Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
lawry

Concrete Or Wooden Cabinet For Your Sink Area?

I'm curious to find out if I'm the only one facing this problem and also remedies if any.

My current kitchen wet area has a sink undermount on a granite table top with wooden cabinets (with doors) beneath. I believe this is quite a standard setup for most households in general. The area beneath the sink often ranges from moist to wet either from water sipping in from the edges, or water condensation from the sink.

I used that cabinet beneath as a storage for all the washing detergents and I leave the door open at times for the moisture to evaporate.

Lately, I realised it has gotten a lot worse, I noticed water droplets and leaks all over the place underneath. I suspect the wood is rotting as I always come across some blackish wet powder flowing down from the edges of the cabinet. There are even water droplets from the ceiling of the cabinet interiors.

I'll try to take some photos later to further illustrate the problems.

Anyone else facing similar or worse issues?

• Like 1

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I just gave it a thorough cleaning before I take a photo in case I scare anyone with the horrors beneath.

kitchensink.jpg

Problems

1) Condensation on sink surface & ceiling of cabinet?

Was it because I bought a cheapo sink?? I used to think the issue was because I leave frozen items to thaw in the sink/table top, that's why there's water droplets forming. I've stopped that practice but the problem persisted. From the reno tblog photos I've seen so far, I believe most of us has a wooden cabinet ceiling with granite/solid surface tabletop? So what's stopping the water from entering between the tabletop and the wood?

2) Black powder and water drips from joint

The black powder should be from the rotting wood? I noticed there's no silicon or rubber seal to waterproof the joints, that's why water kept seeping in from there.

3) The black rubber beneath the sink

I'm not too sure what this piece is for, but it's forever wet and sometimes dripping..

4) Leaks from the edges of the cabinet.

I've not got the slightest idea why is water coming in from there as well ...

Mine is also wooden cabinet with ganite top and ceramic sink. Moved in 2 years and so far no leakage under the sink. We do not store things in the cabinet under the sink in case the pipes leak and also to avoid creating any strange odour in the compartment.

Maybe you should check for leakage on the seal btw your sink and the table top. As for the black rubber under your sink, no idea what that is as I do not have a SS sink, but it sure is strange that it is wet all the time as you described.

TYM, what is this seal between sink and table top you're refering to?

If I remember correct, it's the wooden table base, with the sink installed on top of it (undermount), followed by the granite table top. Then there's a layer of silicon sealing the edges between the sink and the granite.

Hi! I had the same problem 3 years ago when I first moved into my current flat. There were water droplets (apparently from condensation) on the inner walls of the wooden cabinet and around the base of my SS sink. I wiped the affected area dry for a few days plus aired it but what really did the trick (I think) was the Thirsty Hippo which I placed in the cabinet. I no longer face the problem from then on. Hope this works! :P

Ummee,

I've used Thirsty Hippo last time when it wasn't as bad as now. I had to replace a new pack every week back then.

Now it has gotten worse, it's not just droplets but puddles of water forming as well. -_-

Thirsty Hippo doesn't work anymore, I might have to install a ventilation fan instead. :D

Ummee,

I've used Thirsty Hippo last time when it wasn't as bad as now. I had to replace a new pack every week back then.

Now it has gotten worse, it's not just droplets but puddles of water forming as well. -_-

Thirsty Hippo doesn't work anymore, I might have to install a ventilation fan instead. :D

Hi Lawry,

Long time no see. Look like you got a big problem down here. If I'm not wrong, 2 more years and your sink will collapse liao. Water leakage is a big problem for u now.

There are a 2 possibilities that I can think of now.

1) Your kitchen tap

2) Silicone between your cabinet top and granite top

I just gave it a thorough cleaning before I take a photo in case I scare anyone with the horrors beneath.

kitchensink.jpg

Problems

1) Condensation on sink surface & ceiling of cabinet?

Was it because I bought a cheapo sink?? I used to think the issue was because I leave frozen items to thaw in the sink/table top, that's why there's water droplets forming. I've stopped that practice but the problem persisted. From the reno tblog photos I've seen so far, I believe most of us has a wooden cabinet ceiling with granite/solid surface tabletop? So what's stopping the water from entering between the tabletop and the wood?

Nothing to do with your sink. Silicone is the one stopping the water.

2) Black powder and water drips from joint

The black powder should be from the rotting wood? I noticed there's no silicon or rubber seal to waterproof the joints, that's why water kept seeping in from there.

Black powder can be the seal use to seal between 2 granite top jointing together. Like to know your granite top jointing part is at where, mind taking a pic for me to see so that I can advise on that?

3) The black rubber beneath the sink

I'm not too sure what this piece is for, but it's forever wet and sometimes dripping..

There shouldn't be a rubber beneath the sink unless yours is a top mount.

4) Leaks from the edges of the cabinet.

I've not got the slightest idea why is water coming in from there as well ...

Beside the 2 possibilities that I mention above, the sealing for your granite top may be another possibilities.

Hi Lawry,

Long time no see. Look like you got a big problem down here. If I'm not wrong, 2 more years and your sink will collapse liao. Water leakage is a big problem for u now.

There are a 2 possibilities that I can think of now.

1) Your kitchen tap

2) Silicone between your cabinet top and granite top

My worst fears in words. :o

I was indeed thinking the whole sink might just collapse one day.

Lucky I don't have a habit of filling the sink full with water.

But I should tear it down before it decide to collapse one day ..

I just spent the last 2 hours doing up a massive silicon sealing job down there, sealing up the gaps beneath the sink and the cabinet ceiling.

1) Kitchen tap, so far it's ok, I've not detected any leaks from the tap.

2) This could be the problem, the water could be seeping in from the joint between the sink and the cabinet.

1) Nothing to do with your sink. Silicone is the one stopping the water.

There're multiple leaks, the supposedly siliconed areas and also the sink itself.

Problems surfaced with this sink from the beginning actually, I always find water vapor condensation beneath it, always wet.

These are some photos taken last time not long after installation, notice the wood's all dry and nice (they are now black and rotting)

kitchensinkvapour.jpg

Problem gotten worse, condensation is on the ceiling of the cabinet as well.

kitchensinkvapour2.jpg

2) Black powder can be the seal use to seal between 2 granite top jointing together. Like to know your granite top jointing part is at where, mind taking a pic for me to see so that I can advise on that?

The black powder is just rotten wood particles mixed with water, it's flowing down the edges like a gross waterfall.

Sorry, I don't get what you meant by granite top jointing part?

3/4 later. :D

3) There shouldn't be a rubber beneath the sink unless yours is a top mount.

My rubber refers to the 2 big pieces at the bottom of the individual sinks as circled, it's probably dripping wet because of the sink's condensation beneath as well.

kitchensinkrubber.jpg

4) Beside the 2 possibilities that I mention above, the sealing for your granite top may be another possibilities.

This could be more likely the case. Imagine the 3 layers

kitchensinkseal.jpg

1. granite top (black)

1.5. insert silicon between joints.

2. sink undermount (silver)

3. wood

There's only a simple layer of silicon that's fusing the undermount sink and granite top. If there's a leak between the granite and the sink, it will easily reach the wood, and nothing stopping it from flowing beyond that.

Edited by lawry

3) There shouldn't be a rubber beneath the sink unless yours is a top mount.

My rubber refers to the 2 big pieces at the bottom of the individual sinks as circled, it's probably dripping wet because of the sink's condensation beneath as well.

kitchensinkrubber.jpg

4) Beside the 2 possibilities that I mention above, the sealing for your granite top may be another possibilities.

This could be more likely the case. Imagine the 3 layers

kitchensinkseal.jpg

1. granite top (black)

1.5. insert silicon between joints.

2. sink undermount (silver)

3. wood

There's only a simple layer of silicon that's fusing the undermount sink and granite top. If there's a leak between the granite and the sink, it will easily reach the wood, and nothing stopping it from flowing beyond that.

wow your pics looks very scary :D

personally, i use a ceramic sink, no condensation below, even when i thaw frozen foods in it.

anyway, i'm using ikea domjos sink above the wooden cabinet.

Edited by ossify