Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
htng

Is It A Good Idea To Build Study Table Near Window?

Hi

I intend to built a 45cm deep study table at my window area. My window are those 1/2 height type. I wonder whether anyone can share their experience? Will it sort of be very difficult to close my window?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Definitely difficult to close and open the windows. Moreover, natural lighting though beautiful but it's not suitable for desk work. There's glare, too bright, too dim are all bad for the the eyes. Light conditions varies even within minutes.

Best for table to be away from windows and use artificial table lights like 3M.

Definitely difficult to close and open the windows. Moreover, natural lighting though beautiful but it's not suitable for desk work. There's glare, too bright, too dim are all bad for the the eyes. Light conditions varies even within minutes.

Best for table to be away from windows and use artificial table lights like 3M.

Sorry, my mistake for not explaining properly. My intention is to put my laptop and also just some casual writting like cheques.

Hi htng,

I've got the same plans in mind for my reno. I'd opted for 60cm depth built-in study desk similar to the ones that you'd see for those office cubicles. Yes, I'd agree that it might be a bit of a challenge closing 'em windows especially if yours are of the "push-out-pull-in" types.

Cheers!

Sorry, my mistake for not explaining properly. My intention is to put my laptop and also just some casual writting like cheques.

Hi htng,

I've got the same plans in mind for my reno. I'd opted for 60cm depth built-in study desk similar to the ones that you'd see for those office cubicles. Yes, I'd agree that it might be a bit of a challenge closing 'em windows especially if yours are of the "push-out-pull-in" types.

Cheers!

Hi

An example is shown here. My contractor say it is still ok if it is like 45cm. Anything wider is more challenging. I saw this great design from Mashi Mashi. Take a look

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?ac...sult_type=posts

Yeah, the desk for the study room pic looks good. It depends really, on your own needs. My wife would probably be okay with 45cm but I need more leg room! :P

Hi

An example is shown here. My contractor say it is still ok if it is like 45cm. Anything wider is more challenging. I saw this great design from Mashi Mashi. Take a look

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?ac...sult_type=posts

Yeah, the desk for the study room pic looks good. It depends really, on your own needs. My wife would probably be okay with 45cm but I need more leg room! :P

:D . I guess it is ok. Your arms must be long since u have long legs. I think 45cm - 60cm is max as anything more might be difficult to open and close window fully.

As long as u don't do perm build-in fixture u shld be fine. Make it flexible or movable for easy access n cleaning. Also do take note of the possbilities/ risks of kidz climbing up the desk.. :o

I have my study table at the windows when I was younger. Being my mum's theory that I can look out the window so as not to affect my eyesight when I'm studying.

But when it rains my table will be drenched if the windows are not closed.

i think its not a good idea to place a study table near the window since

in studying you need to focus on the things that you are doing

and if you are near the window you will be distracted by the things

that you can see outside the window.

any idea how much will such 'built-in' study table cost ? by per feet ? thanks

6ft x 2 ft with backdrop, right side at study area, see window with 2 bars & curtain.

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/2052/dscn0721qc.jpg

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/3164/dscn0731m.jpg

Another 6ft x 2ft with backdrop, left side at study area, table top covered with tamper glass

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/5125/dscn0761d.jpg

Total cost: $1560.00 No proble close/open casement window & full height curtain.

Edited by bepgof