Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
lawry

Concrete Or Wooden Cabinet For Your Sink Area?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

To test on whether is the tap internal leakage or the sink leakage,

1) off the valve connecting to the tap's hose.

2) release off the remaining water in the tap.

3) Clean the "condensation" water beneath the sink.

4) Wait and see unlit there is no dripping of water.

5) Fill your sink half full.

6) Wait and see any condensation water not.

If yes, your sink is the problem (see where the water is forming at, it can be your bottle trap 'O'-ring there leakage also). If not,

1) On the valve.

2) Don't use the tap.

3)Wait and see.(Usually, u waited how long after cleaning there start to have "condensation" water?)

If yes, your tap maybe the problem.

While doing the testing, u can tear out the black rubber.

Hi Lawry,

I have just moved in a week ago and from yesterday, we have noticed water on our under the sink cabinets. We have called our contractor and he has promised to view it, most probably after CNY. I noticed that our sinks are quite similar. Is yours a Critzo, that comes with a larger waste/ drainage holes?

My rubber refers to the 2 big pieces at the bottom of the individual sinks as circled, it's probably dripping wet because of the sink's condensation beneath as well.

--------------------------

These are sound-deadening pads - to absorb the sound when water hits the stainless steel sink. Mainly bitumen or tar-based with adhesive-backing to stick to the stainless steel surface, they should not be dripping wet as this will cause adhesive delamination.

wow your pics looks very scary :D

personally, i use a ceramic sink, no condensation below, even when i thaw frozen foods in it.

anyway, i'm using ikea domjos sink above the wooden cabinet.

I was looking at ceramic sinks back then, but couldn't really find one with the right design/color, so end up getting SS.

sinke.png

Actually what I mean on the tap is this.

sink.jpg

There's no silicon on the tap base, it's sitting on the sink surface.

I think I know where the leaks are already. :(

Will explain more in a later post and some possible remedies.

Hi Lawry,

I have just moved in a week ago and from yesterday, we have noticed water on our under the sink cabinets. We have called our contractor and he has promised to view it, most probably after CNY. I noticed that our sinks are quite similar. Is yours a Critzo, that comes with a larger waste/ drainage holes?

Hi, I'm not sure what's the brand of the sink, but I bought it from ESH along Jalan Besar Rd.

This is how it looks like from the top.

sink.jpg

The attached dustbin itself is an issue too (if you have one as well), water goes in from the gap ..)

I sealed up the whole dustbin with aluminium tape entirely.

Dear fellow expert, i am wondering if top-mount of Sink will be less of a problem compare to under-mont ? I got a "granite sink" and everyone want me to install as top-mount instead of under-mount. I still couldn't make up my mind.

Hi, I'm not sure what's the brand of the sink, but I bought it from ESH along Jalan Besar Rd.

This is how it looks like from the top.

sink.jpg

The attached dustbin itself is an issue too (if you have one as well), water goes in from the gap ..)

I sealed up the whole dustbin with aluminium tape entirely.

-After reading your posts, find interesting. For more than 17 years, I do all the home repairs, from electrical, building, sanitary, glass, etc. Never see the water dropplets as much as in the pictures. Gasket leak is not like that.

- From the wall stains, there are some fine "gaps" between the sink edge & wall, gaps cause likely due to mechnical stress(body knock, plates weight, etc) after sometime, the "alignment out. Putty or cement (hard types) are no good to seal the gaps, use silicon, best use black color. If use transparent or white, after some time will develope "fungi" black spots here and there on the silicon.

- Your "under sink compartment" links to any stove or any possibility always having "warm" air trapped there? Condensation occurs only when "hot" air with high humidity meets cold object(sink)

- My MIL who cooks, sometime on & off leave the sink's under cabinet door open. My 10-door shoe cabinet doors also leave open sometime for "air-exchange".

Edited by bepgof

-After reading your posts, find interesting. For more than 17 years, I do all the home repairs, from electrical, building, sanitary, glass, etc. Never see the water dropplets as much as in the pictures. Gasket leak is not like that.

- From the wall stains, there are some fine "gaps" between the sink edge & wall, gaps cause likely due to mechnical stress(body knock, plates weight, etc) after sometime, the "alignment out. Putty or cement (hard types) are no good to seal the gaps, use silicon, best use black color. If use transparent or white, after some time will develope "fungi" black spots here and there on the silicon.

- Your "under sink compartment" links to any stove or any possibility always having "warm" air trapped there? Condensation occurs only when "hot" air with high humidity meets cold object(sink)

- My MIL who cooks, sometime on & off leave the sink's under cabinet door open. My 10-door shoe cabinet doors also leave open sometime for "air-exchange".

Is that sink an undermount sink or a top mount sink? Nowadays, a lot of shops sell top mount sink and tell ppl can undermount...A lot of people do liao then all leak...

for those who are encountering such leaks or have encountered such leaks, may i ask if all of you are using granite or marble for your counter-top?

Hi Lawry

Its been awhile since you last posted here. Did you manage to solve the problem?

I am facing the same issue too - mine is solid surface with a ss sink undermounted. The leakage is terrible, and the wood has rot so bad that fungi is growing (its very very gross). In fact about 6-7 months after the renovation, the wood had started to rot and I had the contractor redo the affected part. It has been about 5 years since then and now the problem is even much worse. Its so bad that I think the sink may collapse soon. I'm looking to redo the kitchen and build concrete sink support - no more plywood for me!

Anyone has got a reliable contractor that can do a good job to recommend?

I'm curious to find out if I'm the only one facing this problem and also remedies if any.

My current kitchen wet area has a sink undermount on a granite table top with wooden cabinets (with doors) beneath. I believe this is quite a standard setup for most households in general. The area beneath the sink often ranges from moist to wet either from water sipping in from the edges, or water condensation from the sink.

I used that cabinet beneath as a storage for all the washing detergents and I leave the door open at times for the moisture to evaporate.

Lately, I realised it has gotten a lot worse, I noticed water droplets and leaks all over the place underneath. I suspect the wood is rotting as I always come across some blackish wet powder flowing down from the edges of the cabinet. There are even water droplets from the ceiling of the cabinet interiors.

I'll try to take some photos later to further illustrate the problems.

Anyone else facing similar or worse issues?

I having the same problem as you. This Dec going to demantle it and rebuild it by brick. Main problem is the carpenter didn't use silicon to seal up properly

I have asked around regarding this issue that you are facing.

Seems like your renovation work for your sink area is not very good in terms of its workmanship.