Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
lawry

Concrete Or Wooden Cabinet For Your Sink Area?

I planning a concrete stand frame with granite top with under mount sink for my coming bto unit.

Spend a bit of money now then to face the big problem of tearing down the wooden support and sink area in future

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Best recommendation - hidden concrete support for good reliable structure, top with good heat resistant granite table top and lastly top mount stainless steel sink.

The concrete will hold the table top with the sink resting on it. Visualize it, draw it and understand it.

Hope this helps.

I planning a concrete stand frame with granite top with under mount sink for my coming bto unit.

Spend a bit of money now then to face the big problem of tearing down the wooden support and sink area in future

Bro, so what is supporting ur sink? Wood or the concrete? If concrete meaning the concrete is under or holding the sink? Or maybe the concrete is just supporting your table top?

Will be great if u can share some pics.

Thanks

Edited by asmani85

Hi, if I ever have to replace that carcass, will it be a big problem if my kitchen sink is an "undermount" on granite top, or it's better to have an "overmount" in case I have to change the carcass due to sink leakages?

I think overmount is better than undermount.

Firstly, it will be supported by the table top.

Secondly, we can ensure the seal between the sink n table top is in good condition.

Thirdly, we might not need a concrete support to hold the sink as it was supported by the table top.

Fourth, changing of sink is easier.

We must understand what is the concrete structure supporting... The sink or the table top...

But for long lasting kitchen cabinet, it is still recommended to have concrete supports near the sink and hob area.

Anyone having concrete support for sink had to top up additional money for the table top (e.g. granite/ quartz)? I was thinking of having concrete support for sink and a wooden cabinet beside it. Whole stretch topped with same table top and front covered up by same wooden door.

However, I was told that with concrete support, the depth of the sink top will exceed the standard 600 mm and I need to top up additional money to have a bigger table top to cover the top. It is impossible to construct the concrete support within 600 mm because of some metal piece inside the concrete to support the whole structure. Anyone can has similar problem or you have no problem at all?

TIA

I'm also redoing my kitchen and planning for concrete support for under mount sink. and wooden cabinet besides it... I had under mount sink with wooden cabinets... after 10 years of usage... water seepage starts under and the wooden support no longer can support... the sink came out a little loose..

I was considering top mount next.. but top mount is usually sealed with silicon around it.. long run the silicon will also wear off and worst turn mouldy and unsightly since water cannot sweep into the sink as easily as under mount.. the next solution is to build concrete support for under mount sink as my ID suggested. cant show any picture how it would look like yet as I'm pending ID drawings...