Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
lawry

Concrete Or Wooden Cabinet For Your Sink Area?

It's been a while since I last visited renotalk. :D

My solution,

I scrap out all the silicon on the top part of the sink, the original seal was very badly done. After cleaning up the surface with alcohol, I applied a new layer of silicon, wait 24hrs for it to dry and cure. Then apply another layer over it. The solution worked for a while, then the silicon started peeling again ........

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
It's been a while since I last visited renotalk. :D

My solution,

I scrap out all the silicon on the top part of the sink, the original seal was very badly done. After cleaning up the surface with alcohol, I applied a new layer of silicon, wait 24hrs for it to dry and cure. Then apply another layer over it. The solution worked for a while, then the silicon started peeling again ........

It's like that. Silicon isn't a very good choice coz I also face the same problem. Due to the expansion and contraction, they usually leave gap in between. I remember seeing some stuff on market. name is like "bondite" or something.

Hi Reno Experts,

I am having my kitchen basin PROBLEM as above.

My kitchen basin under-mounted Korean brand solid surface.

No chopping of food or chicken ever done on the basin surface.

Only washing of dishes and cutting of vegetables.

Silicone turn mouldy n black, peel off and water seepage into below area and to my wooden doors.

Patched up 1st time by contractor with silicone. Last for half year.

Patched up 2nd time by NTUC home service with epxoy filler. Cannot resolve problem too.

Is it common problem?

My previous under-mounted kitchen basin and concrete sink area (already constructed and installed by HDB) did not have such problem for almost 25 years.

Actually, I asked my ID designer to follow the previous structure of concrete sink area (under-mounted layout) during kitchen renovation.

There was a height of about 10 cm between tiles and under-mounted kitchen sink. I always used bleaching detergent to clean off stain or moulds on the white area and encountered NO water leaking.

Too sad, my ID designer did not do so.

How to DIY myself to fill up the water gaps?

Any suggestion? Which brand works well?

Thanks

Hi Reno Experts,

I am having my kitchen basin PROBLEM as above.

My kitchen basin under-mounted Korean brand solid surface.

No chopping of food or chicken ever done on the basin surface.

Only washing of dishes and cutting of vegetables.

Silicone turn mouldy n black, peel off and water seepage into below area and to my wooden doors.

Patched up 1st time by contractor with silicone. Last for half year.

Patched up 2nd time by NTUC home service with epxoy filler. Cannot resolve problem too.

Is it common problem?

My previous under-mounted kitchen basin and concrete sink area (already constructed and installed by HDB) did not have such problem for almost 25 years.

Actually, I asked my ID designer to follow the previous structure of concrete sink area (under-mounted layout) during kitchen renovation.

There was a height of about 10 cm between tiles and under-mounted kitchen sink. I always used bleaching detergent to clean off stain or moulds on the white area and encountered NO water leaking.

Too sad, my ID designer did not do so.

How to DIY myself to fill up the water gaps?

Any suggestion? Which brand works well?

Thanks

would it be better if you post some picture of your problem?

might be better to advise you then.

1. make sure the sink to counter top is will sillicon.

2. the plumbing is installed and seal well with sealant.

other then that, there shouldn't be any problem.

It's been a while. :D

I just tore down the entire sink area and replaced it with concrete stand.

Pictures coming soon when it's done.

Hi lawry, I am curious do you have to tear down the countertop when you build the concrete support for your kitchen sink? Hope you can share your built in concrete support with us soon.

Yes, if you're changing a new sink. (different size, different cut out)

*No, if you're reusing the old sink. (They will take special care to preserve it when tearing down the cabinet)

PS*

It also depends on the size of your old cabinet, a standard concrete stand is supposedly 600mm width, while my old wooden cabinet is only 550mm width, so obviously my old granite table top would be too small.

In the event that it can be recyled, savings almost $1000

Granite's $100 to $120 per foot run, mine's about $600 for 5ft.

Sink & Tap is another $300 to $500 depending on what model/brand you get.

My old SS sink/tap's tarnished and chui after so many years, so might as well change everything. :D

It's been a while. :D

I just tore down the entire sink area and replaced it with concrete stand.

Pictures coming soon when it's done.

Lawry, my mom is very interested to see how your sink area has been replaced with concrete stand. Can u post up the pictures?

We are getting our cabinets made soon, will need to rethink over the sink leakage and rotting cabinet possibility

Hi Lawry,

Which contractor did you approach for this work?

Looking for a reliable contractor to do my falling sink (It's going to fall anytime soon) and the rotting wood.

Not sure if contractor can just hack and do the sink area or have to do the whole stretch of kitchen cabinet.

• Like 2

Usually sink is within a single modular cabinet. So replacement us just one small carcass. Also depends whether there is solid top or not.

Hi, if I ever have to replace that carcass, will it be a big problem if my kitchen sink is an "undermount" on granite top, or it's better to have an "overmount" in case I have to change the carcass due to sink leakages?

Hi,

I have the intention to build bottom concrete cabinets in the kitchen instead of just wooden cabinets. Estimated to be about 20ft(both sides of the kitchen) in total. However I was told by one of the ID designer that we are only allowed to build a maximum 10ft of concrete due to HDB restrictions. Is this true? Does anyone of you have met with the same situation? Please share your experience.

Thank you.

I am facing a similar problem like Lawry. Has anyone replaced the wooden cabinet to a concrete support? I intend to do replace mine and need advice from those who have done so. Thanks for sharing.