Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
shamustan

1960 Intermediate Terrace - A&a, Reconstruction Or Rebuild Costs?

Hi, we are currently doing a reconstruction of our dream house at the moment, land of 1800sqft and future buildup will be 3200sqft. Our total cost for the reconstruction is slightly more than 300k, thanks very much to our builder, he is a small time builder but very experience. Also we managed to keep cost down by sourcing for our marbles and sanitary wears at warehouse sale. Can u imagine getting italy marbles at $3psf? That 300k included PE and architect costs, and all necessary permits and approvals. We can intro our builder and architect to u if u are interested, but u have to know what u want. Cheers

Hi, Heard that material price is going up and we are about to finalise the contractor. could you kindly pm me the contacts for marble supplier and also recommendation on materials. Thanks in advance.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi, Heard that material price is going up and we are about to finalise the contractor. could you kindly pm me the contacts for marble supplier and also recommendation on materials. Thanks in advance.

If u can confirm quickly, some suppliers may be willing to offer u 2010 price. On avg I u/stand marble prices are going up by more than 10%. If want a good deal, forget about those @ balestier or defu. Go direct to the importer / wholesaler. U can easily save $3-8 psf but u must hv qty

I did my re-roofing (about 1000 sqft) for $8500 using German tiles that comes with 50 years warranty. :)

However, prices may have increase now due to increase in worker's levy, additional safety requirements, etc...

Hi there. Can I check who did you use to do re-roof? I am looking to do the same for my semi-d. I estimate the area to be about 1400 sq ft. I got a quotation for 18K for Malaysia tiles! Which I was told is about $1++ / piece. Another quotation which I am waiting for put estimate at 30-35K if I need to change the timber and also for scaffold (5K).

Warranty is 1 year only for ingress of water.

Comparatively, yours sounds like a very good deal especially using German tiles. Please share more information about 8.5K entails i.e. scaffold, new timber, scaffold?

Some of the contractor tells me that there is a need to replace timber as it could have aged and become unsafe for use after exposure. Also need to submit drawing to BCA (I think) to confirm that the structure could take the new weight of the tiles. A simple re-roof is starting to look very complex. Appreciate if you could share your experience. Thanks!

Hi there. Can I check who did you use to do re-roof? I am looking to do the same for my semi-d. I estimate the area to be about 1400 sq ft. I got a quotation for 18K for Malaysia tiles! Which I was told is about $1++ / piece. Another quotation which I am waiting for put estimate at 30-35K if I need to change the timber and also for scaffold (5K).

Warranty is 1 year only for ingress of water.

Comparatively, yours sounds like a very good deal especially using German tiles. Please share more information about 8.5K entails i.e. scaffold, new timber, scaffold?

Some of the contractor tells me that there is a need to replace timber as it could have aged and become unsafe for use after exposure. Also need to submit drawing to BCA (I think) to confirm that the structure could take the new weight of the tiles. A simple re-roof is starting to look very complex. Appreciate if you could share your experience. Thanks!

If you are planning to demolish the entire roof and building a new one including putting in place new concrete structures to support a new roof, you will need to engage an engineer to help you. There are good reasons why some people do that. When I used concrete beams to support my roof, the engineer and I discussed about how it is going to be done, the materials used and the waterproofing method employed.

After which, I worked with the foreman to consider the various practical aspect of fixing the structure of the roof so that it is lasting, will not leak and will not cause my house to become too hot during the day, allow for good distribution of water discharge when there is heavy storm and rain, look aesthetic from the outside, easy to do maintenance when I decide to utilise the roof in future, easy to install solar panels in future and also easy to do painting works on parts of the building that require workmen to climb up.

There are really a fair bit of consideration in installing the roof and engineers' drawing cannot specific everything. What the drawing show is feasible on paper, there is much more knowledge in the practice. If you want the roof to really work, you have to be hands on and work with an experience foreman. The foreman also has to supervise the workers quality of work to ensure that you can have a safe roof that can last you easily 50 years without problems. Come 50 years, it should be easy to change the worn out tiles.

Generally, if you are only changing the tiles on the roof, changing some worn out timber, it should not cost too much and will not need BCA's approval. :)

1400 sq ft seems a little small for a roof. Is that the floor area or the size of the roof (taking into account of the pitch). I did mine for about 14k (inter-terrace) with the similar materials you are taking about (TBF Romane), including wooden battens, bubble insulation, gutters and colorbond flashing. No leaks so far even with the heavy rain. Though I must say my neighbor German pantiles tiles looks nicer though. ;)

Changing of the wooden structure will cost significantly more, but I got multiple quotes from many roofers, it seems that there are some who will insist of changing the wooden structure at a very high price (30k). Which is not necessary for my case. Maybe you should ask them to quote and replace only the rafters that are damaged. Normally they charge 150 to 300 per piece.

1400 sq ft seems a little small for a roof. Is that the floor area or the size of the roof (taking into account of the pitch). I did mine for about 14k (inter-terrace) with the similar materials you are taking about (TBF Romane), including wooden battens, bubble insulation, gutters and colorbond flashing. No leaks so far even with the heavy rain. Though I must say my neighbor German pantiles tiles looks nicer though. ;)

Changing of the wooden structure will cost significantly more, but I got multiple quotes from many roofers, it seems that there are some who will insist of changing the wooden structure at a very high price (30k). Which is not necessary for my case. Maybe you should ask them to quote and replace only the rafters that are damaged. Normally they charge 150 to 300 per piece.

The 1400 sq ft may not represent the whole roof because the roof can be made of part concrete and part tile. Agree with you that if one is just replacing the roof tile and some pieces of rafters, it should not cost too much. Sometimes the contractor provide free rafters if only a few are required.

Before the work get started, the contractor would have climbed up the roof to survey the place.

The 1400 sq ft may not represent the whole roof because the roof can be made of part concrete and part tile. Agree with you that if one is just replacing the roof tile and some pieces of rafters, it should not cost too much. Sometimes the contractor provide free rafters if only a few are required.

Before the work get started, the contractor would have climbed up the roof to survey the place.

Actually the roof size is an estimation as I do not have the floor plan. land area is 3300.

I need to replace the whole roof I think as most tells me its too brittle to wash and repaint (current one is cement tiles which is out of production!). I spoke to another contractor this morning, using german tiles he estimated 20K. the timber takes up about 30-35% of the costs which he said he will rebate if there is no need to replace. They will only know if its useable after they start work and removed the tiles...Another 4K goes to scaffolding. So actual roof tiles replacement is actually half the cost....

I am just thinking of doing a simple replacement without change to the roof structure.. but seems like there is alot more consideration and I don't know where to start! I always meet the contractors alone and I don't know if they think they can smoke a young lady. Usually, they just quote me based on what I ask which is just to do replacement lor. The scary part is that the quotation varies a fair bit from company to company.

As for surveying the place, most tells me they can only know about the timber useability after they start work. No one has actually climbed my roof yet. I am not sure what is the standard practice.

I just want to make sure that I don't get overcharged for inferior quality and the roof can last me another 50 years if need be!

Actually the roof size is an estimation as I do not have the floor plan. land area is 3300.

I need to replace the whole roof I think as most tells me its too brittle to wash and repaint (current one is cement tiles which is out of production!). I spoke to another contractor this morning, using german tiles he estimated 20K. the timber takes up about 30-35% of the costs which he said he will rebate if there is no need to replace. They will only know if its useable after they start work and removed the tiles...Another 4K goes to scaffolding. So actual roof tiles replacement is actually half the cost....

I am just thinking of doing a simple replacement without change to the roof structure.. but seems like there is alot more consideration and I don't know where to start! I always meet the contractors alone and I don't know if they think they can smoke a young lady. Usually, they just quote me based on what I ask which is just to do replacement lor. The scary part is that the quotation varies a fair bit from company to company.

As for surveying the place, most tells me they can only know about the timber useability after they start work. No one has actually climbed my roof yet. I am not sure what is the standard practice.

I just want to make sure that I don't get overcharged for inferior quality and the roof can last me another 50 years if need be!

When the contractor climb up the roof, he would have a better idea of what needs to be changed. Otherwise, at the end, I suspect that you will be charged the total or almost the total sum for the timber change. A lot of them would prefer not to dirty themselves by going up to the roof since they can always charge you more for timber change later.

The MOM regulation requires the contractor to put up scaffolding now and the contractor is right that it takes up another $4K. It is not uncommon to have wide variation to the prices for roof change.

When the contractor climb up the roof, he would have a better idea of what needs to be changed. Otherwise, at the end, I suspect that you will be charged the total or almost the total sum for the timber change. A lot of them would prefer not to dirty themselves by going up to the roof since they can always charge you more for timber change later.

The MOM regulation requires the contractor to put up scaffolding now and the contractor is right that it takes up another $4K. It is not uncommon to have wide variation to the prices for roof change.

Thanks for the quick reply. So its possible that they can evaluate the quality of the timber before they start.. ok, let me try asking them to get themselves dirty next time.

Yup, definitely not uncommon thats why have been getting multiple quotes.. however, its still quite daunting.

My new roof costs 21k from timber/tile to don't know what support/metal roof

I made all the contractors who came to quote for my reconstruction prior climb up to assess the condition of the old roof. I removed the false ceiling panel and provided a ladder and a big big torch light and made them climb on the spot.

My new roof costs 21k from timber/tile to don't know what support/metal roof

I made all the contractors who came to quote for my reconstruction prior climb up to assess the condition of the old roof. I removed the false ceiling panel and provided a ladder and a big big torch light and made them climb on the spot.

wow! haha. That's well thought out.

Yeah, all the contractors just come, do some measurement and quote. I was wondering why no one bothered to climb up and thought its the usual practice.. well, learning something new each day..

but the timber should be about 30 years old already ba. not sure what's the life span of timber but maybe could be wiser to change to avoid problems a few years down the road....

Hi, we are currently doing a reconstruction of our dream house at the moment, land of 1800sqft and future buildup will be 3200sqft. Our total cost for the reconstruction is slightly more than 300k, thanks very much to our builder, he is a small time builder but very experience. Also we managed to keep cost down by sourcing for our marbles and sanitary wears at warehouse sale. Can u imagine getting italy marbles at $3psf? That 300k included PE and architect costs, and all necessary permits and approvals. We can intro our builder and architect to u if u are interested, but u have to know what u want. Cheers

Hi, we are planning to purchase a small landed house around 900sqf land. Currently it has 2 storey and an attic. We will like to extend the second level, redo the ground floor to have a small backyard with heated jacuzzi (currently it is fully covered) and hopefully a better height attic / third floor with new roofing. Will you be able to recommend your builder to us? Do you know how much in total is the professional fees (PE, architect and submission).

We are also planning to apply for construction loan but understand that some banks do not support professional fees in the loan. Do you know of any bank that supports this?

Hi, we are planning to purchase a small landed house around 900sqf land. Currently it has 2 storey and an attic. We will like to extend the second level, redo the ground floor to have a small backyard with heated jacuzzi (currently it is fully covered) and hopefully a better height attic / third floor with new roofing. Will you be able to recommend your builder to us? Do you know how much in total is the professional fees (PE, architect and submission).

We are also planning to apply for construction loan but understand that some banks do not support professional fees in the loan. Do you know of any bank that supports this?

depends on seniority of the banker u talk to. Any bank also offer.

Hi all,

I am new here and would appreciate some advice.

I just bought an old house and plans to tear it down and rebuild. Btw, its a small 1400 sq ft place.

Actually, i visited the forum a year back and has some idea but now i feel very frustrated cos what the architect & builder told me is completely different.

Initially i want to build a small basement (for the bomb shelter & laundry etc), i was expecting it to cost maybe 100k or so, but the builder told me it will add 300k to build it. Isn't ridiculous?

I also went to an architect (who suppose to be a friend of a friend of a friend - and so much for "friend") and he quoted me 50k for his services, not inclusive of TOP survey and submission fee. But i read from the forum that some of your architect charges round 22-30k. ??? I mean - am I a carrot or what?

So far, of the six builder i approach - i have unpleasant experience from 4. The moment i told them what i want - which is a simple house with none of the fancy stuffs, their attitude changes. Either they become dis-interested or quote you something unreasonable( e.g. they say they can build a 2.5 storey all in for 500k, but quote me 600k to just build the structure of my house.)

Has their business become so good that they can afford such arrogant?

If anyone can recommend a good & sincere architect and builder, it would be great.

Btw, does the architect just draw up the plan for the house?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Don't know what u mean by GFA before reno, build in area was 1443sqft, now trying to reach 2822sqft

22k kitchen (includes the 4round things u put the pots and woks got fire coming out, the chimney thing to suck the fumes, oven, microwave, 2sinks, 2 taps from Teka)

345k already includes marble floor, painting indoor and outdoor using ICI, tiling, glass bath shower screen

2k already spent about on Grohe toilet fittings (taps and showers)

2k Toilet bowls from Gerbeit and Johnson sussise actually its 1700 but 2k easier to count

2k to refurnish some antique furniture

22k for architect

1k topo survey

3k cctv check actually its $2600

3k URA actually its $3150

1k BCA actually its $900

5k SCV Cable

6k PUB upgrade

2k PUB actually its $1500

? wardrobe and bathroom vanity, electronics, furniture, art, toilet sinks

140 moving of vintage furniture out of the house

2k framing of antique dress

so far 418k

better pray relatives and friends give me more angbao for my wedding to top up for my shortfall

I am glad you are happy with the outcome of your house. could you pm me your architect & contractor contact? Thanks.