Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Amy Choon

Id Vs Contractor

Hey all,

I just bought my apartment last month and will be getting the keys probably mid April. Now I'm not sure if I should hire a contractor or ID. How much more do I need to pay for ID ah? My current flat, I got a contractor to do, and becos I don't have much design concept, it wasn't a good job cos everything tak match la. I thought ID can do a better job. Actually I don't need a showroom place, I just want someone to give me good ideas of how to maximise my new place's "potential", especially my dark and dingy ultra small kitchen.

Need some advise... help help.. ID or contractor?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi, last time i was sceptical bout contractor so i went to few id firm to ask for quotation.wat they quote me was really ex. consult few of my frens and they told me contractor oso can get the job done but minus the design wise. i went to few contractors and finally decided on 1.the price is cheap and he oso giv me lots of ideas wat i should do and i shouldnt.so i suggest u look up for some ideas and go for contractor.if u want my contractor info i can pm u his contact.can say he's reliable and thrustworthy.recommended to few of my frens too n they r happy wif him.

Not all IDs are made equal.

Some shamelessly charge ID price but give worse than contractor standard, you'll get to read a lot about them here. No sense of design, uses functional but cheap and ugly accessories, low QC with their sub cons, etc.

Professional and good IDs don't come cheap, you have to be prepared to pay premium prices for your dream home.

In the meantime, get a feel of the contractor's market prices first, have an idea how much each section/item would cost.

Then approach a reputable ID or at least word of mouth from someone here with a tblog & photos to prove to compare the prices. A competent ID would make a big difference with the selection of design/lighting/laminates/curtains/colors that's in harmony with the theme.

Actually I do have friends working in ID firm, and one of them was named ID in this forum, but he's not ID at all. He's just project coordinator leh. So in a way, I'm skeptical of ID firms too. But I also scared la, since my current house done by contractor. Aiya, headache sia.

I also thinking of getting quotations from both ID and contractor. But if I don't have time to "jaguar" the reno, contractor still safe bo?

hey ossify, I just read your t-blog. you really ideas liao liao leh. Can hire you or not? You expensive bo? kekeke...

Actually I do have friends working in ID firm, and one of them was named ID in this forum, but he's not ID at all. He's just project coordinator leh. So in a way, I'm skeptical of ID firms too. But I also scared la, since my current house done by contractor. Aiya, headache sia.

I also thinking of getting quotations from both ID and contractor. But if I don't have time to "jaguar" the reno, contractor still safe bo?

hey ossify, I just read your t-blog. you really ideas liao liao leh. Can hire you or not? You expensive bo? kekeke...

my aim is to save you money, of course won't be expensive lah :D

i pm you details

thk u danial. actually its for my mum house.talk to tat contractor this morning bout what my mum wanna

do and asked him to giv me a quote.he email me the quotation few hrs later.tat was fast uh lol.he said it's just

a rough quotation based on my mum floor plan n wat she wants. Dunno wether its ex or cheap coz its my 1st time handlin all this. Can any1 help to asses my quotationas below.thanks

Demolish works

Hacking of 2 bathroom floor & wall finish

Hacking of 2 bathroom fittings & accessories

Hacking of 2 bathroom door & frames

Hacking of kitchen cabinet

Hacking of cabinet base

Total cost : $850

Masonry Works

Laying of floor and wall tiles at 2 bathrooms - $1950

Construct cabinet base - $270

Carpentry works

Install 30ft kitchen cabinet - $2700

Install 15ft solid top - $1200

labor for installation of hob & hood - $100

Plumbing works for kitchen and 2 toilets - $450

Laminate flooring for living and 2 bdrooms - $1700

Total Cost - $9220

Actually thoyght it gonna cost my mum ard 15K.was pleasently surprise to c the amount quoted hehe.

A what he said this is just a rough ly estimation of how much it gonna cost.he said he need to come down to the new

place for measurement only then he can giv me e actual quotation. will be meeting him in few days time.

Any comment or feedback on the above quotation???

thk u danial. actually its for my mum house.talk to tat contractor this morning bout what my mum wanna

do and asked him to giv me a quote.he email me the quotation few hrs later.tat was fast uh lol.he said it's just

a rough quotation based on my mum floor plan n wat she wants. Dunno wether its ex or cheap coz its my 1st time handlin all this. Can any1 help to asses my quotationas below.thanks

Demolish works

Hacking of 2 bathroom floor & wall finish

Hacking of 2 bathroom fittings & accessories

Hacking of 2 bathroom door & frames

Hacking of kitchen cabinet

Hacking of cabinet base

Total cost : $850

Masonry Works

Laying of floor and wall tiles at 2 bathrooms - $1950

Construct cabinet base - $270

Carpentry works

Install 30ft kitchen cabinet - $2700

Install 15ft solid top - $1200

labor for installation of hob & hood - $100

Plumbing works for kitchen and 2 toilets - $450

Laminate flooring for living and 2 bdrooms - $1700

Total Cost - $9220

Actually thoyght it gonna cost my mum ard 15K.was pleasently surprise to c the amount quoted hehe.

A what he said this is just a rough ly estimation of how much it gonna cost.he said he need to come down to the new

place for measurement only then he can giv me e actual quotation. will be meeting him in few days time.

Any comment or feedback on the above quotation???

this is super rough quote. there are alot of things which is not stated inside. do you want to try to get a quote from my contractor? she did my mum and my sis place. going to start mine end of this month. i think she will be slightly cheaper.

I have good recommendation for the ID too. As usual, I also sourcing for 3 of IDs and 3 contractors before choosing them. So you may want to try to contact them for comparison

I have good recommendation for the ID too. As usual, I also sourcing for 3 of IDs and 3 contractors before choosing them. So you may want to try to contact them for comparison

If you are looking for an ID specifically and have your own contractor there are companies that do as such. You would have to check what price they would charge you just for design work, and if you need them to supervise or oversee your contractor, there would be other costs. In fact they can also recommend you contractors where you deal with the contractors directly in regards to payment. This way things are more transparent and no hidden costs.