Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ericmar

Overlay Wall & Floor Tiles. Is It A Good Idea?

Hi,

I went to meet an ID yesterday and she suggested me to do overlay wall and floor tiles for my kitchen and bathroom. My new place is a 7~8yrs flat and the condition is actually still okay (at least I think so). Therefore, she suggested overlay rather than hacking off the existing one to save up some costs.

My question is if this is fine and what are the Pros & Cons? Costs wise I think this can save up a bit but would there be any problem in the long run? From the way the ID talked to me, she kinda like advising not to hack if it is possible so that can save costs and probably works.

Anyone?

Thanks.

Eric

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi,

I went to meet an ID yesterday and she suggested me to do overlay wall and floor tiles for my kitchen and bathroom. My new place is a 7~8yrs flat and the condition is actually still okay (at least I think so). Therefore, she suggested overlay rather than hacking off the existing one to save up some costs.

My question is if this is fine and what are the Pros & Cons? Costs wise I think this can save up a bit but would there be any problem in the long run? From the way the ID talked to me, she kinda like advising not to hack if it is possible so that can save costs and probably works.

Anyone?

Thanks.

Eric

it depends on the workmanship for the current tiles. if its done well. then overlaying won't be a problem. if its shoddily done, and the tiles actually "pop" after overlaying, the new tiles will also be affected and u have to spend more to rectify.

in my opinion yr ID is pretty honest.

Most ID here in Spore are in for a killing, HACKing flooring and stuffs are their best income !

On overlay over existing flooring, there are mainly 2-3 points to note :

a) making sure the existing does not have a history of water-proofing issue..... with yr frd down-stair !

b) u will have to remove doors to trim the bottom to fit the extra thickness.

c) good contractor needed to avoid tiles poping in future.... not just workmanship...but also the cement used !

Thanks guys!

I just got the quotation from her. It seems that the hacking costs is lesser but still the tiles laying costs do not reduce much.

I wonder if it is better to just hack away with a top-up of a few hundred dollars since not much difference though.

Thanks guys!

I just got the quotation from her. It seems that the hacking costs is lesser but still the tiles laying costs do not reduce much.

I wonder if it is better to just hack away with a top-up of a few hundred dollars since not much difference though.

if your ID has those packages for resale units.. the price may not differ that much

just curious,

you can overlay old cement wall/floor tiles with new cement wall/floor tiles for Kitchen and Toilets?

Hi,

Anyone?

Thanks.

Eric

Hi,

I am in the mid of my renovation. I overlay my toilet wall tiles but not floor. I hack my toilet floor tiles and did waterproofing cos is an old apartment. My contractor advise is, due to is an old apartment, if there is any leakage, it's going to be very troublesome.