Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Christopher

Pricing In Tiles

Hi,

Need some advice, am selecting tiles for my reno work. However, I hope some expert can share some knowledge on tiles. There is 30 x 30 , 30 x 60 tiles which i am looking to get for my kitchen and toilets. The price for 30 x 30 is $2.40psf and 30 x 60 is either $3.20 or $3.60psf if i will like to save some $$ which should i go for? 30 x 30 or 30 x 60?

Thanks

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi,

Need some advice, am selecting tiles for my reno work. However, I hope some expert can share some knowledge on tiles. There is 30 x 30 , 30 x 60 tiles which i am looking to get for my kitchen and toilets. The price for 30 x 30 is $2.40psf and 30 x 60 is either $3.20 or $3.60psf if i will like to save some $$ which should i go for? 30 x 30 or 30 x 60?

Thanks

from what i was told my multiple IDs. using 30x60 in the kitchen/bathroom increases the chance of having uneven flooring due to the larger size of the tiles. thus creating water pockets.

better to use 30x30 for kitchen/bathroom flooring. cheaper too ;)

from what i was told my multiple IDs. using 30x60 in the kitchen/bathroom increases the chance of having uneven flooring due to the larger size of the tiles. thus creating water pockets.

better to use 30x30 for kitchen/bathroom flooring. cheaper too ;)

Where's the science behind the ID's assertions?

Hi,

Thanks

Use smaller tiles for kitchen and toilets due to the water flow.

The difference in price is also due to the made. Those made in Spain are of course more ex compare to those made in China and Malaysia. I choose to use 30 x 30 Spain tiles which cost S$3.60 @ Soon Bee Huat but S$3.30 @ Hafary. Same made, same code, same tile. The ex-owner of my house used Spain tiles and it is so lasting and durable. My maids are so clumsy and kept dropping pots and pan on the homogenous tiles, but my tiles are never damage. If not because of the relocation of my kitchen sink, I wouldn't hack it away.

I also noticed that most of the China tiles @ the supplier's showrooms have minor chips, whereas those made in Spain and Italy seems more durable. Pay attention on your next visit. Hope this helps and good luck!

it is not the uneven flooring i guess. i saw the process of flr tiling before and the worker told me they need to make e elevel slightly slunted to allow the water to flow to the floor trap direction. so 30 x 30 will be the best choice i guess.

Use smaller tiles for kitchen and toilets due to the water flow.

The difference in price is also due to the made. Those made in Spain are of course more ex compare to those made in China and Malaysia. I choose to use 30 x 30 Spain tiles which cost S$3.60 @ Soon Bee Huat but S$3.30 @ Hafary. Same made, same code, same tile. The ex-owner of my house used Spain tiles and it is so lasting and durable. My maids are so clumsy and kept dropping pots and pan on the homogenous tiles, but my tiles are never damage. If not because of the relocation of my kitchen sink, I wouldn't hack it away.

I also noticed that most of the China tiles @ the supplier's showrooms have minor chips, whereas those made in Spain and Italy seems more durable. Pay attention on your next visit. Hope this helps and good luck!

Thanks for the advice, indeed very good information. :D i will check on my next visit

it is not the uneven flooring i guess. i saw the process of flr tiling before and the worker told me they need to make e elevel slightly slunted to allow the water to flow to the floor trap direction. so 30 x 30 will be the best choice i guess.

What's the science behind this assertion?

i'm not really sure. but i think its something about bigger tiles being harder to place for leveling since its flat over larger surface.

can some expert pls advise?

the slope to be made towards the drain hole is very gentle slope. bigger slice of tiles are more difficult to form a smooth slight gradient. using smaller slices of tiles is easier to make a smooth gradient, can slowly reduce the gradient in each tile step, get the idea?

When tiles are lay for kitchen or toilet, it required a slight but not obvious slope towards the floor trap (drainage). Contractor will use a level spirit while laying the tiles and they have to ensure a gradual slope will allow water to flow in the direction towards the drainage. So when you wash your floor, the water will gradually heads towards the water drainage even if you don't sweep them. By using 30 x 30, that will enable the contractor to manage the slope better. But with 30 x 60, tiles are difficult to lay with 3 directions/corners needed to slope towards the drainage. Smaller the better. Understand?

Thanks for the advice, indeed very good information. :D i will check on my next visit

Forgot to add.

When you visit the showroom, you can request them to lay a few (6pcs) together to see the effect. Also pls remove your shoes and step on them to get a feel of the texture. Rough surface does not equate to non slippery. HDB provided very rough tiles for my toilet and believe it or not, my maid and my MIL fell. The rough tiles actually retain water and causing algae to form quickly on the surface. This create slippery effect. I end up re-lay the tiles with smoother Homogenous tiles. And it's so easy to maintain and surprisingly, it's not slippery and the surface dries up so fast after every wash.

Seek advise from the sales @ Hafary and Soon Bee Huat(Toh Guan). They give reasonable good advice.

Also use Homogenous tiles with bottom and top of the same colour. If they happened to chip, which hardly unless you dropped a pestle or a mortar, it will not be obvious.

Good Luck!