Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ninja3101

Anybody House Got Do Network Or Lan Points ?

Just curious, if I'm buying the LAN cables myself, what kind should I buy? One side normal Jack (head) and other side without (for faceplate)?

I believed its called the Cat-6 if you are buying the whole ream..for the RJ45 jack & faceplate..you can get from Sim Lim Tower.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Yup, I've done 2 LAN points per room, whole house got 16 LAN points, running on Gigabit LAN. It's for redundancy purposes. Quite convenient as all you need to do is to plug in LAN cables & can use the internet anywhere. Wireless still will drop signals, but Ethernet won't.

did u use a patch panel? or do you just connect all 16 points to a switch?

I need around 80m of Belden Cat6 cable, do anyone has any cable to let go or anyone interested to share a new box of cable?

you don't usually see 12 port switches. it usually comes in 5/8/16/24

i got the SMC 16 port gigabit switch from PC show at 199. quite a good price imo

just get a rack mount switch and place it on a desktop. it works as well. only diff is the cable connection at the front.

very hard to find 16 port desktop switches. i remember seeing 1 from dlink that costs 399. i could have got 2 SMCs

Edited by wolflet

Usually the network points should terminate onto a patch panel.

And the patch cable will then connect the switch to the patch panel.

It is much neater this way especially if you have lots of network points and ease of identification of network point location on the patch panel.

Yes, it would be neater. Any idea where to get the patch panel ?

Usually the network points should terminate onto a patch panel.

And the patch cable will then connect the switch to the patch panel.

It is much neater this way especially if you have lots of network points and ease of identification of network point location on the patch panel.

I have seen some at Sim Lim Square but the patch panel is quite common for office projects.

When I did up mine ... i just used 2 x 4 telephone point faceplate to terminate my points in a cabinet as i didnt have many LAN points ....

Yes, it would be neater. Any idea where to get the patch panel ?

I think LHS (shopname) in Sim Lim Tower (second floor) sells Belden Cat 6 loose ie you can buy whatever length you require. Look for Robert - he's a great guy and provides good advice.

If you are renovating your house, just get your electrician to do it. It is no different from lying a new telephone or SCV cabling point ...

if anybody can do network points in both rooms? what is their charge?