grand Hotel (since i never mention exact address should be ok right). Look for the most awful semi D only 4there lah quite easy to spot even if its new. You think nice? Got lift inside, carpark big big can park maybe 6cars.

Total reconstruction cost 750k cheap right but u think nice?

Then u drive abit further to Jalan Sotong look at a 3storey intermediate terrace house? Carpark very small park 2cars if you squeeze 1 vintage merc + 1 mini

Total reconstruction cost 750k without lift

You pay peanuts for peanuts, almond for almond

What i'm trying to say is, you just mention ok terrace house 2300sqft land build in 2400sqft ok good size to start with but you also never mention what is your expectations?

you want cheap cheap material do A&A 250k also can do something decent. What kind of materials you want to use? Homogeneous? My neighbor only spent 150k for A&A and she uses laminate for her kitchen floor and homogeneous tiles for her living room still can stay still ensuite. Her terrace she just paint the floor no tiles no nothing, is this what you desire?

But just to let you know when contractors budget 350k they actually mean please prepare 400-450k, 750k then please prepare 900k in total coz alot of extras?

If i were u, i'll just buy the house if i like it coz a desired location is hard to come by. Buy it and slowly do, money will fall from somewhere (ok maybe just based on my simplistic mind someone who eat less rice than others here who eat more salt) but i probably experienced more house moving than others here

True the quality of material and finishes will determine the price range. I don't think I will have the ability to go for the top top of the range - something on the moderate type will do - homogenous tiles will do as I don't think i can maintain marble flooring. Wooden strips for the bedrooms (and no I will not settle for painting of the kitchen floor). The modern look with moderate quality material will be the probable choice (unless the $0.5m can give us better).

4 human beings, no dogs (yet) looking for 3 ensuites and a study to accomodate the 4 of us...

I will take a drive around St Pat's area (as am living nearby). I assume yours is the inter at Jln Sotong...

Thank you, again.

You are welcome. Kardtoon has given good advice to invite architect and builder to help you review the place. The prices of construction kept moving up and there are also quite a fair bit of unknown cost that is incurred along the way when one rebuild the house too Hence, like what Pantieileen said, it is safer to budget higher than what was in the original costing.

In terms of engineering, I don't think it is an issue to do either A&A or erection. I am sure the architects and engineers would be able to help either way. The only limitation is finances and whether it makes better sense to do A&A or erection. In general, $500K for not too extensive A&A works is quite comfortable. If you want to do erection to 3.5 storey, $500K is a very challenging budget to work with.

Cheers and good luck to your house selection!

True the quality of material and finishes will determine the price range. I don't think I will have the ability to go for the top top of the range - something on the moderate type will do - homogenous tiles will do as I don't think i can maintain marble flooring. Wooden strips for the bedrooms (and no I will not settle for painting of the kitchen floor). The modern look with moderate quality material will be the probable choice (unless the $0.5m can give us better).

4 human beings, no dogs (yet) looking for 3 ensuites and a study to accomodate the 4 of us...

I will take a drive around St Pat's area (as am living nearby). I assume yours is the inter at Jln Sotong...

Unfortunately no I don't earn enough to afford gold plated taps but what I want to comment is that the quality of his finishings and furnishings are top notch

10min drive to compare both places even though only exterior and you can tell