Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
yewmun@yahoo.com

Can Install Storage Water Heater For My House?

Hi,

Sorry I am not very familiar with storage water heaters so I need so advice here. My new house is in Jurong West and it has already comes with concealed water piping for the 2 toilets and HDB also installed the mixer taps too. Now my question is what is the recommended capacity if I want to install a electirc storage type water heater for my 2 toilets? I don't see any piping to connect the storage water heater to the 2 toilets water pipe leh. Maybe I "sua-gu" that's why din notice. Can anyone recommend a reliable brand and not too expensive one hor. : ) Thanks ar!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi,

Sorry I am not very familiar with storage water heaters so I need so advice here. My new house is in Jurong West and it has already comes with concealed water piping for the 2 toilets and HDB also installed the mixer taps too. Now my question is what is the recommended capacity if I want to install a electirc storage type water heater for my 2 toilets? I don't see any piping to connect the storage water heater to the 2 toilets water pipe leh. Maybe I "sua-gu" that's why din notice. Can anyone recommend a reliable brand and not too expensive one hor. : ) Thanks ar!

Do you have more than 6 people staying in your home ? If not, using instant water heater in each toilet is good enough. I recommend you to buy Panasonic because they are aesthically designed, water and energy saving. Go to Alexandra Village and check out the prices. Don't buy those "British" or "ulu" brands, they don't last.

Most storage water heaters look bulky and if the exterior is not cleaned regularly, dust and rust will set in. Your bathroom will look no different from the factories along Kian Teck Road !

Hi, I got this copper pipe protruding out from the wall in my common toilet. I was wondering what is it for... Could it be for connecting the storage water heater to supply hot water to the master room's toilet... All the water pipes are concealed in my new house so I don't know what this pipe is for. How can i attach the photo which I took to show u all for better clarity? Thanks!

Hi, I got this copper pipe protruding out from the wall in my common toilet. I was wondering what is it for... Could it be for connecting the storage water heater to supply hot water to the master room's toilet... All the water pipes are concealed in my new house so I don't know what this pipe is for. How can i attach the photo which I took to show u all for better clarity? Thanks!

Is your home a resale flat ? There is no reason for a copper pipe to stick out unless someone removed something,eg. storage water heater.

Is there water flowing into your MBR toilet at the moment ? Usually the water mains flow from kitchen to common toilet and then to MBR toilet. If there is water flowing already, then this pipe could be for the air-con drainage.

Nope mine is a first hand new flat... I saw this pipe there so dun know what it is for.. WEnt to ask the HDB property officer in charge of our area and he also dun know wor... :angry:

Ya there is water flowing to my MBR toilet.... That's why I asked how to post a pic in this forum so that it is easier for me to explain lor...

Nope mine is a first hand new flat... I saw this pipe there so dun know what it is for.. WEnt to ask the HDB property officer in charge of our area and he also dun know wor... :angry:

Ya there is water flowing to my MBR toilet.... That's why I asked how to post a pic in this forum so that it is easier for me to explain lor...

Just went in the HDB website and saw the sketches for flats with concealed piping. The copper pipe should be capped right ? This is for the plumber to tap water and extend the piping to your water heater or additional bath tap.

Eh the copper pipe is not capped leh.... It's a like a "S" shape.. one end from the wall and the other end is exposed....

So meaning I can install a storage water heater in the common toilet and use this pipe to supply hot water to the shower mixer taps in my MBR toilet..? :unsure:

Eh the copper pipe is not capped leh.... It's a like a "S" shape.. one end from the wall and the other end is exposed....

So meaning I can install a storage water heater in the common toilet and use this pipe to supply hot water to the shower mixer taps in my MBR toilet..? :unsure:

Hon's posting is the reason why I discourage home owners from installing a storage type water heater. It is even more so for your type of concealed piping toilet because HDB has guidelines on where you can drill and where you cannot. If the plumbers are unfamiliar and use screws that are not thick and long enough, crashes like this can happen. Storage water heaters are designed for use in countries with cold winters. Instant heaters don't deliver heated water instantly in cold weather.

Back to your question, where does the S shape pipe lead to in your MBR ? I understand that one end is opened in your common toilet but the other end must be connected to either your wash basin tap or bath tap in your MBR . If it is neither, is there a gas pipe leading to your toilet ?

I think the other end of the pipe which is inside the wall may be like what u say connected to the bath tap in the MBR bah.. but how to find out? :P

So u are recommending to install instant heaters for both toilets instead of a storage one to share between the 2 toilets? Is it more energy efficient that way?

I think the other end of the pipe which is inside the wall may be like what u say connected to the bath tap in the MBR bah.. but how to find out? :P

So u are recommending to install instant heaters for both toilets instead of a storage one to share between the 2 toilets? Is it more energy efficient that way?

If you have a Rainbow vacuum cleaner, you can blow air into the pipe and see whether air is coming out from MBR tap (which is unlikely since you say got water already) ! The plumber should know what to do if he installs the water heater for you.

Instant water heaters don't use more electricity than storage type heaters. The water tank in an instant water heater is probably the same size as your coffee cup. The heating element can be rated between 1000W ~ 3000W depending on brand but this doesn't mean that it will suck up that much energy. The internal thermostat regulates it quite well since a small volume of water heats up faster than a large volume of water (storage water heater). If you still intend to use the storage type, think of the energy that is used to heat up the volume of water inside the tank and go unused because you don't need that much water for a bath.

I recommend you to use Panasonic brand for instant water heater because they look good esthetically & efficient...not the cheapest though !

Edited by asoon88

go for this brand Joven if getting a storage water heater. a 25L (cost around $230) will be good enough.

can search old threads for members feedback about Joven.